Achievements? WHAT?

Huh. Now that I think about it, I guess it WOULD give us a lot more obnoxiousness with people just trying to come in and get the trophies.  Although, some of them do require work...such as killing bosses, surviving a certain number of days or taming a beefalo. 

And while you CAN use console commands to cheat on PC, I myself have never done that--in fact I rarely think about it until someone brings it up (usually wanting me to spawn something in for them).  If we did have achievements (most likely in a mod) for the PC version, perhaps some bit of code could detect whether you'd been using the console or not?  My 596 days at Camp One-Foot-in-the-Grave were EARNED, dammit.  I dun wanna be lumped in with those impatient console-cheating little kids who have magic amazing wonder-bases with everything by Day 10.

(Also "chans", and have you sean the Antlion.  Sean the Antlion--hey, is that it's name now? and it's a boss in the savannah.  ERRRHHH, wrong.  Savannah is where beefalo, rabbits and grass live.  _Deserts_ have cactus.  I know it's nitpicky, but that person was already being annoying, so hey.)

...Notorious

10 minutes ago, GiddyGuy said:

@jesuisralph gib me chans...I'm sorry I can't get over how they can't spell "chance"

And sorry you had to go through all of that, I'm way more happy that DST doesn't have achievements now.

He sent me 2 voice messages, it's him making sounds of himself crying. Which was the weirdest thing I've ever gotten.

2 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Huh. Now that I think about it, I guess it WOULD give us a lot more obnoxiousness with people just trying to come in and get the trophies.  Although, some of them do require work...such as killing bosses, surviving a certain number of days or taming a beefalo. 

And while you CAN use console commands to cheat on PC, I myself have never done that--in fact I rarely think about it until someone brings it up (usually wanting me to spawn something in for them).  If we did have achievements (most likely in a mod) for the PC version, perhaps some bit of code could detect whether you'd been using the console or not?  My 596 days at Camp One-Foot-in-the-Grave were EARNED, dammit.  I dun wanna be lumped in with those impatient console-cheating little kids who have magic amazing wonder-bases with everything by Day 10.

(Also "chans", and have you sean the Antlion.  Sean the Antlion--hey, is that it's name now? and it's a boss in the savannah.  ERRRHHH, wrong.  Savannah is where beefalo, rabbits and grass live.  _Deserts_ have cactus.  I know it's nitpicky, but that person was already being annoying, so hey.)

...Notorious

U have alot ways as i already mention there are some mods already anyway out to protect ur servers. Like owner permissions, fire and wall protections etc..~ beside the fact u can simply implent code checklines if u used Too many items mod or console to spawn items in tho.
The Pc version has alot of possibility when it comes down to that.

Best Regards

It'd have to be somebody else who actually makes an achievement mod of _any_ kind, though--I just don't know the programming stuff and don't mess with it. I'm very happy to reap the rewards of other people's creativity but have no idea how to do it myself.  : P

Anybody else wants to go for it, sure, why not? I'd probably at least _try_ a mod like that for a while if it existed.  But I wouldn't die without it either. (shrug)

...Notorious

5 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

It'd have to be somebody else who actually makes an achievement mod of _any_ kind, though--I just don't know the programming stuff and don't mess with it. I'm very happy to reap the rewards of other people's creativity but have no idea how to do it myself.  : P

Anybody else wants to go for it, sure, why not? I'd probably at least _try_ a mod like that for a while if it existed.  But I wouldn't die without it either. (shrug)

...Notorious

Welcome to my world, im not a coder or artist anyhow im more the idea factory / producer. But duo to bring a project alive im working on i need atleast the basic for coding and Art learning currently. And i wouldnt mind going deeper again into Lua coding and the whole modding stuff since i did before my big break but time is a big cap sadly and i would probably need some time to just get into Lua back and the DSt coding then trial and error the Achievment mod to get maybe a result what takes probably some weeks on luckyside.

2 hours ago, Donke60 said:

Thats not a lot of hours for what type of game DS is.

I never said it was a lot, I only implied it was enough to know if there's a big problem of trophy hunters on PS4 DST, which I don't believe there is. Most people won't even play that much so if I don't encounter one trophy hunter in that amount of time than to most people it's going to be a non-issue

1 hour ago, jesuisralph said:

Sure, doubtful/exaggerated.. I just make things up: http://imgur.com/a/MPivS

50 hours is nothing comparing to 2 months playing w/ almost 2700+ days on my 5th world. I had to rebuild, delete and redo worlds due to trolling.

I never compared my time to anyone else or said it was a lot. Shall I get a ruler out so we can continue this measuring contest?  Also, anything a troll can do a rollback can fix, which I'm pretty sure is the entire purpose of rollbacks

22 minutes ago, Josonic said:

I never said it was a lot, I only implied it was enough to know if there's a big problem of trophy hunters on PS4 DST, which I don't believe there is. Most people won't even play that much so if I don't encounter one trophy hunter in that amount of time than to most people it's going to be a non-issue

I never compared my time to anyone else or said it was a lot. Shall I get a ruler out so we can continue this measuring contest?  Also, anything a troll can do a rollback can fix, which I'm pretty sure is the entire purpose of rollbacks

I never said this is a "contest", I don't even know how we got to the "ruler measuring" sounds like I'm talking to a extremely butthurt player.

What I mean to say is, try lasting longer than 100 days in-game and 50 hours of gameplay you will see the rise on friend request, PSN messages and people wanting to join your world for trophies. I never got any of the harassment, trophy hunter players during my 2 weeks of gameplay.

Also saying you got all of your achievements within 100 days in your "solo" world is highly doubtful. You can't get certain trophies without the help of other players in your world, just saying.

"Most people won't even play that much" <-- lol only the Trophy hunters would say this, once they're done getting the trophies they move on. This game is very good and people do play a lot. 

"Also, anything a troll can do a rollback can fix, which I'm pretty sure is the entire purpose of rollbacks" <-- Sure, let me join your world, take your rare items and leave your server... try to rollback to see if you get the items back. If you played enough you would know rollbacks doesn't "fix" items a random player took, it stays with that player inventory forever, I would know because I actually tried to rollback to get my items back but I never got back a krampus sack and thulecite items back and I rollback to the time before the player joined my world. 

3 hours ago, jesuisralph said:

Sure, doubtful/exaggerated.. I just make things up: http://imgur.com/a/MPivS

50 hours is nothing comparing to 2 months playing w/ almost 2700+ days on my 5th world. I had to rebuild, delete and redo worlds due to trolling.

Is it just me that likes seeing idiots thinking that we will fall for whatever they say? I really hate these people but love reading the things they say.  Also, I like the way you responded. 

2 hours ago, jesuisralph said:

I never said this is a "contest", I don't even know how we got to the "ruler measuring" sounds like I'm talking to a extremely butthurt player.

What I mean to say is, try lasting longer than 100 days in-game and 50 hours of gameplay you will see the rise on friend request, PSN messages and people wanting to join your world for trophies. I never got any of the harassment, trophy hunter players during my 2 weeks of gameplay.

Also saying you got all of your achievements within 100 days in your "solo" world is highly doubtful. You can't get certain trophies without the help of other players in your world, just saying.

"Most people won't even play that much" <-- lol only the Trophy hunters would say this, once they're done getting the trophies they move on. This game is very good and people do play a lot. 

"Also, anything a troll can do a rollback can fix, which I'm pretty sure is the entire purpose of rollbacks" <-- Sure, let me join your world, take your rare items and leave your server... try to rollback to see if you get the items back. If you played enough you would know rollbacks doesn't "fix" items a random player took, it stays with that player inventory forever, I would know because I actually tried to rollback to get my items back but I never got back a krampus sack and thulecite items back and I rollback to the time before the player joined my world. 

Ive rolled back before, and I had the items before the rollback. (Aka glommers flower, roll back then I don't have it, roll back then I have items back, etc.) plus, items dropped would be there again.

3 hours ago, TheMightyPikachu said:

Ive rolled back before, and I had the items before the rollback. (Aka glommers flower, roll back then I don't have it, roll back then I have items back, etc.) plus, items dropped would be there again.

Things visitors cannot take with them are Chester bone/or Glommer flower. Those get dropped once they logout or enter the caves. I actually went through some trolling with Chester in early days (when I was somewhat new to the game) I made a world, had players join someone found Chester while I was still exploring the map.. he shouted "I found Chester" then a couple of minutes later he logout. I thought he took Chester with him because it took me a very long time to find it, I looked almost everywhere & I found out that someone opened a cave entrances (I was new to the game and had no prior experience in the caves so I pretty much gave up looking for Chester for a few days, but I needed Chester very badly I went on reddit to ask questions about the caves so I can go under and look for him but someone told me that players cannot take Chester or Glommer inside the caves that was a HUGE relief, it gave me more motivation to look every inch of my large map. I finally found him near another open cave entrance, so I think the player that found him tried to take Chester inside and failed then logged out. 

What I'm talking about are backpacks, weapons, armor etc... (items that stays with the player's inventory in case they rejoin the server). I could not retrieve a krampus sack along with the thulecite items this former friend of mine took, he took the items went inside the caves saying he will look for Ancient Guardian and then logged out, when he logged out it made me feel nervous so I rolled back to try to get the items back but I didn't get the krampus sack he took with a lot of stuff inside. I sent him a PSN message asking him if he is going to come back, he never replied back and then deleted me off PSN friend's list. I was upset for a while because it took me a very long time to farm a few krampus sack at that time I had 3 krampus sack, he took one and I was never able to get it back... 

8 hours ago, Deathlord Avon said:

Do u mean the Quest system or what it was, thats different from Achievments tbh. Achievments are just side rewards for doing x stuff but not needed, Quests are straight jobs to be done to be finished.

Not really. Achievement could lead to people playing differently than what they like because they need the achievement. Main difference is that it happen only once for each achievement rather than for each game, but it still lead people to do stuff not because they find this fun but because they have to.

And if they were on public server i imagine how many people will stay in a camp eating food and doing nothing to survive long enough for a challenge, or taking all the meat to have the pig follower challenge, or taking all food to domesticate a beefalo. Not really something i want to see. Sure, it will happen once for each player, but each server could have multiple players, so you can see a lot of people just wanting to do challenge coming and leaving. Not really something great for the game.

9 hours ago, Donke60 said:

Steams messaging is similar to PSN messaging

Steam doesn't have this kind of harassment system as PSN. Strangers can't message you directly in Steam. They have to add you as a friend in order to do it. They can post comments on your profile but you can simply select and option in Steam to ''only friends can post comments''. Say good-bye to jerks and immature people.

I think that what you both @Donke60 @jesuisralph described is actually present in the dedicated servers as well and in public servers with very inexperienced people who happened to not have it with password, the difference is that you don't have many options to actually repel these people's attacks, specially if you didn't create your world using a password or if you don't know about the rerolling option! The only really nerve wrecking part for DST PS4 users is that these random people can send you PMs, that is for sure a very horrible situation. 

TBH I don't see why PC users want achievements, these aren't of any importance to PC users, you get literally 0 benefit from having them. It's a thing to show off, but they earn you nothing! 

@jesuisralph if you could only earn achievements while your console was disabled, that could work too for PC achievements! I guess you could have mods to do it too, but perhaps the achievements could also have the condition of you not having any server mods enabled on the server either to get them?

Why would players want achievements from games that they don't even want though? They earn some money, or they have a really bad case of OCD for trophies?

And may be @ScottHansen  can answer this: why can't console be enabled for PS4 via some in-game method and have the achievements only be given to players if they complete a task without it enabled, like what I've suggested for PC?

3 hours ago, Hirridok said:

Isn't it funny how the normal DS doesn't have achievements but still it had a XP system to unlock characters?

That just kept track of days because most characters were locked by day counts.
They were never an achivement really unless you got Wes or maxwell,wilbur or Woodlegs,webber

Because if you chuck yourself at a brick wall  enough time you would have unlocked most of the characters

5 hours ago, Lumina said:

Not really. Achievement could lead to people playing differently than what they like because they need the achievement. Main difference is that it happen only once for each achievement rather than for each game, but it still lead people to do stuff not because they find this fun but because they have to.

And if they were on public server i imagine how many people will stay in a camp eating food and doing nothing to survive long enough for a challenge, or taking all the meat to have the pig follower challenge, or taking all food to domesticate a beefalo. Not really something i want to see. Sure, it will happen once for each player, but each server could have multiple players, so you can see a lot of people just wanting to do challenge coming and leaving. Not really something great for the game.

But thats the pref playsytle of the dude then not the games fault. I would play like i ever play with the differenc ei have some goals i can accomplish when i done my main thingy.
Also whats the difference as people stay with godmode for Skin farming ? That was a greta thing either and as stupid as only trophy farming.

If achievements were added to the single player game, then sure, but it seems very likely from the experience of PS players that it has a negative effect on how many people play and in multiplayer that affects the experience of everyone in the game. It's great that Klei realizes this and refuses to add a bunch of meaningless trophies unless they are forced to.

10 minutes ago, TheMightyPikachu said:

Very interesting, I was not able to do that when a former friend took my stuff though. If you have the PS4 version could you try with me? I will stream so I could show it to you when I rollback I don't get the stuff back that is in the other player's inventory.

This is my main world: 

it's currently unplayable, I keep getting kicked out... JanH said it could be my internet connection but I'm 100% sure it's not because I tested in other worlds and it runs smoothly, no crashes at all. Only my main is like this :( 

3 minutes ago, jesuisralph said:

Very interesting, I was not able to do that when a former friend took my stuff though. If you have the PS4 version could you try with me? I will stream so I could show it to you when I rollback I don't get the stuff back that is in the other player's inventory.

This is my main world: 

it's currently unplayable, I keep getting kicked out... JanH said it could be my internet connection but I'm 100% sure it's not because I tested in other worlds and it runs smoothly, no crashes at all. Only my main is like this :( 

I do not have a ps4 so i cant try it with you.

10 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

can answer this: why can't console be enabled for PS4 via some in-game method and have the achievements only be given to players if they complete a task without it enabled, like what I've suggested for PC?

Last I knew Sony doesn't allow for developer tools to exist on the games for their platform, which the console may constitute as.

3 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

Last I knew Sony doesn't allow for developer tools to exist on the games for their platform, which the console may constitute as.

I look into it there is a way though you would have to download it off the interent and onto your PS4. Though it looks complicated and Sony did say that it could break your console so be careful.
Don't do what I just posted.

15 minutes ago, Donke60 said:

I look into it there is a way though you would have to download it off the interent and onto your PS4. Though it looks complicated and Sony did say that it could break your console so be careful.

<Link>

This is a hack to enable a developer mode on the console and has nothing to do with Sony's stance on allowing developer tools in the games for their platform; it exists in kernel space rather than user land where games reside.

You will void all applicable warranty guarantees by using this and I would advise not mucking with your PS4's kernel without a thorough knowledge on it and the consequences that may happen.

12 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

This is a hack to enable a developer mode on the console and has nothing to do with Sony's stance on allowing developer tools in the games for their platform; it exists in kernel space rather than user land where games reside.

You will void all applicable warranty guarantees by using this and I would advise not mucking with your PS4's kernel without a thorough knowledge on it and the consequences that may happen.

52437864.jpg

Archived