A Plea To The Devs.

I put this on the subreddit but I figured I should try here, I'm desperate and would like to k ow how you guys feel about this feature.

I don't know if I have some sort of sickness akin to OCD or anything along those lines and I certainly don't want to make light of that disorder but I have a problem that is keeping me from experiencing DST. I will say just so you're aware I have no PC, I have no way of getting a PC anytime soon nor do I want to pay DST on PC as my friends and trophies are on colsole, I am on PS4. Sadly I have no access to any sort of mods or console commands to alleviate this problem I'm having.

Let me start off by saying Klei... this game is amazing. I love watching people play and enjoy this masterpiece, Vlox (YouTuber) has been a miracle for me, he plays your games almost exclusively and I'm essentially living through him since I can't play the game myself with any decent progress being made at the moment. When I first found out about Don't Starve Together I was delighted and charmed by everything it had to offer. When I heard it was coming to PS4 I became incredibly interested in the game. When it finally released I spent many an hour throughout the day playing DST expanding my base, killing Giants and attempting not to starve. I was enjoying the game immensely, I was well over 100 days in and everything was going swimmingly. I even convinced a friend to purchase the game so we could play together, he obliged. He joined my world I had worked so hard on and continued to better it. We were progressing well so I decided to look up videos and guides, tips, tricks, things of that nature. This is where I screwed everything up.

I watched and read quite a lot of content regarding DST and found out something really smart to do when starting a world is to explore your map to the fullest, locating all biomes, finding the elusive Eye Bone and Walrus Camp etc... So I did what anyone trying to conquer the game would do, followed these tips. Doing this was the worst mistake I'd ever make in regards to this game. 

Before I continue let me explain a little about myself and elaborate on my "OCD" comment earlier (if that even is what this is). When I play games, miniscule things others could care less about have the potential to completely stop me from progressing in a game. Things that no one else would even think about will just stop me in my tracks. I once stopped playing a 200+ hour file in Fallout New Vegas because I noticed I didn't like the way a certain aspect of my characters face was shaped, it looked odd at a certain angle and bothered me. I tried to ignore the problem but it just gave me anxiety, stirring in my mind until eventually I deleted the file. I then tried recreating this character but couldn't perfect him so I stopped playing the game. Sonething similar also happened in Skyrim but I won't go into details since it's pretty much the same story.

I've had many other experiences like this, in Metal Gear Solid 3 (my favorite game franchise of all time, hopefully that lets you know how serious and stupid this is) there is a boss who shoots arrows. You manually heal wounds in this game, I was hit with an arrow and forgot to remove the bolt. As a result the wound healed and the bolt was stuck in the protagonists leg, I could no longer remove it. I hoped if I died or progressed and hit a cut scene it would disappear but I had saved since the wound healed and neither of these options worked, it was stuck... so in my head the only option was to delete the save and start fresh.

I don't know why but small visual blemishes can completely ruin games when I notice them. I find them then consistently think about them, they eat away at me, in the back of my mind I'm always thinking about them and just how imperfect they make the rest of the game look. I've tried to ignore stupid things like this, hopelessly convincing myself they aren't big deals an anxiety builds inside and my brain just concludes that this is a problem. It's either stop playing the game or fix it. I don't know why I'm like this and if I could make it stop I would.

Back to DST, as I said I had expanded my knowledge and skill through the advice of others.   I proceeded to explore my world and this is where my **** up comes into play. I come across a frog pond area... one of the many banes of my existence when it comes to DST. I notice two ponds overlapping each other in the middle of a road. I tried to brush it off explaining to myself that losing the base I had worked hard on and spent many hours with my buddy trying to perfect would be stupid to throw away but it couldn't be helped. The seed had been sewed, I just couldn't stop thinking about those two stupid ponds resting on top of each other, having different outer borders, looking irregular from the rest of the ponds in the area, like they were supposed to be one large pond but just decided to be two. Eventually my demons won leading me to toss the world and start a new. This would develop into a journey I would come to spend many months on and off this game, which spans what I'm sure is well over hundreds of new worlds and plenty of time attempting to fix small blemishwe such as this. I've been on the hunt for the "perfect world" and to this day I'm still unsuccessful which has kept me from progressing past usually the first few days.

When I start a new world one of my prerequisites is everything is to be left on default, I want the purest DST experience, as you might be able to guess changing any of the settings from the way I want them will make my "symptoms" act up (if that's what I should call them). I've tried messing with the world settings but as I've said above knowing it isn't how I actually want the game just bothers me and for some reason I just can't allow it.

I'm currently stuck in a cycle. I create a world. Start up, pick my main man Wilson, grab all 3 flowers around the spawn, proceed to collect supplies for survival whilst exploring the world and then notice something that bothers me, regenerate world, rinse and repeat.

Now to the entire point of this long ramble I've been on. I could make a long list of everything that happens that sets this off in my head and bother your team with a bunch of suggestions that might help me fix the worlds to my liking but I think I'm already bring incredibly selfish by even asking you read all of this. It can boiled down to one feature I am begging you guys to add into the game.

###PLEASE MAKE INDESTRUCTIBLE OBJECTS SOMEHOW REMOVABLE!

I know this goes completely against what the term indestructible means but if you could add this feature I believe it would fix everything for me. I could remove the graves in the middle of the roads, the overlapping ponds, all the BS that triggers this response inside if me. If you aren't able to do this I completely understand. I just wanted to make sure you fully understood my situation, and the predicament I'm stuck in rather than just asking you to add some feature you guys might feel doesn't belong in the game without fully explaining why I'm begging for this to be added. I don't even know if you'll see this. Hopefully you're able to reply, even if you can't add this ability to the game, until then I'll be on the search for my perfect world.

TL;DR 
I have stupid issues and I'm stuck on console. Please add the ability to remove indestructible objects from the game Klei Ent.

Anyway As I said OP you do have OCD and I would get diagnosed from your physicians and do exercises to lower your anxiety when your symptoms arise.

but as I and @Master Jand pointed out your going to have get a computer as to do what you ask requires the developers console if they make it an item it would be broken.

3 hours ago, Josonic said:

Diagnosing some one with a mental illness over one comment on an Internet forum. You must have some serious qualifications 

Well no I think he does given some of my friends had OCD but thats why I said get dignosed and follow excrises because it really seems he wants help if the OP doesn't want help he doesn't have to take my advice and in the end I don't care what he does

• Developer
5 minutes ago, Josonic said:

Diagnosing some one with a mental illness over one comment on an Internet forum. You must have some serious qualifications 

Although I agree we can't make any assumptions as we have no qualification or degree in this area, as a person who has studied OC for a while and that used to suffer a lot with it, what he describes really does seem like OCD. There are various ways OCD can make us behave, and that's one of them. I understand him. Never got to the point of doing what he did, but depending of what I or others did that didn't "click" right in my head, I'd be constantly annoyed by my brain regarding it and would have to do something to "fix" it. Since there's no console to help him fix it, he just deletes it.

I agree that he could, I wasn't suggesting otherwise. It's just highly immoral to diagnose someone over the internet, especially over a brief interaction. He didn't say you could have, he said straight up "you do have OCD" and if OP has an illness that's similar but different than he couid go down a bad path trying to self treat OCD

Archived