Have you ever used rollbacks

I wouldn't call it cheating, but I don't do it (I play alone, so if I die, it's always my fault). I always feel like my server is ruined when I rolled back or something, I don't know. I take full advantage of the reset timer resetting when you log out though, so I always have time to revive myself. :p 

Rolling back because someone did something griefy or something is of course something completely different, that I would do without even thinking about it. 

I've used rollback for different reasons - sometimes I build a lot of things and realize I messed it all up, or I accidentally eat Deerclopse eye or something dumb like that...  Sometimes I use it so I can practice something or try something new, where I knowingly commit to the roll back before I even take the action because pass or fail, I want to try something multiple times.  I don't know if I would consider it cheating or not, but since the game isn't competitive, and I'm playing solo, I really don't care.

I guess I could use console commands to set up practice scenarios for me, but I typically just decide at a point in the game I want to do something new or stupid, but don't want to risk my world doing it, so I log out and back in to reset the save point and do it.

Playing alone, I do it all the time (whenever I need), and call it practice mode (or strategy research). :) After enough attempts, it became quite easy to use an Ornery beefalo to take on the Dragonfly, Klaus, Antlion, or any of the RoG giants, and expend little to no resources on the fight. (I'm still thinking about how to take on bee queen)1

The lack of snapshots or some sensible practice mode is why I'm staying away from DS and stick with DST. I'd understand if there were some leaderboards or achievements, but as DS is now, the only reason for the permadeath system is "because the game and its devs hate you".

1 - no Wickerbottom, and no caves - any ideas?

Today i used my first "cheat out of here" rollback

We were in summer, 74 days survived on a public server ( ♥ i'm so proud!!) and suddently antlion starts an attack. Ofc i enable my "Screen Shaking" so i could run away in time, but other people didn't and were quite surprised about what just happened. They had never seen the antlion and they didn't know they had to turn screen shaking on, so i just used a rollback ^_^

Plus i use it everytime i get griefed. 

I don't actually know if I consider it cheating or not... at least on my solo server. When a public server is griefed, it's quite necessary of course. But can also be very annoying, once a small group went to kill the Ancient Guardian and surprise! they failed. I know, I was catching rabbits for a Prestihatitator. I had to build it four times! So I try to avoid it in public servers, unless something serious has happened.

On my solo server I used it sometimes, like if something went very wrong (bosses, hound attacks, etc...). Now I don't, I just float to an amulet in worst case ;) Exception when I lose connection and die due to it, once revived myself via my meat effigy but couldn't get loaded. I exited and reentered the game, where I found my ghost, died to overheating at the place of the once-was effigy, having my base destroyed by the Antlion's sinkholes. That wasn't my fault and I lost a lot of stuff, so I just rolled back.

When I play solo, I pretty much only ever used it for practicing against new bosses. Other then that, I don't really touch it. If I forget to setup a lightning rod (I seem to forget this a lot actually) and lighting strikes my camp, I'll accept my camp burning down. It was my fault. If bearger or clops destroy my camp... again, my fault for not paying attention. Pretty much if something bad happens, and it wasn't someone intentionally griefing, I'll accept whatever happened.

Rollbacks, when not being used to undo griefing, is pretty much just easy access save-scumming. And I don't really like save-scumming.

Sometimes my solo play-through mistakes are much larger in stupidity and dire consequences than I thought they could be.

So when that happens, basically my game becomes groundhog day, over and over and over, until I realize why I screwed everything up from like a season ago. That's when I usually decide to move on and take a completely different path/approach. It's a learning process.

I feel no shame to admit it.

2 hours ago, Kittydub said:

I wouldn't call it cheating, but I don't do it (I play alone, so if I die, it's always my fault). I always feel like my server is ruined when I rolled back or something, I don't know. I take full advantage of the reset timer resetting when you log out though, so I always have time to revive myself. :p 

Rolling back because someone did something griefy or something is of course something completely different, that I would do without even thinking about it. 

It's absolutely the same with me)

When I'm playing on my dedicated server with a long-time collaborator, I keep it unpassworded because every so often someone cool pops on and contributes or decides to start building their own base. But that also means that we get the occasional newb who doesn't understand that it's better for them to die to Deerclops than to lead Clops to our fairly advanced base. So we have rolled back once or twice when that's happened. There are those who ask us to roll back whenever they die, but we won't do it.

Occasionally. If lag kills me. In my current 700+ day world, I've rolled back only twice for non-lag reasons:

1. Making a tentacle trap for splumonkeys, died to the tentacles, couldn't find my amulet. I figured I could revive allllll the way at the postern and walk back (I play Endless mode to for resource regen and occasional ghostly hijinks), but I decided against because I was feeling particularily lazy. That's how I learned to put a lantern and life-giving amulet a short ways away >.> also should build a meat effigy at the ruins base. I feel a bit stupid about rolling back but oh well. I still learned my lesson from it. 

2. Early autumn, Bearger + hounds on my tail. I thought I was far enough away from base but (after cowardly running from hounds at night, as I'd almost died in the frenzy of trying to get Bearger to kill the hound) Bearger had somehow made his way to the outside of the base. Lured him away, he died to treeguards, easy peasy. I go back to base and my entire pig farm (20 houses) and all my storage (including my just-obtained shroom skin from killing toadstool) was burnt down. I guess a fire-hound made its way over and the pigs got him. I was so upset. After some deliberation (and taking the day off rom the game), I decided to rollback a few days because the alternative was me being just totally miserable about it. I don't regret this decision at all, but I'm still mad at myself for letting it happen. I hate fire hounds so much. 

I'm gonna come right out and say it. Yes using rollback for any reason but to fix a griefers mess is cheating (IMO). However I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I think people should play however the game is funnest to you. I personally never use rollback(anymore), I almost always play solo so no griefers. I started in original DS where permadeath was just the way it is and that was fun to me. When I first made the switch to DST I abused the rollback option and the game became no fun to me. Now that I've banned myself from using it I'm addicted to this game once more

I use rollbacks when something broken happens, something astronomically unfair happens(and I'm not talking "oh wah toadstool killed me :(" im talking "9 day 800 people's hounds swarmed me and are currently taking residence in the middle of the base where all the respawn equipment is"), or when I've been griefed.

Using rollbacks for trying to undo your mishaps is, while certainly not professional, entirely up to you! This tool could be ESPECIALLY useful if you're newer to the game and want to learn, although, in my opinion, learning through catastrophic failure is a bit of a sharper reminder and only adds more to your experience of the game, and you can even think back and tell stories of the day, you, the noob, let a moleworm eat the old bell in the middle of camp.

8 minutes ago, Weirdobob said:

in my opinion, learning through catastrophic failure is a bit of a sharper reminder and only adds more to your experience of the game, and you can even think back and tell stories of the day

Oh, don't even mention! I solo Wendy and tried to kill the Ancient Guardian. By tanking it. I was prepared, had a hambat and two marble suits. 

You know how damned frustrating it is to float back as a ghost to the base, through the whole ruins and caves, four times! I never took enough amulets... after the fourth failure was the first time I used gunpowder to kill a boss and was so delighted as I succeed at last! Oh, those old times...

14 minutes ago, Weirdobob said:

and you can even think back and tell stories of the day

You're perfectly right. It seems that the biggest mistakes will become the most beautiful memories... :) 

• Rolling back for Grief = Fair use

• Rolling back because of normal avoidable game mechanics that destroyed something (I.E. the base), or your own mistakes (like getting your beefalo killed) = Cheating.

Avoiding the consequences of the game really ruins the DST experience IMO.

6 hours ago, fimmatek said:

I solo Wendy and tried to kill the Ancient Guardian.

Wendy have trouble against bosses ...  Can't tank for shnizz! Sometime it looks like her HP goes down faster than the wood armor.. :(

I recently discovered about rollback.. I'd use it if my tamed Beef die :/ and if my world is in peril. 

The thing to NOT do: Oooh, no need of amulets, i'll just rollback if something bad happen.. Arff, you lazy, filthy cheater! 

37 minutes ago, csc_unit said:

Wendy have trouble against bosses ...  Can't tank for shnizz! Sometime it looks like her HP goes down faster than the wood armor.. :(

I recently discovered about rollback.. I'd use it if my tamed Beef die :/ and if my world is in peril. 

The thing to NOT do: Oooh, no need of amulets, i'll just rollback if something bad happen.. Arff, you lazy, filthy cheater! 

You should give the marble suit a try. :)

13 hours ago, Shosuko said:

I've used rollback for different reasons - sometimes I build a lot of things and realize I messed it all up, or I accidentally eat Deerclopse eye or something dumb like that...  Sometimes I use it so I can practice something or try something new, where I knowingly commit to the roll back before I even take the action because pass or fail, I want to try something multiple times.  I don't know if I would consider it cheating or not, but since the game isn't competitive, and I'm playing solo, I really don't care.

I guess I could use console commands to set up practice scenarios for me, but I typically just decide at a point in the game I want to do something new or stupid, but don't want to risk my world doing it, so I log out and back in to reset the save point and do it.

This didn't happen in single player. You had no rollback, so if your world went from you messing up, your own fault and the game punishes you with you needing to start again.

In multiplayer that is not the case. This is part of the reason why I think some mechanical anti-griefing methods should be put in place, so we can take out the rollback and not use it so that the game can actually punish us.

The other day I played with some others, someone newbish ran into base when antlion was coming and had cracks in base. These cracks weren't that significant and didn't destroy much, yet some demanded rollback... We never rollbacked. If we just keep doing this, what's the point of the game punishing us? We're just telling the game to fix our mistakes instead of us learning from them and that is sad.

We usually use rollbacks in our main world when we die due to lag.Not saying that using them regularly is cheating, but it kinda does spoil the game. It all depends on what is the purpose of the world, and most of all, what's fun for you. For example I tend to make a lot of test worlds, where I simply use the console to test a boss battle out, so I can be prepared when it really matters. In such worlds I use a lot of rollbacks but some players (some of my friends) tend to dislike the constant waiting in the loading screen.

Bottom line is, it's your game and it's your world, you do whatever you wanna do.

Everyone can play the game how he/she wants. I can't judge someone if its using the rollback or not. Even if the rollback is used when you do a small mistake. I don't consider it cheating. It's your decision if you use it or not. Yes, I use this command on my server from time to time, it's very helpful.

8 hours ago, cezarica said:

You should give the marble suit a try. :)

Yeah I never really use it because it impairs movements. I'm wondering.. Is switching between log suit and marble suit a thing? I might try that

16 hours ago, Josonic said:

I'm gonna come right out and say it. Yes using rollback for any reason but to fix a griefers mess is cheating (IMO). However I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. I think people should play however the game is funnest to you. I personally never use rollback(anymore), I almost always play solo so no griefers. I started in original DS where permadeath was just the way it is and that was fun to me. When I first made the switch to DST I abused the rollback option and the game became no fun to me. Now that I've banned myself from using it I'm addicted to this game once more

I play offline split screen with my brother and we have a world at day 72 should we use a roll back or not

Archived