Have you ever used rollbacks

6 hours ago, Mananu said:

Everyone can play the game how he/she wants. I can't judge someone if its using the rollback or not. Even if the rollback is used when you do a small mistake. I don't consider it cheating. It's your decision if you use it or not. Yes, I use this command on my server from time to time, it's very helpful.

Here's the thing... it was implemented for the sake of dealing with griefing. Now players are acceptant of using it for other means on a regular basis, which is honestly sad.

This makes the game not a game, but a debug. The rollback takes away all the harsh punishments the game might throw at you, there's no proper objective to progress towards (may be not as of yet), the game doesn't do a good job of helping out newbies and giving late game players a challenge and it doesn't intrigue you in its mystery. All of this could be dealt with, yet nothing really is being done with this. May be devs have given up on the idea of making it anything more than a sandbox.

Yes, you can use console. But honestly, wouldn't it be better if the game prevented players from being able to grief rather than you needing to use a mechanic, which you and a lot of people will use for other means and call it fair, when most often it is not.

Okay, off to continue writing that long thread, baiii...

2 hours ago, King Rich 1357 said:

Because it's the farthest we have ever been and we were killed from darkness

You can if you want, nothing is really stopping you, but I think you should accept that you both made mistakes, and accept the consequences as well. That frustration is going to make sure you're more then ready next time this scenario happens. I think relying on the rollback could potentially make make you more careless when you realize you can easily undo any mistake and consequences don't matter much.

But again, that's entirely your choice if you want to rollback or not.

3 hours ago, King Rich 1357 said:

Because it's the farthest we have ever been and we were killed from darkness

I can join the others, play as it's the most fun for you! But a hint: if you avoid using the rollback and take the consequences, you'll learn better from your mistakes and you'll be better prepared the next time, I know it from experience and agree with Sinister_Fang. So I'd recommend you not to use it, but do as you wish.

15 hours ago, King Rich 1357 said:

I play offline split screen with my brother and we have a world at day 72 should we use a roll back or not

For me the fun in games is the challenge. Rollback takes away the challenge. How do you get fun in games? If it's through challenges and overcoming those challenges then you shouldn't use rollback, if you have a more casual way of playing games then you should use rollback. I really can't make the decision for you, all I can do is say how my brain works

I'm starting to sorta wish for targeted, area rollbacks.

Rollbacks are nice usually. Nub comes in, burns base the moment they reach it and leaves...rollbacks are great in that situation.
It gets a bit irritating when there're 5 or 6 of those incidents in a row, and the unharmed ruins base gets reverted every couple minutes and you have to replant the same 20 trees that many times.

4 hours ago, Pyr0mrcow said:

I'm starting to sorta wish for targeted, area rollbacks.

Rollbacks are nice usually. Nub comes in, burns base the moment they reach it and leaves...rollbacks are great in that situation.
It gets a bit on the irritating when there're 5 or 6 of those incidents in a row, and the unharmed ruins base gets reverted every couple minutes and you have to replant the same 20 trees that many times.

If only it would be possible to make such aeo rollbacks! But I highly doubt it...

I agree, it's really annoying when you must do the same thing 4-5 times in a row, especially if it's already monoton enough.

20 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

You can if you want, nothing is really stopping you, but I think you should accept that you both made mistakes, and accept the consequences as well. That frustration is going to make sure you're more then ready next time this scenario happens. I think relying on the rollback could potentially make make you more careless when you realize you can easily undo any mistake and consequences don't matter much.

But again, that's entirely your choice if you want to rollback or not.

19 hours ago, JustAPineapple said:

If you want to roll back then go ahead, Who cares if other people think fair or not when its your world, just do whatever the most fun for you. ^-^

19 hours ago, fimmatek said:

I can join the others, play as it's the most fun for you! But a hint: if you avoid using the rollback and take the consequences, you'll learn better from your mistakes and you'll be better prepared the next time, I know it from experience and agree with Sinister_Fang. So I'd recommend you not to use it, but do as you wish.

Thank you all for the help. We have a new world I think we're going to delete the 72 world. The only reason we got that far is because of rollbacks. it's time to do it without rollbacks.

I don't think I ever used the rollback feature in my solo worlds. Just like in the original game of DS, if I die it's my fault and if I don't have anything to revive myself then it's also my fault for not coming prepared (which is also why I try to to make at least 2 or more revive items as soon as possible). 

I personally thought that the main use for the rollback feature was just a tool against greifers who try to destroy your server and you can just rollback like it never happened.

On 5/3/2017 at 0:16 AM, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

This didn't happen in single player. You had no rollback, so if your world went from you messing up, your own fault and the game punishes you with you needing to start again.

In multiplayer that is not the case. This is part of the reason why I think some mechanical anti-griefing methods should be put in place, so we can take out the rollback and not use it so that the game can actually punish us.

The other day I played with some others, someone newbish ran into base when antlion was coming and had cracks in base. These cracks weren't that significant and didn't destroy much, yet some demanded rollback... We never rollbacked. If we just keep doing this, what's the point of the game punishing us? We're just telling the game to fix our mistakes instead of us learning from them and that is sad.

When I said "single player" I mean playing solo.  I play DST only (DS doesn't have skins) but largely play solo, open to public.  I don't have many friends who play, or randoms who join.  I've never had a griefer, but as I've said - I've used rollback to practice with situations in game rather than setting them up in a sandbox world with console commands.

Removing the roll back feature in conjunction with a better anti-griefing mechanic would be much better for the game.  I like the mod for structure ownership, so only the server admin and builder of a structure can destroy it with a hammer.  If they simply prevent players from being able to torch player-built structures it would still allow a player to plant a tree and burn it.  Maybe they should give flingo's that "emergency mode" that a mod gave them before... so they could always be on, maybe give them a slower constant fuel consumption when they are in emergency mode...  This, combined with the hammer / ownership thing could remove a lot of griefing.  Once you get a flingo you have that much space that is basically fire proof.

I wouldn't miss the roll back feature if it were taken away but we had something like this in place.  It would be much better for the game.

Antlion sink holes - I haven't found it too difficult to keep antlion satisfied.  A single conscientious player could easily prevent 100% of sinkholes.

7 hours ago, Shosuko said:

When I said "single player" I mean playing solo.  I play DST only (DS doesn't have skins) but largely play solo, open to public.  I don't have many friends who play, or randoms who join.  I've never had a griefer, but as I've said - I've used rollback to practice with situations in game rather than setting them up in a sandbox world with console commands.

Removing the roll back feature in conjunction with a better anti-griefing mechanic would be much better for the game.  I like the mod for structure ownership, so only the server admin and builder of a structure can destroy it with a hammer.  If they simply prevent players from being able to torch player-built structures it would still allow a player to plant a tree and burn it.  Maybe they should give flingo's that "emergency mode" that a mod gave them before... so they could always be on, maybe give them a slower constant fuel consumption when they are in emergency mode...  This, combined with the hammer / ownership thing could remove a lot of griefing.  Once you get a flingo you have that much space that is basically fire proof.

I wouldn't miss the roll back feature if it were taken away but we had something like this in place.  It would be much better for the game.

Antlion sink holes - I haven't found it too difficult to keep antlion satisfied.  A single conscientious player could easily prevent 100% of sinkholes.

There is a chain-reactive way to program whether you can light things on fire or not and create almost a 100% fire-griefing from world; not being able to light a tree or whatever else flammable on fire if burning it will chain-react to a flammable structure and some other variables that ultimately prevent any fire griefing almost completely, while still allowing you to burn things in most circumstances and get charcoal or ashes or whatever. This would be better off as an option that you can enable or disable, as some others have agreed previously, since some may not like it in the game.

Hammering is not so easy to deal with, however...

I don't mind having rollback in the the, but only as a console command. Moreover, it would be nice to see servers where it says whether console commands for admins are enabled or disabled and them being disabled by default, since was the case with single player before, not sure if that's the case now.

8 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

I don't mind having rollback in the the, but only as a console command. Moreover, it would be nice to see servers where it says whether console commands for admins are enabled or disabled and them being disabled by default, since was the case with single player before, not sure if that's the case now.

I'm seeing a few problems with this. The first is that new players would be extremely vulnerable to griefing. And the people who do know about it would simply enable the console every time so they can undo griefing or abuse the rollback. The second problem, and the biggest issue I have with this, would be that unmoderated servers would be open game for griefers. You'd need an admin to use the console. And if just anyone could start a vote for rollbacks then you could just completely bypass the new "anti-abuse" system you're proposing.

I think overall, this won't really change anything other then adding in a few additional problems. And it would be just as easy to abuse as the current system is. The only difference is that you'd need to enable it (and everyone aware of it would do exactly that).

Well, I had to rollback once for a good reason...

bug11_ag.jpg

Yep, I guess it doesn't count as cheating... :D

(Don't ask how could he run into the Abbys, I don't know. It just wanted to ram me and landed outside the Labirith.)

Once I had a world that seemed to have no labyrinth, but my fellow player suggested I try the gonext console command to double check on the Guardian. Boom! I found myself right next to him out in the endless void, dodging him like crazy in all the nothingness. We almost did a rollback to rescue me, but finally figured another gonext was a better solution.

Archived