[Mod idea] Make the lazy deserter useful for 2 players servers

2 hours ago, Serpens said:

Are you able to create "gif" animations? That would be cool :)

Oh yes I can! Will try to either make gifs or a video for description since simple screenshots won't help too much.

I am going to be more busy than usual these next few days, and I'll most likely have time on Friday evening for one last testing (with the different mod settings) and for the steam descriptions and gifs. :)

3 hours ago, t1morino88eex said:

Oh yes I can! Will try to either make gifs or a video for description since simple screenshots won't help too much.

If you feel like explaining how to make a video for a mod, i would like it. I would like to make one for a future mod but i never did it and don't even know what tool i should use. Even some tips could be helpful, if you have free time and want to do it. :)

On 4/26/2017 at 5:44 PM, Serpens said:

screenshots and description and we can upload it :)

Description:

This mod rethinks The Lazy Deserter and makes it more useful for two players and solo players worlds.

Now you just need to activate a Lazy Deserter in the world and it will remain active. If you'll right click any other Lazy Deserters that you built you will get teleported to the one that is always active.

Every Lazy Deserter will now have a fueling limit the same as the flingomatic, while it stays active it will consume fuel. In order to see remaining fuel of a Lazy Deserter you can inspect the structure and it will show percentage left.

In case you are far away from the activated Lazy Deserter you can deactivate it by giving a Desert Stone to any other Lazy Deserter around the world.

The mod contains plenty of settings: 

• Fuel type: change what kind of fuel you can use for the Lazy Deserters
  • Fuel value: change the fuel value for the fuel type you selected
  • Max fuel: how many days does one fully fueled Lazy Deserter last
  • Insanity aura: change the size and strength of the sanity aura around active Lazy Deserters
  • Stone Teleporter: enable or disable the ability to right click a Desert Stone from your inventory to teleport to a Lazy Deserter
  • Stop sound: make it so that the channeling sound stops 5 seconds after activating a Lazy Deserter

Gif:

Well I managed to do a gif but it's too big (~500 MBs) and I cannot reduce it's size with any tool. So I saved a short video and uploaded it on youtube, and I think youtube videos can be used as screenshots in the workshop. :) Also I think it's possible to do gifs from videos and they might turn out in a smaller size but I am not aware of how to do that exactly.

@Lumina the way I made the video/gif was to have the game in window mode and use a tool called ScreenToGif with which I selected a part of my screen to record and saved it as a video file.

@Serpens would you like me to do an image or something for the steam workshop mod icon? Or you can use the one I already sent last time (the one from modicon.tex)?

Edited by t1morino88eex

I will use the modicon as image for steam, yes :)
thank you for the video :)

Two last things before uploading:
1) Maybe the title of the mod could be "Fueled Lazy Deserter" instead of "better"? I mean "better" is relative, so I thought fueled might fit better, to what it actually does. What do you think?
2) At the moment only the LD where you can teleport to has the insanity aura. Should also all others have it?

Edited by Serpens

Would be nice if the title show that the Lazy Deserter works for one player. Because it's one of the best reason to have the mod and i'm not sure players will understand that "fueled" do this. But i don't have a better title to suggest.

1 hour ago, t1morino88eex said:

the way I made the video/gif was to have the game in window mode and use a tool called ScreenToGif with which I selected a part of my screen to record and saved it as a video file.

Edited by Lumina

1) I agree with you, I think Fueled Lazy Deserter sounds better and depicts the major change that is done with the mod. I updated the youtube video title to reflect that.

2) I believe it would be ok to put the insanity aura to all the other lazy deserters if active. :)

5 minutes ago, Lumina said:

Would be nice if the title show that the Lazy Deserter works for one player. Because it's one of the best reason to have the mod and i'm not sure players will understand that "fueled" do this. But i don't have a better title to suggest.

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually made sure to include the mod description in the youtube video descriptions as well.

Edited by t1morino88eex

2 hours ago, Lumina said:

Yeah, it's very great when a modder takes time to make an entire mod for someone else like this. :)

I made it because I also find it useful and will use it always (cause I also mostly play in twos and would like to be able to telport to base, even if no one else is there) :)

12 hours ago, Serpens said:

I just thought someone copied my mod, but luckily it is just another way to achieve the mod idea.
Since it is quite interesting and a alternative to fuel, I will link it here (personally I prefer fuel over sanity):
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=917178229

LoL i had the same idea that he copyd urs because it was popping up like same or 1~2 days after u realesed urs. But then saw he done it differently wnated to link it to u, but was to lazy to search ur steam profile out :^)

LiketheShore&theSea (steam workshop)

Would you be willing to make a Lazy Deserter mod where Desert Stones are the commodity instead of nightmare fuel?

Where you can use a Desert Stone(s) (and whatever else is deemed necessary in the crafting recipe) to create a new item which acts as a key 'blank' that you can 'cut' by using it on a particular LD to associate it with that LD destination, permanently, for a one time use.

Use the crafted key blank on the LD u desire to return to, and have it become a new item permanently tied to that LD. Even if dropped and picked up again or used by another player it would still return said player to said LD. Have it break on use (whether the LD exists and the teleport occurs or if the LD has been destroyed and no longer exists and the teleport fails, with ingame text stating the LD no longer exists, if possible).

Inventory space is precious. It'd be expensive enuf for each key to require one inventory slot on its own and not stack with other keys, even keys for the same LD destination.

Perhaps make the ability for other players to use your created keys configurable, so if you want to avoid players looting your corpse, and using the key to find your super-secret hidden base that way, you can. :p

I can add Desert Stones as fuel, yes.
The key idea is quite complicated and also complicated to code... but I see no real advantage, so I think it is unlikely I will do this.

edit:
About adding DesertStones as fuel:
At the moment they do act as a way to deactivate the active LD. I'm not familiar on how to add a rightclick-action. That's why I used the DesertStone to trigger the "deactivate" action.
If you can help to add a rightclick action for the LD to deactivate it, I can add Stones as fuel.

Edited by Serpens