Please Add Critters to the Wild

On 4/23/2017 at 7:12 AM, PuffinBy said:

Love the idea, except the part where you can kill them for morsels.

You can kill baby beefalo for morsels, you can kill small birds for morsels, you can kill baby doydoys for morsels... It's not worth it to kill any baby mobs when the adult versions drop much more food, so it's not like anyone would kill critters anyways.

On 2017-4-24 at 9:14 PM, JellyUltra said:

You can kill baby beefalo for morsels, you can kill small birds for morsels, you can kill baby doydoys for morsels... It's not worth it to kill any baby mobs when the adult versions drop much more food, so it's not like anyone would kill critters anyways.

It's always been the case, the game can be adorable, but it also be a harsh cut throat world. 

Exactly!

Also, if I was bopping along happily through the jazzy, flower-strewn spring forest and saw little baby kitcoons* following the regular ones around?  I think I would probably squeak in the ultrasonic range.  :D

Also here's an idea:  Maybe the little ones could sometimes copy what the big one does right afterwards, like they're learning!  Big catcoon pounces at a butterfly, and mrrows.  Little catcoon pounces, squeak!  OH MY GOD DEAD OF CUTE.  You better BELIEVE I'd have the F12 button on standby.

Problem, though:  If the varglings follow the big hounds around...well, they only ever show up as hostile mobs attacking you.  I predict a LOT of tragedy for anyone using tooth traps...or are they immune to that even _before_ they actually become a pet? Hmmm...

...Notorious

*Yes, I KNOW they're called kittykits.  They're what I almost always have for my pet.  Kitcoon is a better name, dammit!

4 hours ago, Pyr0mrcow said:

I still feel like the pet taming system needs a rework TBH. The current version just feels shoved into the game.
This would be a good foundation for it. Having them spawn with their kind, then we lure them away or something.

Uhh careful now, that's controversial...

But I totally agree. 

On 26.04.2017 at 5:16 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

Also here's an idea:  Maybe the little ones could sometimes copy what the big one does right afterwards, like they're learning!  Big catcoon pounces at a butterfly, and mrrows.  Little catcoon pounces, squeak!  OH MY GOD DEAD OF CUTE.  You better BELIEVE I'd have the F12 button on standby.

Big hound tears angry Wilson into shreds and consumes his spare meaty stew, little vargling bites helpless Wes on the leg and steals his meatballs! OH MY GOD LITERALLY DEAD.

all jokes aside this would be extremely cute.

Well, in addition to the cuteness, the first OTHER thing I did think of was "Wait, if varglings follow the big hounds they might die...whoopsie."  : P That's the thing with Don't Starve (and real life)--lots of things are both cute AND lethal at the same time.

And yeah, I agree, the whole pet...thing needs work, at the moment a lot of it seems like placeholder to just get the cuteness in, and then we'll sort it out properly later.  The way you get them, the way they don't grow up, the way the traits don't actually DO anything...all of that needs work.  Of course I think the traits should be only minor benefits so it's not overpowered, but still.

As flawed as the canon ones are, though...they don't hold a CANDLE to the messed-up-ness of the singplayer mod-version pets.

Spoiler

jesuscat.png

...when it said that the mod was "Shipwrecked-compatible", I assumed they meant the pets would jump ONTO the boats _with_ you!  XD

So at least there's that.  : P

...Notorious

3 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

As flawed as the canon ones are, though...they don't hold a CANDLE to the messed-up-ness of the singplayer mod-version pets.

Reveal hidden contents

jesuscat.png

...when it said that the mod was "Shipwrecked-compatible", I assumed they meant the pets would jump ONTO the boats _with_ you!  XD

...Notorious

I still like that mod, because after playing DST so much playing singleplayer feels so lonely. Fun, yes, and a lot more possibilities and SW content, but sad and lonely too.

5 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Well, in addition to the cuteness, the first OTHER thing I did think of was "Wait, if varglings follow the big hounds they might die...whoopsie."  : P That's the thing with Don't Starve (and real life)--lots of things are both cute AND lethal at the same time.

And yeah, I agree, the whole pet...thing needs work, at the moment a lot of it seems like placeholder to just get the cuteness in, and then we'll sort it out properly later.  The way you get them, the way they don't grow up, the way the traits don't actually DO anything...all of that needs work.  Of course I think the traits should be only minor benefits so it's not overpowered, but still.

Hide contents

jesuscat.png

...Notorious

Cough* content segregation sucks Cough*

3 hours ago, Palecwsmalec1 said:

I still like that mod, because after playing DST so much playing singleplayer feels so lonely. Fun, yes, and a lot more possibilities and SW content, but sad and lonely too.

Oh yeah.  It's the reason I got the mod myself, too. It still really needs a lot of help--there's no option to pet them, they have no traits, it seems everybody uses Wilson's examine line, and they overall seem to be coded more like an animal kept in your inventory--with both "hungry" and "starving" states.  I like the idea but MAN does the modder need help from somebody who can copy the Klei coding, or something...

And I want a custom animation where the pet jumps onto the boat with you (unless it's a flying one).  C'mon!  How adorable would _that_ be?  (Complicated to do, though.)

Spoiler

kittyinaboat.png

Although I did once get it to _sleep_ in the boat.  :D

And I don't know about integrating ALL the content together...Shipwrecked has a lot of stuff that's pretty freaking evil, and some of the Together stuff wouldn't work well in singleplayer.  But people ARE making mods to bring the two versions a bit closer together, including of course the pet one, the Toadstool, Bee Queen, mushroom farms, writeable signs, meteors, wooden fences and gates, etc.  So hey. 

Needless to say I turned the meteor mod off for Shipwrecked, as that one has ENOUGH firey rocks of death falling from the sky!  : P

...Notorious

18 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

That is the cutest thing I've seen in my entire ******* life. 

:D  I KNOW RIGHT?  I especially love how the cat is curled up in there--it's kind of a combo between the "If I fits, I sits" thing and the way the second you get up?  Your cat will take your spot on the couch.  : P

...Notorious

I had an idea! Maybe you would have to feed them their favorite food to get them to grow! Here's an example: for the Kittykit you would have to feed it fishsticks 10 time's* to get it to grow into it's toddler** phase and then you would have to feed it 20 fishsticks* to get it to an adult catcoon it would act like a regular catcoon except you would not have to keep feeding it so it would stay your pet*** (and friend). and it would be the same system for the others and you could get them to stay in a certain spot so that they wouldn't get killed when you go out to fight something.

And when they grow up they would be a little different from their wild counterparts, for example the Dragonfly would not have as much health (maybe 10,000?) and it wouldn't attack it's owner but it would attack other things (including other players) and would spit lava on stuff like it's DS counterpart. Now on to the gobbler. The gobbler would act like a regular gobbler except it would NOT eat all your berries and it would still run away from all players except for you. Now on to the hound. The hound would act like a regular hound except it would not attack players unless they attack it or its owner and it would not attack something (besides a bird or rabbit) without its owner attacking the thing first. Now on to the ewecus. The ewecus would grow up a healthy creature that would act like an actual sheep and wouldn't attack anything even if provoked, but if you want to be a terrible person you can feed them phlegm to make them sick, grumpy, and miserable. And then they will attack anything that attacks it or its owner and any player that gets to close. And glommer would act the exact same way as always once you go to get it it's very own glommer flower. Until then it will just follow the original glommer.  

And now on to another idea. I thought of an idea for having multiple pets: if the pets are certain kinds that normally wouldn't get along they will have to grow up together to be friends, I would go like this: the catcoon would get along fine with hounds, gobbler's, dragonflys, and glommer, but only if they knew each other when they were baby's. The hound would get along fine with catcoons, and ewecus', but only as long as they grew up together. The dragonfly will attack any creature that it didn't grow up with. The gobbler, glommer, and healthy ewecus, would not attack anything EVER, but when the ewecus is sick it will attack anything that it didn't grow up with. Also! There would be a new item: cold medicine. it would be used to cure a ewecus, but sadly the wild ewecus won't take it. 

I also came up with an idea for wild broodlings: at the beginning of winter the Dragonfly would spawn a few lavae and they would act like regular lavae but when their life timer runs out instead of dieing they will freeze and turn into chilled lavae which will turn into hostile broodlings when spring comes. But these can't be tamed, so you still have kill the dragonfly to get the broodling.

*over a certain amount of time of course

**or maybe juvenile or teen?

***but don't think you can starve it and it will stay, It does say it's clever after all.

P.S. this took me hours to write.

On 2017-5-4 at 3:54 AM, Xedlord said:

I had an idea! Maybe you would have to feed them their favorite food to get them to grow! Here's an example: for the Kittykit you would have to feed it fishsticks 10 time's* to get it to grow into it's toddler

I feel like it should be more a time thing (like a smallbird). It's pretty easy to get fishsticks and grow it one day. Instead, I would prefer that you get to raise the pet, keeping it safe as they days or seasons go by, until it's adult.

you could get them to stay in a certain spot so that they wouldn't get killed when you go out to fight something.

Yeah, if they stop being immortal, then that´s a must. None of this teleporting nonsense that´s going on with Smallbird.

And when they grow up they would be a little different from their wild counterparts, for example the Dragonfly would not have as much health (maybe 10,000?) and it wouldn't attack it's owner but it would attack other things (including other players) and would spit lava on stuff like it's DS counterpart. Now on to the gobbler. The gobbler would act like a regular gobbler except it would NOT eat all your berries and it would still run away from all players except for you.

I like this. I would say though that it would a smaller version of the Dragonfly (and say that Dragonfly by the lava pools is hundreds of years old, making it bigger) and that the health would be more around 3000? 

I know people are gonna say that the Dragonfly would be OP, but I think the fact that you really need to work to get it (i.e kill the Dragonfly, get lucky to get an egg, hatch the egg and then raise the Dragonfly) compensates for that. On PVP servers it would be very rare to see someone having succeed in doing that whole process, as these servers are usually not very long lasted. For PVE servers, with the health I said, any giant would still crash the Dragonfly easily. 

However, I would like maybe that the Dragonfly wasn´t completely loyal and was sometimes rebellious in very dangerous way. Kinda of a Game of Thrones relationship. Not sure how this would work out.

The hound would act like a regular hound except it would not attack players unless they attack it or its owner and it would not attack something (besides a bird or rabbit) without its owner attacking the thing first.

I definitely think the hound should behave like your dog. 

Maybe, an interesting mechanic could be, that say you find an item on the floor. You can give that to the hound and it will pick up the scent, and then track down the player who last touched it. 

btw it's stuff like this, that makes me think that the current pets are such a waste. 

ow on to the ewecus. The ewecus would grow up a healthy creature that would act like an actual sheep and wouldn't attack anything even if provoked, but if you want to be a terrible person you can feed them phlegm to make them sick, grumpy, and miserable. And then they will attack anything that attacks it or its owner and any player that gets to close. 

I did have an idea for this, with introducing Winnie, but that would derail the threat a little I think. 

And glommer would act the exact same way as always once you go to get it it's very own glommer flower. Until then it will just follow the original glommer.  

I think it would be really healthy for the game to allow for multiple personal glommers to exist on a server. Stops people fighting over who gets to keep him.

I also came up with an idea for wild broodlings: at the beginning of winter the Dragonfly would spawn a few lavae and they would act like regular lavae but when their life timer runs out instead of dieing they will freeze and turn into chilled lavae which will turn into hostile broodlings when spring comes. But these can't be tamed, so you still have kill the dragonfly to get the broodling.

I like this.

P.S. this took me hours to write.

Sorry, it took so long to get back to you. There was a lot to talk about!

Archived