Maxwell : Codex Umbra Redesign

Codex Umbra : 

Maxwell is capable of summoning shadow puppets by placing the Codex Umbra on the ground and selecting one from the corresponding crafting tab.

Shadow puppets spawned by Maxwell can perform their individual action a select amount of times before they expire and are banished, they will last approximately one day before vanishing on their own if they do not exceed their action cap. Shadow puppets require nothing to be summoned except for a cost of sanity, furthermore they will drain Maxwell's sanity while active; diminishing his natural sanity aura.

Most shadow puppets will only interact with objects Maxwell himself is interacting with, however Maxwell is capable of directing them to interact with objects from a distance by clicking on them with the Codex Umbra held in cursor. Maxwell can furthermore banish his puppets manually by clicking on them with the Codex Umbra held in cursor.

Maxwell can have a maximum of two puppets active at once.

Shadow Logger – Cost / 30 Sanity, Lasts / 50 Chops, 100 Health / -5 Sanity Aura per min

Chops from trees Maxwell is chopping.

Shadow Miner – Cost / 30 Sanity, Lasts / 20 Picks, 100 Health / -5 Sanity Aura per min

Mines from rocks Maxwell is mining.

Shadow Digger – Cost / 20 Sanity, Lasts / 10 Digs, 100 Health / -3 Sanity Aura per min

Digs up nearby stumps automatically, or plants if directed manually.

Shadow Collector – Cost / 25 Sanity, Lasts / 30 Grabs, 100 Health / -3 Sanity Aura per min

Picks up nearby dropped items, acquired items are deposited in Maxwell's inventory.

Shadow Duelist – Cost / 35 Sanity, Lasts / 20 Swings, 100 Health / 75% Damage Resistance / 40 Damage / -7 Sanity Aura per min

Attacks enemies Maxwell is in combat with. Kites, uses melee.

Shadow Conjurer - Cost / 35 Sanity, Lasts / 10 Casts, 100 Health / 25% Damage Resistance / 30 Damage / -7 Sanity Aura per min

Attacks enemies Maxwell is in combat with. Flees, uses a slow to cast small area effect spell. Will only flee enemies for a certain distance before returning to Maxwell.

With this new Codex Umbra, Maxwell is once again a puppet master.

Maxwell's high sanity and sanity aura instead of removing sanity management exist to counterbalance the cost and drain of using his puppets, instead of needing sanity restoration to normally survive Maxwell uses it to refuel the cost of conjuring shadows.

Maxwell's puppets naturally aid him in whatever task he performs which they also specialize in, however Maxwell is also able to control them with the Codex Umbra. This allows for a variety of strategic uses. Maxwell can direct his puppets to harvest from one type of resource while he harvests another, he can send a Collector to pick up items in a dangerous area to avoid risk, and he can command his Duelists and Conjurers to fight other creatures without him even needing to join the fray. All of this weighed by the initial cost and subsequent drain which requires Maxwell to keep replenishing his sanity like any other survivor, but for different reasons. His lower health also a balance to his ability to summon combat allies.

Wait would he have his natural sanity regain or would it be 20/min

I think this is mostly fine except I don't know abut the AoE casters for doing area of effect can be OP and how much damage would they do?

For the Shadow collector I think I rather have him a very small inventory of say 4 slots because if it instantly transfers I could see that being a pain  like the puppet just picks up a random thing you didn't see and fills your inventory.

And I think the puppets should rather have a day timer like 3 to 5 mins as opposed to the action one so he can retain his speed. Because as of now it seems little use to make them especailly the miner instead of just doing it yourself.

Edit 

75% Damage Resistance
seems a little much and there hit counter is really low
though I can understand that being there so that they can honestly get 20 hits in but still.

I'm okay with everything else (I think) brings him closer to his DS contetpart.

4 hours ago, The Curator said:

pets require nothing to be summoned except for a cost of sanity, furthermore they will drain Maxwell's sanity while active; diminishing his natural sanity aura.

Most shadow puppets will only interact with objects Maxwell himself is interacting with, however Maxwell is capable of directing them to interact with objects from a distance by clicking on them with the Codex Umbra held in cursor. Maxwell can furthermore banish his puppets manually by clicking on them with the Code

I kinda have mixed feelings about this. It generally sounds useful but I would miss Maxwell's ability to farm fuel so easily. One thing I'd like would be able to switch puppets from a manual mode to auto (kinda like how it currently is). Or at the very least allow Waxwell to command them without having to hold the codex. I think it would also be neat to add this alongside the current system. That way you can choose a temporary, disposable minion, or you can spend some fuel for a more longer lasting one.

Although, now that I think about it, not requiring fuel seems unusual. The shadows have to come from something. And nightmare fuel is pretty much the essence of shadows. Huh. And now we enter ambiguous lore territory...

12 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

One thing I'd like would be able to switch puppets from a manual mode to auto (kinda like how it currently is). Or at the very least allow Waxwell to command them without having to hold the codex. I think it would also be neat to add this alongside the current system. That way you can choose a temporary, disposable minion, or you can spend some fuel for a more longer lasting one.

Would require some kind of on/off switch on the Codex and a more complex crafting menu for that though, which isn't how Klei usually does things in the game. Tried to limit the complexity of this system to begin with for that very reason.

5 hours ago, Alarsin said:

Whats the point of miner, chopper, and digger with 50 actions limit if you can do it easily by yourself? In the original game, there's no chops/mines/digs limit, which makes puppets incredibly useful.

Well it's indeed possible that you can just arbitrarily question any character boon with "why not just do it without that boon" because reasons.

But if it was not already clearly obvious; the point is having puppets makes things two to three times faster. A completely negligible benefit to be sure.

It was in the original game was it. Really doesn't matter since Maxwell is different from the original game, it is not the same context.

Archived