Shake that screen for me

STORY TIME! The shaking screen, one of the worst things in don't starve. It makes people unable to focus during fights against giants, it gives you an headache and it is disabled on almost everybody's client for this.

And then unexperienced people who finally come to summer suddently lose everything to a sinkhole and ask me "Onetel-sama Onetel-sama! what happened?". And i answer "If you had the screen shaking enabled you would've seen the Antlion coming".

ACTUAL TOPIC I understand that screen shaking is one of the core points of the game, to warn you about earthquakes, mr. Antlion and even an enraged deerclop coming your way. But hell, that thing gives me Nausea! I always put it on during summer because i'm too lazy for the Antlion (honest .. ) but most people don't and end up getting caught by surprise. 

Could Devs think about lowering the shaking just a tiny bit, or if there is , a mod that stops the shaking for giants but leaves it for any other event? I already have a mod that lowers the sanity sound to 0-25-50-75% so that your hears don't have to explode!

DISCUSSION: What are your opinions about screen shaking ? Do you keep it enabled the whole year or just when the antlion is being a cry-baby who wants toys? :wilson_laugh:

Sometimes when the Deerclops is close by it seems the screen is shaking so hard, it's jostling my eyeballs out of their sockets!  But I'd rather have the warning than not have it, so...

But yeah I could see an argument for some toning down, sure.

...Notorious

9 hours ago, Onetel21 said:

STORY TIME! The shaking screen, one of the worst things in don't starve. It makes people unable to focus during fights against giants, it gives you an headache and it is disabled on almost everybody's client for this.

And then unexperienced people who finally come to summer suddently lose everything to a sinkhole and ask me "Onetel-sama Onetel-sama! what happened?". And i answer "If you had the screen shaking enabled you would've seen the Antlion coming".

ACTUAL TOPIC I understand that screen shaking is one of the core points of the game, to warn you about earthquakes, mr. Antlion and even an enraged deerclop coming your way. But hell, that thing gives me Nausea! I always put it on during summer because i'm too lazy for the Antlion (honest .. ) but most people don't and end up getting caught by surprise. 

Could Devs think about lowering the shaking just a tiny bit, or if there is , a mod that stops the shaking for giants but leaves it for any other event? I already have a mod that lowers the sanity sound to 0-25-50-75% so that your hears don't have to explode!

DISCUSSION: What are your opinions about screen shaking ? Do you keep it enabled the whole year or just when the antlion is being a cry-baby who wants toys? :wilson_laugh:

I just keep it on the whole time, I find giants cooler with it on

10 hours ago, Onetel21 said:

What if they made a slider for intensity so some could have it high and some could have it at a all time low.

On 3/5/2017 at 4:02 AM, Spaartan said:

I just keep it on the whole time, I find giants cooler with it on

I find them cooler too D: It adds fear when they are approaching.. But i just get Nausea because of it!

Maybe it's just me and a few other people, but just like games should give a "color blind" mode for people who are color blind, even this small scenario where the shaking screen can cause sickness to someone should be able to be tuned or turned off without having to pay a price

FUN FACT: If you have screenshaking off and the antlion prepares his attack, your character WON'T SAY anything. You basically become Wes. You have no visual clue of what's going to happen and your character is not going to warn you either.

If you have it on every character will say something about the incoming danger and everything is fine :) The only solution is having 1 dude in your base having the screen shaking turned on and wait for his quote about what's going to happen 

41 minutes ago, Onetel21 said:

I find them cooler too D: It adds fear when they are approaching.. But i just get Nausea because of it!

Maybe it's just me and a few other people, but just like games should give a "color blind" mode for people who are color blind, even this small scenario where the shaking screen can cause sickness to someone should be able to be tuned or turned off without having to pay a price

FUN FACT: If you have screenshaking off and the antlion prepares his attack, your character WON'T SAY anything. You basically become Wes. You have no visual clue of what's going to happen and your character is not going to warn you either.

If you have it on every character will say something about the incoming danger and everything is fine :) The only solution is having 1 dude in your base having the screen shaking turned on and wait for his quote about what's going to happen 

About red-green colourblind, can people with this disorder tell the difference in dst between say, grass and deciduous or autumn and spring?

1 hour ago, Onetel21 said:

If you have screenshaking off and the antlion prepares his attack, your character WON'T SAY anything. You basically become Wes. You have no visual clue of what's going to happen and your character is not going to warn you either.

KLEI THIS IS BROKEN

1 hour ago, Onetel21 said:

If you have screenshaking off and the antlion prepares his attack, your character WON'T SAY anything. You basically become Wes. You have no visual clue of what's going to happen and your character is not going to warn you either.

Are you sure? Characters do say something when underground, that I can confirm.

On 2.05.2017 at 6:05 PM, Onetel21 said:

Yyy really? I have this option always on - and it never was inconvenient for me. Don't know, why there is a fuss around this...

4 hours ago, voyager156 said:

Yyy really? I have this option always on - and it never was inconvenient for me. Don't know, why there is a fuss around this...

People i play with always have this off because it's either annoying or hard to focus for them while it's enabled

5 hours ago, Maslak said:

Are you sure? Characters do say something when underground, that I can confirm.

I'm 100% sure that it happens from time to time. During summer i never move so much from my campfire, i like to relax and stay alive without too many problems. This is why i would be able to tell if my character suddently started speaking and warned me about an incoming antlion attack. Just to make sure i tested this again today. With screen shaking disabled i wasn't able to get any notification from the attack (playing as WOODIE , requires further testing with other characters).

Turning screen shaking on let's woodie comment on the attack before it happens (tested with the rollback feature twice)

5 hours ago, Cookiemies said:

hmm. im sure that i have heard and seen the player commenting on the incoming antlion attack In the overworld

. Not sure about the caves though.

In the caves they will comment no matter what options you are using. I think it's because the audio-file for the earthquake and cave-ins always starts playing when they are happening. I can assume that the character will "comment" on the attack only when an audio file or a visual file are played, and since you get no music-change or noise while you are outside the caves maybe that the script for the comment doesn't start

Remember that i only tested this with woodie and (3 webbers with screen shaking disabled on a Klei official server) and we all noticed that there was no warning comment for it. Requires further testing with other characters

• Developer
7 hours ago, Onetel21 said:

I could not reproduce this.

The targeted characters give 3 speech warnings before the attack starts, rock particle effects also spawn nearby every time the screen would have shaken.

Personally, I like the screen shaking, however nauseating it is. It sounds stupid but I feel like the nausea adds to the effect :p

I guess I just think it feels more realistic, like you're actually in the game. I see your point though.

Archived