Best use for which material ?

Hi,

I was just wandering what from your experience is the best use for which material? This is my view.

• Tungsten (has anyone found a way to produce it yet?)
  • Copper Ore (has a decor bonus but machines build from it suffer thermal damage))
  • Iron Ore
  • Gold Amalgam (my first choice for power consuming items because for its overheat bonus)
  • Wolframite (has the best thermal conductivity, but as metal only good for a liquid pipe cooling/heating system)
  • Abyssalite (insulating tiles)
  • Granite (because of its decor and overheat bonuses it should be used as building material for anything but insulating tiles )
  • Sandstone (has a decor bonus but should not used to retain water  - I have seen it breaking from pressure)
  • Igneous Rock (its overheat bonus might be good for retaining walls in very hot areas, but still not as good as granite)
  • Obsidian (has a overheat bonus)
  • Sedimentary Rock (last choice building material)
  • Phosphorite (I think the only use at the moment is Hatch food)

Pease add/comment. I like to add the best responses to the Wiki then.

2 minutes ago, SchlauFuchs said:

Granite (because of its decor and overheat bonuses it should be used as building material for anything but insulating tiles )

Granite and Sandstone bonus is multiplicative, i.e. x1.1 or x1.2. Only things with positive decor should be built from Granite or Sandstone. Buildings with negative decor (e.g. pipes) get a boost with granite or sandstone, it's making them "uglier". At least for now.

1 minute ago, Kasuha said:

Granite and Sandstone bonus is multiplicative, i.e. x1.1 or x1.2. Only things with positive decor should be built from Granite or Sandstone. Buildings with negative decor (e.g. pipes) get a boost with granite or sandstone, it's making them "uglier". At least for now.

Wow, did not know that.

Seems to me that materials with high heat conductivity like wolframite, iron, and granite transfer heat to the air faster.  Low heat conductivity materials hold heat in but take longer to heat up like Gold, Obsidian, etc. and act like insulators.

I use high conductivity materials to build hot machines that can overheat and areas I want to transfer heat to or from.  Keeps the machines running cooler and tiles transfer heat from room to room faster.

Low conductivity materials I use on tiles I want some insulation on without using insulated tiles like doors to hot rooms from protected areas, vents, mesh, permeable tiles.

And then you have Abysallite seems to be 0 heat transference.  Great for top notch insulation.  Works well for hot pipes running through your base to prevent it from heating up.

1 hour ago, Risu said:

Abyssalite is a Tungsten element, therefore a metal material, not a rock material.

Well it is actually its own special element (Ab). 

I guess it being crystalline makes it a metal but it certainly used more like a rock due it being a terrible conductor.

Odd how it melts into Tungsten which is conductive.

Archived