I, like so many others, miss our old Maxwell Lights, being removed while other adventure mode leftovers still remain in DST, albeit largely unused. With A New Reign having introduced so much new content, I feel it would be a good opportunity to reboot / retool these, although with their own special ANR twist.

Charlie Lights would be essentially Maxwell Lights, except with the added conflict that we see within the Shadow Queen right now. High sanity would cause it to emit a light when approached, whilst low sanity will cause it to deactivate and turn off, even for high sanity players standing near it (think of it as a more malevolent version of how Willow's Bernie currently works in game).

For simplicity's sake, this would be the only change right now, though as you can imagine there are plenty of variations and other little caveats that could be added to such a thing (negative sanity aura when at the threshold to deactivate it for example). I'm sure you probably are brainstorming some as you read this.

Implementation would perhaps be the trickiest part, these should probably not be craftable, but how otherwise would they be added outside of console commands?

On the one hand I was thinking they would be added to cave generation in the labyrinth / Ancient Fuelweaver areas, but that wouldn't be terribly useful or practical would it?

Could it be a retrofitted and/or new setpiece that could show up above or below ground instead? Maybe.

Manual assembly similar to the marble clockworks seems like it would be one of the better ways to possibly put a few of these in each world since the coding already exists for such a task. Haul a piece to the desired location, and then start "repairing" it like fossil skeletons bringing other pieces to create the finished product. The pieces would be heavy and force you to drop your backpack and such just like the current marble pieces do to prevent this from becoming trivial or menial.

It probably might be a little daunting to not overcomplicate adding/re-adding such a thing, but hopefully some of these ideas could get the ball rolling for it.

13 minutes ago, Angibot said:

The sanity stuff like for obelisk seems pretty hard to do since a player full sanity & one mad can stay both near.. What will happens?

The one condition will overwrite the other, much like it already does. In this particular case, the insane one would overwrite the fully sane one, thus deactivating the light.

Archived