Wilderness Mode - what is the point?

Do you ever play in Wilderness mode?  If you do, what is the point?  If you don't, why not?

What are your experiences / feelings with Wilderness mode?

The reason I ask is that I've liked the idea of random spawn location.  I also like the idea of no ghosts.  I feel it gives a more authentic DS experience in DST.  The reason I don't play it is that you can't use any res items to prevent death as you can in traditional DS, such as touch stones / meat effigies / life giving amulets.  I feel these should be able to be activated to still give a chance at being saved, but in the DS manner rather than in the DST manner.

I've considered playing the Wilderness lately so that I could exploit the benefits of different characters.  For example I could start as Wickerbottom, get a base set up and lots of farming done, set up tentacles to take out Bee Queen, and then switch to Wolfgang or Wigfrid for regular play.  Maybe switch to Webber to design a nice spider area and stock up on hundreds of webs in short order.  I typically play alone, so I usually only get the benefits of a single character.  I'm tempted to do this, but haven't yet because it feels like an exploit rather than a play style...  Especially with the map base item which would allow me to reveal the map quickly after any character changes. 

Being able to multi-character on purpose is an interesting suggestion that I hadn't thought of before.

Regardless, I think the main point of Wilderness was for PvP-styled servers. It can also work for public servers in general that aren't focused on having all the players co-op, since players will revive without needing the support of others (if you weren't able to work up to having personal revival methods, which takes awhile). Even in Endless, the postern would incur a nasty HP penalty. But yeah, the main point is it's quite friendly for a PvP-focused server.

I guess that is a valid point - rather than using a teleporter rod to blink the two players away, people could always join anywhere and have at it when they meet, with no clue where anyone else is.  I do tend to play single player, and have zero experience with multi-player... so that thought never occurred to me ^_^

What I don't like about wilderness is you can generate endless papyrus/meat/nightmare fuel/willow lighters/bernies just by getting charlie'd every night. It also removes any punishment of death, besides losing your map progress, but you can now just make backups of your map so its no big deal.

What I do like, is the random spawn, and the ability to change character. This is good for, if, say, you're new, and you started playing as Wes and for some strange reason no longer want to be God incarnate and pick another character.

It's only use tbh is anti-spawncamping on PvP and other competitive modes. Or for pure singleplayer, if you still want character-specific stuff, but want to be someone else entirely.

Is Wilderness Mode better than Endless mode? All I know is that in Wilderness once you die, you can choose another character to play with... but my question is once you die and chooses a new character does your entire server resets back to day 1 and you have to start over and rebuild?

3 hours ago, jesuisralph said:

Is Wilderness Mode better than Endless mode? All I know is that in Wilderness once you die, you can choose another character to play with... but my question is once you die and chooses a new character does your entire server resets back to day 1 and you have to start over and rebuild?

Once you die you pick your new character and are dropped into the same world just randomly.

Everything you build will not disappear and will stay by your corpse till someone loots it.

Unless it's a YOLO pvp server, i don't like wilderness. Random spawns make it hard to work together with friends and free respawn encourages griefing. It's also really easy to have a server ruined by someone picking webber and planting eggs over and over again.

36 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

Once you die you pick your new character and are dropped into the same world just randomly.

Everything you build will not disappear and will stay by your corpse till someone loots it.

Ok thanks! I was talking to one of the dev. about my main world, there's no way he can help me save it cause Sony won't allow people to modify the save files and put it back :( My main world has corrupted save files and it crashes alot, I'm thinking of making starting over and playing Wilderness Mode this mode seems to be better than Endless cause I can use other characters to get things done for me, I usually plug in a second controller to bring them in which can be quite a lot of work when the hounds are around but I want to wait till PS4 players get the update with the Oasis thing and against the grain and all the bugs to be fixed :( feeling sad cause I pretty much lost my main world which is now 2723 days 

3 hours ago, Tylordian said:

I wish there were more PVP DST servers, it seems no one ever wants to play against each other. :(

Its mostly because you have to choose a really combat centric character or a good one or else your just going to be pushed around.
or if thats not true thats how most see it when PvP is turned on.

I prefer wilderness with friends. The first days are great, like "where are you ?" "i'm in a small savanna and there is a forest in the north" "ok, is there a swamp near the forest ? if yes, take the wormhole here, you'll arrive near the base"

I like the random respawn at death and the lost of map/recipe learned, it make really useful to make map to save progress, and you have to learn some recipe again, so death is a little more meaningful.

There is no server reset, which is a good point (no reset because someone was alone and did something stupid) and a bad point (less pressure)

21 minutes ago, Lumina said:

I prefer wilderness with friends. The first days are great, like "where are you ?" "i'm in a small savanna and there is a forest in the north" "ok, is there a swamp near the forest ? if yes, take the wormhole here, you'll arrive near the base"

I like the random respawn at death and the lost of map/recipe learned, it make really useful to make map to save progress, and you have to learn some recipe again, so death is a little more meaningful.

There is no server reset, which is a good point (no reset because someone was alone and did something stupid) and a bad point (less pressure)

what if someone joins in a world with no resets, can't find a single gold piece, twigs, flints, grass and so on? :wilson_hurt:

3 hours ago, Onetel21 said:

what if someone joins in a world with no resets, can't find a single gold piece, twigs, flints, grass and so on? :wilson_hurt:

Regenarate the world and I'm sure there would be plenty of corpses and bases to scavenge from.

26 minutes ago, Onetel21 said:

What are the chances ?
And with meteors and tumbleweeds, you have at least flints, gold, grass and twigs.

9 hours ago, Weirdobob said:

It also removes any punishment of death, besides losing your map progress, but you can now just make backups of your map so its no big deal.

Actually, there is one huge punishment. You loose all your pre-built structures and learnt blueprints. This includes bundling wraps, glowcaps and goggles.

10 hours ago, Weirdobob said:

What I don't like about wilderness is you can generate endless papyrus/meat/nightmare fuel/willow lighters/bernies just by getting charlie'd every night. It also removes any punishment of death, besides losing your map progress, but you can now just make backups of your map so its no big deal.

What I do like, is the random spawn, and the ability to change character. This is good for, if, say, you're new, and you started playing as Wes and for some strange reason no longer want to be God incarnate and pick another character.

It's only use tbh is anti-spawncamping on PvP and other competitive modes. Or for pure singleplayer, if you still want character-specific stuff, but want to be someone else entirely.

Oh noooononono... There is a huge penalty late-game for dying. And if you die in the ruins or something, then you really have this as a huge issue, my friend.

You lose all of the recipes you've crafted! This means that the blueprint for bundling wraps for you is lost. Every. Time. You. Die.

I would like ways to resurrect for us so that we could keep the progress. Touchstones could then work a bit more like single player (you having to activate them and then resurrect with them instantly if you die) and the same case would be with the life-giving amulets; you needing to wear one to resurrect! And of course the same being with meat effigies. In fact, because of this, meat effigies could perhaps give a health penalty to your max health until you use one up! This would be glorious!

Telltale hearts could not be used, however, unfortunately.

8 hours ago, Onetel21 said:

Join another server. Why would you be joining a server after it's lasted a year without you, anyways?

It's the ideal mode for unorganized PvP servers, although those have become very unpopular over DST's lifetime. I actually remember having a lot of fun on one of the earlier builds with Wilderness PvP.

Having ghosts in an endless PvP server sucks, since they can haunt stuff and grief structures after death. Having only alive players being able to interact with structures means players will actually have an incentive to not burn down things, since they can use them to their own benefit after the owner has died. Wilderness also stops players from instalocking Wigfrid and spawncamping! Hurrah!

Then again, DST PvP is a bit of a joke when Wolfgang or Wigfrid (depending on how long you plan to survive) can easily beat any other character.

I like wilderness in more open servers, the public ones for example because the dying mechanics, the punishment is just for the one who died, the whole party will not pay in sanity because the mistakes of a few, and don't worry, your world will not reset if you left and someone comes and dies.

I see the survival mode like a only friends mode, a game where you take care of your team mates and viceversa, is a teamwork focused mode were everyone gets penalization if someone dies, that's why there are no ways to resurrect in wilderness and that's why there is a "game over".

Survival is my favorite but wilderness is a great option to meet new friends 

5 hours ago, Spaartan said:

To balance Wilderness, they should make some more penalty for dying, even with losing all of the blueprints, also, the moonrocks pretty much negate the loss of a map, so remove that in wilderness. 

Dying is winter, or worse, summer, is a penalty hard enough since you can't resurrect in a safe place.

Archived