What is Liquid filter and Gas Filter Throughput?

The wiki is pretty clear on the pumping capacity of the pumps and how that relates to other buildings but there is no indication on the capacity of filters.  The questions below apply to both liquid and gas filters.

Do I need to dedicate one filter to each pump?

Can I run two pumps into one filter and filter twice as fast?  If so whats the limit, 3 pumps, no limit? Does it depend on the mix % being filtered?

My tests don't seem definitive as sometimes both pumps seem to be running capacity for a long time and sometimes one will stop pumping for a bit and start again later.  My colony is not always the most stable so the devices may be losing power for a short period of time throwing my tests ...

7 hours ago, Casey Dog said:

Can I run two pumps into one filter and filter twice as fast?  If so whats the limit, 3 pumps, no limit? Does it depend on the mix % being filtered?..

Second question:

Yes, you can use as many pumps as you want, but you will also need valves to pair up with them because the first pump that gets its material all the way through the line becomes the dominate pump and will not allow other pumps to send material. The valves will leave big gapes in the line for other pumps to share the line. If one doesn't have a valve it will become the dominate pump.

Third Question:

The game sends things in chunks that don't change in volume unless there is a blockage in the line. Even if there is room for more the same material it won't merge in a flowing line. Gaps in the line are the only way to share a single line.

6 hours ago, vonVile said:

The game sends things in chunks that don't change in volume unless there is a blockage in the line. Even if there is room for more the same material it won't merge in a flowing line. Gaps in the line are the only way to share a single line.

The simulation will join colliding packets of the same type up to the point where the resulting packet reaches maximum size. Packets won't merge inside a flowing line as they all travel with the same speed (so they don't touch each other) but at junctions (that combine two input pipes into one output) collisions happen and join the packets.

Archived