How would you rate player ability?

Most people come up with beginner, intermediate and advanced, I think there is room for one more, maybe expert.  Just off the top of my head..

Beginner - A player who is still struggling to survive winter, knows a few basics but a lot of the world is still new to them.

Intermediate - Can survive all four seasons and is learning how to deal with giants and the ruins.

Advanced - Can handle any giant solo (with the exception of Fuelweaver), is very adept at exploring the ruins and has an in depth knowledge of crafting.

Expert - This is a player who has advanced farming techniques, has developed significant exploits in dealing with the giants and can execute speed runs.

How do you rate players, what do you look for in determining their proficiency?

I clasify players based on their decision making and problem solving in the game, and then sort of group em as:

Begginer - Does not know yet all the game basics and will fail at basic survival and sustenance at some point. There are sub levels to it but to me anyone who fails to survive indefinately against the land is in the begginer area. May or may not know how to kite enemies. Usually these players don't know how to handle bosses at all, but ive seen some smart exceptions, luring deerclops n such.

Intermediate - A player that is knowleadgeable of all the basics for long term survival and would live indefinately if left on his own. Is decent kiting creatures but still struggles in long boss fights or ruins clearings.

Advanced player - Does know all or most there is to know about the game, and has enough knowledge and experience to improvise strategies and make the best of most circumstances. You see them in games usually as those guys that very rarely die, have good focus on their objectives, act as good leaders against bosses and know how to solo most of them if required to. They tend to have 2 or 3 solutions up their sleeve to each situation they face. As for megabase builders and speed runners they are just advanced players with megabase or speedrun objectives in mind.

Joeshmocoolmostuff level - Thats probably just him. Let him find 10 twigs, 4 flint and 6 grass, and will come with toadstool's skin, bee queen helmet, and dragonfly scales before sunset. If I was a dont starve boss and saw him enter in my land, I'd ragequit.

Beginner - very common type of players in every region. This class has a large range of noobism levels. Term "beginner" variates from players who have 0 hours in this game to players who don't know how which items are good for specific situations and which items are a waste. Most of them don't know how to kite. There is a couple of factors that can help a player to determine whether he/she is playing with a beginner:

• Base in the beefalo herd
  • Base right next to the portal
  • Basic farms
  • Survival mode only
  • Mods such as: storm cellar, extra equip slots, tell me, global positions, etc
  • Always wears a backpack
  • Never enables the caves (even if does, never goes there)
  • Never destroys the world (digging up mushrooms, hammering pig houses etc)

Most experienced players prefer to avoid beginners, because they might cause more troubles.

Medium - can survive all four seasons on default settings, usually being half-dead. Knows kiting and some tactics on killing/using mobs. Doesn't know many crockpot recipes, cooks mostly meatballs. Medium-skill players are also a very common type of players around the world.

Advanced - this type of players is very rare. They know how to restore HP very quick, are not afraid of insanity, know all the crockpot recipes, do not waste their resources and can survive all the seasons without problems. Advanced players prefer to play in small co-op groups with players of the same skill level or solo.

Expert - endangered species, they are well-known for ability to kill everything without getting hit. We do everything we can to protect those types of players from disappearing. 

1 hour ago, Alarsin said:
  • Survival mode only

What? How are these exclusive to beginners? Extra inventory space is useful to players of all skill levels, and survival mode is the most punishing mode available. I mean you don't have any risk of losing your world, and you can respawn for free on endless or wilderness mode. So wouldn't these be the beginner choices?

1 hour ago, Alarsin said:

Never destroys the world (digging up mushrooms, hammering pig houses etc)

Also, some people like to preserve their world you know. In my current world I only got 3 pig houses around the pig king, and I wasted resources just to build more around the area instead of closer to my camp to farm more. I personally prefer seeing the pig king actually have pigs around him. Although pig houses outside of villages I usually hammer down without a second thought if I happen to have a hammer on me.

I was gonna say!--wouldn't a noob be the player who DOES go around destroying unrenewable resources, _because they don't yet know the consequences_?  And...why would anyone want to knowingly do this on purpose? To me doing stuff like digging up rabbit holes or mushrooms is a sign of impatience, lack of game-knowledge and probably also immaturity.

Anyway.  I...don't agree with the categories as _any_one has written them here so far.  This whole thread is way too combat-worshippy without acknowledging that other skills are valuable too.  I STRONGLY disagree with the idea that if you don't single-combat bosses, you're a bad player.  If this was a game where combat was absolutely necessary and you couldn't progress without it, full stop, then sure.  But this game is a sandbox that gives you OPTIONS--and that's one of the awesome things about it!

Exploring, trickery, knowledge of the land, crafting, recipes, knowing the ins-and-outs of how the world ticks and being able to deal with the seasons--even when they surprise you!--are perfectly legit abilities too.  Maybe we could have more than one category per "rank", like "Intermediate Survivor" and "Intermediate Fighter" or something?  The way this thread is written so far, it makes it sound as if strategic players who can survive a whole year without a base, no problem are on the same level as those who don't know that beefalo go red-butt sometimes.  That is definitely NOT the case!

...Notorious

5 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Advanced player - Does know all or most there is to know about the game, and has enough knowledge and experience to improvise strategies and make the best of most circumstances. You see them in games usually as those guys that very rarely die, have good focus on their objectives, act as good leaders against bosses and know how to solo most of them if required to. They tend to have 2 or 3 solutions up their sleeve to each situation they face. As for megabase builders and speed runners they are just advanced players with megabase or speedrun objectives in mind.

Kinda me.. I lie somewhat in between Intermediate and Advanced..

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

But everyone progresses.. Everyone has time to improve.. The beginner today could be the  Joeshmocoolmostuff expert player tomorrow..

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

If I were to have a ranking system, this would be it:

Extreme Beginner- Has the basic knowledge to get up to Science-Machine level. Still tests out every single character

-

Beginner- Gets to the level to craft the DLC Alchemy Engine (Remember the different recipes between non- DLC and DLC crafting) Still has trouble choosing their main character

-

Intermediate- Prehistenator (I'm not going to bother write that) or has HALF the materials to make a shadow manipulator (Not scared to fight shadow monsters, lose sanity etc.) Is sorta comfortable with their main character they use

-

Advanced- Has the courage to get to the shadow manipulator level, is not a quitter if Deerclops destroys every aspect of your base. Has a perfect main character for them.

-

Expert- Has made it to the Ancient P Station and has the materials to craft a full thulecite set ON THEIR OWN, not accompanied by others. Can live with most characters OUTSIDE of their usual character.

-

Extreme Expert- Lives as Wes and does all of the Expert stuff mentioned above. Kills Ancient Fuelweaver DAY ONE

Also PLEASE do not use 'noob'. It generally teases an amount of people who do not know how to play. Trust me, you were there..

@CaptainChaotica as in another topic was said, some things like rabbit holes do respawn, but i still think digging mushrooms is okay thing to do [unless it's close to camp and\or is a ring]

what i do agree is that manual boss slaughtering is not the measurer of player's skill, but the ability to make their death happen can be

i'd personally would add planning ahead as another measurer, especially for base building

@DatShadowJK no, it's not true, those who came from ds are not noobs (unless they are noobs in ds as well), they do have to adapt a bit though

4 hours ago, Alarsin said:

I'm sorry, but this argument annoys me to no end. I see a lot of elitist players claiming that you should "drop your backpack" because it'll help you "learn about inventory management", yet no one considers the fact that we can still manage our inventory even with a backpack, so the extra inventory slots barely make a difference. And being able to carry more loot from your hunting trip is a plus of backpacks too. If apparently being able to consistently kite every enemy perfectly is an attribute of pro players, why would they need to wear armor all the time, like y'all are implying? And i know that it frees up a slot for seasonal equipment, but to be honest you can easily just pack an umbrella or thermal stone WITHOUT sacrificing your inventory space because "muh backpack is a noob trap"

Ugh these threads are like feeding troughs for egos. Step right up and assert your digital superiority by ranting to yourself about what your completely arbitrary view of a worthy life form is. At least one of these show up once a month. Great.

M.V.P is the person who has fun and helps others have fun. Could not give less of a damn about how efficiently they use the crockpot or whether they can noscope 360 kite Dragonfly as unarmed Wes. The only good that needs to be getting in video games is the ability to be a fun player, which most people fail at completely.

1 minute ago, The Curator said:

M.V.P is the person who has fun and helps others have fun. Could not give less of a damn about how efficiently they use the crockpot or whether they can noscope 360 kite Dragonfly as unarmed Wes. The only good that needs to be getting in video games is the ability to be a fun player, which most people fail at completely.

I'm sorry, but if you haven't beaten Dragonfly to death with a luxury shovel by day three, you're just bad, and certainly not any fun to play with.

Is this topic really useful ? What's the point of rating players abilities ? Is Don't Starve Together a competitive game where players abilities matters so much ? Do I have to kill Toadstool on Day 2 to be a ''pro player'' ? Why so many unuseful topics are made ?

how to play don't starve together 101

• make a random base in the middle of a swamp away from everyone else
  • ignore any and all newcomers or people who want to talk
  • constantly ask whether or not your teammates want to kill dragonfly on day 6
  • bloat your ego by claiming you're the advanced expert player who knows all the strats because you can kite a treeguard
  • blame all the problems in the base on everyone else because obviously YOU'RE the hardworking wigfrid that brings heaps of meat to base and OBVIOUSLY everyone else is just wasting it!!!!!
  • never wear a backpack, pick flowers, break pig houses or walk remotely near beefalo because it's a #noobtrap
  • have triumphant wigfrid

8 minutes ago, Palecwsmalec1 said:

how to play don't starve together 101

• make a random base in the middle of a swamp away from everyone else
  • ignore any and all newcomers or people who want to talk
  • constantly ask whether or not your teammates want to kill dragonfly on day 6
  • bloat your ego by claiming you're the advanced expert player who knows all the strats because you can kite a treeguard
  • blame all the problems in the base on everyone else because obviously YOU'RE the hardworking wigfrid that brings heaps of meat to base and OBVIOUSLY everyone else is just wasting it!!!!!
  • never wear a backpack, pick flowers, break pig houses or walk remotely near beefalo because it's a #noobtrap
  • have triumphant wigfrid

man this guy's makin me feel bad for pickin' wigfrid... lol

Just now, StarmanNess said:

man this guy's makin me feel bad for pickin' wigfrid... lol

there are some great wigs out there, in fact i've met one recently. Made me a helmet instantly and went on their merry way. I like that mindset- what i'm criticising here is people who barely hunt and then blame everyone else for making meatballs with "their" monster meat.

I guess I rate player ability as "Mostly above mine."

More seriously, I think it's largely what you play with:  science, alchemy, magic, shadows.  As you get better you work more on the "higher tier" crafting machines -- eventually you need to go to the ruins to craft.  I'm a terrible player -- I typically play at the alchemy engine level and I usually die because I play Wes and am not good.  (and because RL rarely gives me much more than an hour of free-time in a shot)

Just now, Palecwsmalec1 said:

there are some great wigs out there, in fact i've met one recently. Made me a helmet instantly and went on their merry way. I like that mindset- what i'm criticising here is people who barely hunt and then blame everyone else for making meatballs with "their" monster meat.

I tend to do that without thinking, actually. Just feels right to give my allies some armor.

See, I'm used to having people eat my food, cause I tend to play with a few friends who are new at the game (one who tries to live and one who doesn't give a ****). It's when they start eating berries instead of making meatballs/eggs and bacon that irritates me, since it's so much easier to make meatballs.

That being said, I do complain when they're literally turtling at the base even after I've given them the tools to do something.

Archived