[Q] Hound mounds? Why...?

22 minutes ago, myxal said:

Now that I think about it, I can move a up to 5 beefalo with the lazy deserter, I wonder if they'd start a new herd in the small desert-enclosed savanna.

I didn't know that! This would be by transporting with a stone after getting 5 beefs to follow you by blowing the horn?

17 minutes ago, myxal said:

I like the idea of dangerous decor - anyone know how to keep them inside? Endtables + walls, or maybe densely planted marble bushes + walls?

If you want to do more science you could always test what their max agro range is. I think birds don't land on broken walls, so you could probably experiment with making a few rows of them at the right distance. Hound mound hounds tend to stay near their mounds so long as they're not agroed on something, so if you can prevent birds spawning nearby, then you should theoretically be able to stop them from running into your base.

15 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

I didn't know that! This would be by transporting with a stone after getting 5 beefs to follow you by blowing the horn?

Yup. Since getting a domesticated beefalo, I use about 2-3 horns a year just moving my rider through a wormhole.

So far every argument for destroying hound mounds is as follows "I don't use them so F*** them Im destroying them."  And RIGHT THERE is the problem.  The question of the thread is why keep them.  We gave you the reasons why and all those oppose say "Well I don't use them for that so destroy them."  BUT OTHERS DO.  You keep a non-renewable resource EVEN if you don't use it because once again let me reiterate the one point you all miss YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY PERSON PLAYING.

If you're on your own server with friends or whatever do what you want but this MOSTLY pertains to random public servers or servers where you are not the host but a guest.  Its a manner of courteousness and consideration. think about EVERYONE playing present and future and not just about yourself.

9 hours ago, Toros said:

The only people arguing otherwise are doing so because they have philosophical issues with extinction of a resource, no matter how useless that resource may be.

I feel this along with your further responses of not understanding the mechanical reasons, that you might have glossed over everyone else's responses, including mine. Regardless we'll look at your data posted (was this meant for single player worlds?) and why it does very little to justify destroying Hound Mounds.

Dragonfly this isn't a fair notion already, Joeschmocoolstuff is not an indicator of the average skill level of DST. Additionally the DFLY is on a 20 day respawn timer from the moment it dies. The boss is meant as an extra reward of gems, not as a farming method. Sure you CAN solo+ it with cheese much easier, then it's a good replacement to another playstyle for gems alone, but still counts for very few players on any given multiplayer server. That should be a given.

Stalagmites shocked to see these mentioned at all, they have a 0.05% chance to drop red gems from the "tall brown" ones, and 0.05% chance to drop red / blue gems from the "regular purple" ones and that's ONLY for fully grown Stalagmites, the other variants medium / small do not have any loot table set up for those gems. They are also exclusive to the caves and are again only an attempt at answering the gems portion of why to keep Hound Mounds.

Wx / Ruins rush not everyone is playing WX on the server, not everyone is interested in ruins rushing as their playstyle as it is doable on every character. Ruins are a great method of gaining gears / gems for experienced players. The nightmare phases cycle the gems the statues contain. Sure it's very useful. As I addressed already though, this is not for everyone and can only be done in limited quantity before the ruins require a reset. Usually the ruins rushes are first come first serve and the rusher hoards it all, this is definitely when surface alternatives come in handy for others.

Varg see prior list response.

20 hours ago, Tosh said:

If you want to do more science you could always test what their max agro range is. I think birds don't land on broken walls, so you could probably experiment with making a few rows of them at the right distance. Hound mound hounds tend to stay near their mounds so long as they're not agroed on something, so if you can prevent birds spawning nearby, then you should theoretically be able to stop them from running into your base.

Actually, (and I should have realised this sooner) - the mound hounds don't wander around like treeguards. The reason why double-layer pens are required for those is because offscreen, the code for wandering around ignores non-wall sctructures, so a treeguard would wander outside of the endtable pen when offscreen. As I understand it, there is no such risk with mound hounds, as they are always at the mound.

20170504154214_1.jpg

As for the comments defending keeping hound mounds - OK, I guess they are a steady/readily available source of red/blue gems, point taken.

Also didn't realise varg might be vulnerable to frog rain, which could be a problem on a server with many players.

3 hours ago, myxal said:

I guess they are a steady/readily available source of red/blue gems, point taken.

They don't seem to be as great as I thought as it's a low chance of reds in Summer if you're not hitting or haunting the mounds/hounds.

On 5/3/2017 at 11:59 AM, myxal said:

Now that I think about it, I can move a up to 5 beefalo with the lazy deserter, I wonder if they'd start a new herd in the small desert-enclosed savanna.

beefalos only start a new herd if  the current 1 they are at is too large 2 was a baby and got relocated to a new area and grew up in that area away from its original herd and 3 was a fully domesticated beefalo that went feral  those are the only ways to have a beefalo start up a new herd

Just telelocate a baby beefalo. I can testify that within a couple of game years they will be overrunning the place. I did this when spiders killed off all the adult members of a herd near a spider fort, and I figured I'd save a baby to domesticate later when I had the time, and I wouldn't have to worry about it constantly trying to get back to its herd. (You don't have to do this, btw. Just start feeding a grown beef and give it a salt lick and it will stop trying to get home.) 

Anyway, it started breeding and then the pen got crowded and they broke the fence and started killing my pigs. So I used the horn to relocate them further away, which was a pain. Then the herd drifted over to the tallbird nest and routinely kills the bird. One reason I based there is that I love tallbirds, so while it's nice to have beefs nearby, this is a drag. Be careful where you move those beefs!

On 2017-5-7 at 0:23 PM, Rellimarual said:

Anyway, it started breeding and then the pen got crowded and they broke the fence and started killing my pigs. So I used the horn to relocate them further away, which was a pain. Then the herd drifted over to the tallbird nest and routinely kills the bird. One reason I based there is that I love tallbirds, so while it's nice to have beefs nearby, this is a drag. Be careful where you move those beefs!

I haven't brought them over, and this is one of the reasons - a voltgoat herd is nearby, and I don't want beefs killing them. Also, I got busy building tumbleweed farms in the D-fly's desert, and of course one the spawners is right next to the savanna mini-biome.

Regarding hound mound pens - oh, the irony, when a hound from the regular wave spawns inside one :D

On 2017-5-7 at 0:29 AM, EsaiXD said:

beefalos only start a new herd if  the current 1 they are at is too large 2 was a baby and got relocated to a new area and grew up in that area away from its original herd and 3 was a fully domesticated beefalo that went feral  those are the only ways to have a beefalo start up a new herd

I'll have to check on my server with caves - I accidentally moved 4 adult beefalo when I was moving my rider through a wormhole into an area far from the original herd. I don't recall them going back to the original herd. Although that may have been caused by the salt lick.

On 2017-5-7 at 0:23 PM, Rellimarual said:

Just telelocate a baby beefalo.

Oh, and this - what about its parent? Must that be killed? Or if not, wouldn't it make more sense to telelocate the parent, and have the babies automatically moved with it?

Easy: unlike hound waves that grow over time and can easily destroy hundreds of days' worth, hound populations from hound mounds can easily be kept in check while providing a steady source of monster meat (by extension also eggs with a birdcage), teeth and gems. They lag remarkably less than hound waves on old worlds (especially if your group is big and old - the longer you stay in a world, the more hounds you attract, and the more players are there, the more hounds spawn - anywhere near a player, so it takes one less-than-the-sharpest knife in the drawer turtling by some base to raze it down). Alongside tumbleweeds and bishops, they are also the sole source of gems if you don't have caves. You can even make farms of teeth and silk by baiting hounds onto spiders.

Archived