More time playing and less time gambling for a good starting setup

Love this game enormously! One drawback that is kind of annoying, though, is the "shuffle" option in the beginning while choosing duplicants. It's sort of frustrating to shuffle through some duplicants until I find just the right combination, then start the game only to find myself in a really crappy setup with the terrain. So I exit out of the game and go through all the rigamarole of shuffling through just the right combination of duplicants again. Sometimes it could be hours before I get the right starting combination that I'm looking for. It would be one thing if it actually enticed me to play the cards I'm dealt but the incentive seems to be to spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get just the right setup of duplicants and starting world before playing this wonderful game. Why not cut to the chase and allow us to choose duplicant starting traits for ourselves? Give us maybe 15 points per duplicant to start with or something and allow us to allocate those points as we wish toward, creativity, learning, athletics, etc.. Then we can spend less time trying to come up with a good setup and more time playing this wonderful game. Just my thoughts...

Had that exact thought yesterday when testing something, you beat me to posting it. I would even go further: Skip the selection process completely and let the printing pod start to rapidly print duplicants at the beginning, add a nice explosion after the third (to give it a reason why it stops: it isn't located on the surface of an earth like planet as intended because it's somehow defective) so it'll be repaired (which is only possible in a duct tape manner, never reaching original performance again) which is something the original three dupes do - as soon as they're done the 'cut scene' ends and the game begins, with the printer in emergency mode.

TC, do you at least dig left and right to see the other biomes before restarting the game? Sometimes what looks to be a crappy map turns out to be great. The current one I'm using I thought wasn't good until I explored the map. I found nothing until I hit the edge where there was three Geysers close together in the Slime biome. Currently I'm building a mega-reservoir to contain all the water comes from 2 Geysers sitting just over it. I had to build it because the rest of the Slime biome was loaded with pockets of Polluted Water, so I just couldn't let it fall to collect. I drained the Polluted Water to sit at a lower level and started building. I'm 50+ Cycles in and almost done building only using 6 Dupes. Its taking so long because I had to also build my colony's living area and bathrooms besides doing research.

As for the reservoir's perimeter is 22x22 tiles with a 3 tile boarder on the sides and bottom making the water containment 16 wide x 18 tiles deep capacity. The sides of the reservoir has Gas Permeable tiles every 3 tiles up so CO2 won't collect inside. I've always had a problem with that when building reservoirs.

I haven't gotten to any of the other biomes yet. I usually start to run out of algae for oxygen before I branch out that far. That's why I've been deleting games where I don't see much algae to get me started. Of course I'm still learning the game so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Yeah you shouldn't be running out of oxygen before getting to the other biomes, regardless of how much algae is around. I'm guessing you are digging a big area in the starting place? Thats prob why. You need to expand slowly and dig as small a area as possible and then seal off areas you do not go into once dug. Also do not take in too many dupes in the beginning.

What I usually do is research planters for food and once I setup beds and planters, I dig a 2 block high tunnel to the left/right to find the ice biome to place my ration box. If you can find a geyser then all your oxygen problems are solved once you research the electrolyzer, if you do not see one near the starting area then you can gamble on finding it before your water supplies depletes. If you do not want to gamble water then you can find the green biomes and turn slime into algae but that is a slow process and prob not worth it unless you have a ton of slime and many refineries.

Another more exploity way is to kill dupes off inside a kill room made with gas/mesh tiles to spawn morbs that generate polluted oxygen, there is no significant downsides to breathing polluted oxygen ATM but it will change in the future. You can stop resorting to this once you found a geyser.

One thing that will make the game easier for those who want it and harder for others is to have a customization screen at world generation.  Much like Don't Starve and Factorio does.  That way, the hard core can make their dream death map and the rest of us can enjoy a more leisurely pursuit.  I'm fairly confident that the good Klei devs will offer something like this.  It's an easy way (ha!) to give gamers an easy, medium, hard, murder difficulty setting without the devs themselves deciding what those difficulties should be.

I would also caution the devs to not be to easily swayed by a vocal minority on either end of the 'too easy', 'not hard enough' debate.  I've seen games get so damn difficult because the hard core tend to be more vocal about "make it harder!" and often, these are the only voices the devs hear.

/soapbox haha

10 hours ago, AlexRou said:

Yeah you shouldn't be running out of oxygen before getting to the other biomes, regardless of how much algae is around. I'm guessing you are digging a big area in the starting place? Thats prob why. You need to expand slowly and dig as small a area as possible and then seal off areas you do not go into once dug. Also do not take in too many dupes in the beginning.

What I usually do is research planters for food and once I setup beds and planters, I dig a 2 block high tunnel to the left/right to find the ice biome to place my ration box. If you can find a geyser then all your oxygen problems are solved once you research the electrolyzer, if you do not see one near the starting area then you can gamble on finding it before your water supplies depletes. If you do not want to gamble water then you can find the green biomes and turn slime into algae but that is a slow process and prob not worth it unless you have a ton of slime and many refineries.

Another more exploity way is to kill dupes off inside a kill room made with gas/mesh tiles to spawn morbs that generate polluted oxygen, there is no significant downsides to breathing polluted oxygen ATM but it will change in the future. You can stop resorting to this once you found a geyser.

Yeah, I've been pretty much digging out the entire starting area from the get go. By the time I'm finished with it the algae is pretty much gone. guess I'll change that strategy. Thanks for the pointer. 

Archived