So Woodie still sucks right?

1 hour ago, Alarsin said:

FreyaMaluk, thanks for the demonstration.

From what I've seen, beaver is much faster at chopping trees that the skeleton. Significantly faster. Only Maxwell's shadows (2-4 of them) can replace him at cutting down trees. And, of course, bearger.

I rather get a reliable log stompper skeleton that dies every time at dusk and causes me no problems, but takes 30 seconds more when destroying trees than playing as Woodie.

Besides, I did mentioned that this is a farming method, not the fastest! I never said this is a competition of speed! And there are many more methods, Piggies are by far the easiest companions for tree chopping and they do boost you sanity, so double benefit!

But all these are beyond the point and do not change all the other facts, that the beaver for is not fun and that the management for this character is considerably high with little recompense!  

3 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I rather get a reliable log stompper skeleton that dies every time at dusk and causes me no problems, but takes 30 seconds more when destroying trees than playing as Woodie.

Besides, I did mentioned that this is a farming method, not the fastest! I never said this is a competition of speed! And there are many more methods, Piggies are by far the easiest companions for tree chopping and they do boost you sanity, so double benefit!

But all these are beyond the point and do not change all the other facts, that the beaver for is not fun and that the management for this character is considerably high with little recompense!  

Maybe, beaver is not strong, but for me he's fun. I like Woodie more like a character, his overall theme, mood, skins, and stuff. Wickerbottom is incredibly powerful with her books, but she's boring. Her quotes, her appearance, her pokerface. She is just a machine without emotions. Maybe, Woodie is not an OP terminator, but he's fun to play. At least, for me.

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 8.51.53 PM.png

3 hours ago, Alarsin said:

Maybe, beaver is not strong, but for me he's fun. I like Woodie more like a character, his overall theme, mood, skins, and stuff. Wickerbottom is incredibly powerful with her books, but she's boring. Her quotes, her appearance, her pokerface. She is just a machine without emotions. Maybe, Woodie is not an OP terminator, but he's fun to play. At least, for me.

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 8.51.53 PM.png

I agree with you there that this character design and quotes are very neat, but that doesn't change the problem with his beaver form and the amount of management. 

You just seek now to trigger me with that comment, but I'm not falling for that. If Wicker's books are OP or not it's not the theme of this thread.

Don't just defend your main out of pure love with 0 neutral arguments ignoring some of the general concerns about this character.

I'm very happy that you do love this character and all his visuals and his lines of dialogue, I actually do too. That's actually why I feel so heartbroken about it, cuz it makes one of the most beloved characters in DS pretty boring to play in DST. Don't take that as a general insult directed to you, it is the impression of a fair amount of people after playing this character in DST.

Besides, my love for Woodie do not blind me to the point that I can't just ignore where the flaws of this character lie.

I believe that Woodie needs some love to his beaver form in DST and that the changes to his mechanics with the migration from DS to DST are the main responsable for that general feeling, I hope your blind love can allow you to see at least that fact.

tbh Woodie is nice to nightmare fuel farm and provide nightmare swords I don't care about his resistance as a werebeaver but the damage is a pretty biggie 

But Woodie is fun to play on DST I really don't see him as a character needing a new change other than his beaver damage 

I honestly don't understand. Yeap, Maxwell essentially takes his job as a chopper AND as a digger, having even more perks as well, but I don't see how Woodie is weak in general.

The beaver is weak for combat, sure... So what?

The way he's been integrated into DST is a bit questionable for be, but I wouldn't call it the worst implementation of character mechanics ever. Unlike some other character...

3 hours ago, MrDeepDarkmind said:

tbh Woodie is nice to nightmare fuel farm and provide nightmare swords I don't care about his resistance as a werebeaver but the damage is a pretty biggie 

But Woodie is fun to play on DST I really don't see him as a character needing a new change other than his beaver damage 

i would'n call him a good fuel farm. He is just one fuel farm. Wickerbottom excels at this and she can spawn Krampus and provide meat and feathers all at the same time. 

I understand your point, but every character can be a nightmare fuel farm.. just 3 to 4 green mushrooms and the other people in the server need to be killing the shadow creatures and protecting the crazy one... done! 

Or if solo, traveling back and forth through wormholes, good armor and a ham bat. and you would be even better that his beaver form, cuz his reduced dmg doesn't allow for effective solo nightmare fuel farming.

38 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

I honestly don't understand. Yeap, Maxwell essentially takes his job as a chopper AND as a digger, having even more perks as well, but I don't see how Woodie is weak in general.

The beaver is weak for combat, sure... So what?

The way he's been integrated into DST is a bit questionable for be, but I wouldn't call it the worst implementation of character mechanics ever. Unlike some other character...

I never said this is the worst implementation ever... it's just annoying how the beaver form works now! Low DMG + High Sanity Drain make the beaver form not fun!

One of the reasons I don't play him is because of the exploit that allows every other characters to chop fast (by holding spacebar + repeatedly left clicking on the tree you're chopping).

What if we got rid of the log meter and merged it with sanity ? Cutting trees would decrease it and transformation would occur below a certain point, planting trees would still increase it, and only the Beaver could eat logs and such to gain sanity to get back to normal form.

6 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I agree with you there that this character design and quotes are very neat, but that doesn't change the problem with his beaver form and the amount of management. 

You just seek now to trigger me with that comment, but I'm not falling for that. If Wicker's books are OP or not it's not the theme of this thread.

Don't just defend your main out of pure love with 0 neutral arguments ignoring some of the general concerns about this character.

I'm very happy that you do love this character and all his visuals and his lines of dialogue, I actually do too. That's actually why I feel so heartbroken about it, cuz it makes one of the most beloved characters in DS pretty boring to play in DST. Don't take that as a general insult directed to you, it is the impression of a fair amount of people after playing this character in DST.

Besides, my love for Woodie do not blind me to the point that I can't just ignore where the flaws of this character lie.

I believe that Woodie needs some love to his beaver form in DST and that the changes to his mechanics with the migration from DS to DST are the main responsable for that general feeling, I hope your blind love can allow you to see at least that fact.

I was just explaining why I like Woodie, I wasn't trying to make you like him. I'm not telling you that you're wrong. Why do you think I'm trying to trigger you?

I don't have any problems with his beaver form and I'm not complaining about how he is weak. Maybe you guys played too much singleplayer before, that's why this rebalance made you think he's weak now.

Also, try this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=846748508&searchtext=curse

4 hours ago, Alarsin said:

I was just explaining why I like Woodie, I wasn't trying to make you like him. I'm not telling you that you're wrong. Why do you think I'm trying to trigger you?

I don't have any problems with his beaver form and I'm not complaining about how he is weak. Maybe you guys played too much singleplayer before, that's why this rebalance made you think he's weak now.

Also, try this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=846748508&searchtext=curse

I thought you knew my main is Wicker, that's why. Never mind...

That's just hilarious cuz this mod addresses every single aspect we discussed in this forum. Ty for the tip :) 

5 hours ago, Bahlsen said:

the exploit that allows every other characters to chop fast (by holding spacebar + repeatedly left clicking on the tree you're chopping)

Woodie chopping is still faster than animation cancelling, and can save you from that carpal tunnel.

34 minutes ago, HamBatter said:

Woodie chopping is still faster than animation cancelling, and can save you from that carpal tunnel.

Lol if it wasn't the case we'd have a Woodie mains riot on our hand. Now Woodie can be worth it if he chops 2x faster than other characters (which is still arguable), but is he still worth it if it's only 1,5 (I'm throwing random numbers here but you get the idea) ?

I should try to engage in an experience to see how faster he really is, compared to an exploiter, because you have to eat a bit of the logs you chop too...

Woodie's just...a weird combination.
He's kind of a mediocre version of Maxwell as far as harvesting goes, not only slower with it (and even slower than normal with rock-gathering), but turning super vulnerable in his harvesting form. I mean...putting it up to the standard of items that anyone can get almost immediately wouldn't hurt. Werebeaver has far less defense than a grass suit and can't add to it.
It has insulation...but you're also unable to make fires or use your inventory or even map in that form. And as a heavy map user, personally, that's a huge turnoff.
Night-vision benefit to me is largely countered by that.

So yea, TBH Werebeaver form is pretty crappy.
Buuut...
He has hidden power that doesn't get much use.
Pigmen, and other followers. They automatically follow him for longer.
Pine-cone sanity restoration. Use the Pigmen or a Maxwell to chop a forest for you, and you've got an easy supply of sanity restoring items.
Even Woodie's normal form has some built in insulation. That makes you better for running around during Winter.

To me, it seems better to ignore the Werebeaver form altogether.
Get an army of pink forest friends to do the work for you and go on an adventure.

Actually, it's appropriate that he'd start trying to avoid the curse now, with all the other characters around and them probably being terrified by it (besides Wendy).

46 minutes ago, Bahlsen said:

Lol if it wasn't the case we'd have a Woodie mains riot on our hand. Now Woodie can be worth it if he chops 2x faster than other characters (which is still arguable), but is he still worth it if it's only 1,5 (I'm throwing random numbers here but you get the idea) ?

I should try to engage in an experience to see how faster he really is, compared to an exploiter, because you have to eat a bit of the logs you chop too...

what's stopping him from using the exploit, exactly? he'd be even faster with the exploit, anyway.

11 minutes ago, StarmanNess said:

what's stopping him from using the exploit, exactly? he'd be even faster with the exploit, anyway.

Even with the exploit, there's still a max speed.
It's around as fast as Woodie, maybe just a bit faster.
...I mean, if we're talking about the animation-canceling one.

I used it a lot in single player.

4 hours ago, HamBatter said:

All times approximate and time starts on swing animation start to items spawning on a fully grown T3 tree.

Woodie without animation cancelling: 1.66s

Woodie with animation cancelling: 0.82s

<Other> without animation cancelling: 4.48s

<Other> with animation cancelling: 3.38s

So yes, HamBatter is correct in that Woodie is about 1.72s quicker without animation cancelling compared to someone who is cancelling and is not Woodie.

Oh, have this: https://s1.webmshare.com/69Pvn.webm

1 hour ago, CarlZalph said:

All times approximate and time starts on swing animation start to items spawning on a fully grown T3 tree.

Woodie without animation cancelling: 1.66s

Woodie with animation cancelling: 0.82s

<Other> without animation cancelling: 4.48s

<Other> with animation cancelling: 3.38s

So yes, HamBatter is correct in that Woodie is about 1.72s quicker without animation cancelling compared to someone who is cancelling and is not Woodie.

...now that I think about it, I had this method confused with the usual (less hand-intensive) speed-chopping method. Hadn't even thought of doing it this way.
Going to have to try that sometime.

Archived