• Developer

I saw an idea like this in the past here in the forums, but I don't remember where, and @Fidooop reminded me of this idea the other day.

Wouldn't it be nice if, like with Team Fortress 2, users could make their own skins and the best ones would be voted by the community to enter the game?

Klei could host the contest like, once a month, or once every few months, and the users who had their skins voted into the game could get one copy of their kins in their Steam inventory for free, plus a forum badge for making a skin that got added to the game. The badge could either link to the skin's post/topic or to its market page on Steam.

Not that Klei is in need of artists to make more skins, but because I think this is an awesome way to bring the community together and help them contribute in a somewhat big way to the game!

What does everyone think?

• Developer
Just now, Master Jand said:

But how shall we vote these all?

This could either be done via Steam collections, like Valva does with TF2, or via the forums with polls, like JoeW used to do for the featured mods.

If the former:

Uers would just have to upload the texture of their skin as a mod, so users could choose if they wanted to check them out in-game. Then you simply vote for it directly in its Steam page.

If the latter:

People do the same, but upload their texture to the forums instead of through Steam and make a topic about it. After the "Make your skin!" time ends, JoeW makes a big thread linking to all the uploaded skins (or the ones that were the most popular in the forums) and makes a poll listing the available skin to see which the community likes more.

There could even be random themes, such as "Space collection custom skins" or "Nature collection cutom skins" and things like that.

5 minutes ago, Sudura2017 said:

No... skins shouldn't exist, let alone the community making the most ugly, non-canon "Anime Wendy" skins.

I think it's a pretty safe bet judging by how many likes the guy in the "most frustrating thing people do" thread got for saying 'anime mods' that those would NEVER come to pass.

2 minutes ago, Quyzbuk said:

I think it's a pretty safe bet judging by how many likes the guy in the "most frustrating thing people do" thread got for saying 'anime mods' that those would NEVER come to pass.

And you're telling me the community will make decent skins, in every color, and not just stupid head skins that are totally meaningless?

• Developer

There could be guidelines for skin creation, citing what could and couldn't be done. Also, there should be times where only character sets are allowed, others where only items are allowed, and so on so forth not to always just fill the game with countless sets.

I think this could be a really fun way to get the community invested in the skins that are coming out. I think in terms of fairness it could be cool to be given a template that people would then draw over. Say if the topic was a character skin set, then the devs could release a template image with an outline of each character to help maintain proportions. This would also mean that anybody who isn't comfortable with digital art could easily get involved by printing off the template and tracing over it. The winner would probably have to be redrawn to fit in with the other skins anyway.

I've been itching to draw some Ancient inspired character skins, so I hope this becomes a thing...

Seems legit for me , got my support for this stuff :^)

I got a good idea for that stuff : the devs say a collection name like ehm..

Spoiler

Rose collection

And then players all make a full set for one/every characters or some skins for the items / critters (or both)

Or somethin' like that i dunno

Archived