Overall Suggestions

Hi Everyone, I just joined but I have been playing ONI and I have came up with a number of different points I'd like to address and just ideas to add in there. The way this message goes will probably be rather long due to the fact that if I like something I will rant on it, and since this game is still in Development and I'm currently trying to learn how to come up with storyboards and world design in Gaming, I thought I might throw some ideas out there. 

1.  There needs to be a fix with the stress in the game, it escalates way to quickly and is astoundingly difficult to lower, maybe add new items to lower the stress or make it build up at a slower rate....make sleeping lower stress....SOMETHING!!! I've been playing for nearly a week and after cycle 3 I can't lower the stress without setting them to do practically nothing.
  2. You need to balance the food/ oxygen outputs. I have made a small, medium, and large farming area but it take roughly 4 to 5 people to ALMOST maintain it....and they stay so busy working the farms that they can't make time barely to dig or research anything. I've made it to cycle 25 with only 4 people and this is still an issue, I've tried to get more people and had up to 8 or 9 but then the food runs out at an alarming rate, maybe make the food output higher, or make the people (duplicates) consume less calories? The part of Oxygen is understandable in that you have to keep that a near constant working, but between the food and Oxygen generation you can't really make much more progress after a certain point!
  3. There needs to be more things you can research and build. Maybe get chess tables or something to lower stress, or some other things like things you can have as pets to lower stress? There's a number of possibilities you can add, so keep that in mind, it'd be more fun if we could add new things.....one idea, is if you can make the game in a state that over time things actually run somewhat smoothly without panic of death every 5 minutes, have the ability to perform research to make bowling allies, skating rings, disco clubs, it'd be entertaining to see the people (duplicates) dancing in a disco room or skating around and falling on their faces.
  4. Adding new seeds to grow or maybe making some livestock would be interesting, the Puffs are sort of livestock, but only help with Oxygen output (if you do things right) But having animals that breed rapidly enough to kill 2 or 3 every 5 or 6 cycles would be cool, or having one you can get milk from? You could even make it to where some clothing options require those reeds and then wool or something. That's another idea, add new cloths.
  5. Make the characters customize-able, for example, make a barber shop or something, and make it so that you can decide skin tones, hair colors and styles, and gender....one thing that is slightly upsetting at times is when I can't make a character that looks like me or my Fiance' (That's a weird quirk I have when playing games like this, I enjoy making people I know characters.) and also adding some new features to the characters, like longer hair on guys, and different style for them to wear it (examples: Ponytails, pigtails, long hair on guys, Mohawks, dreadlocks, etc.)
  6. There seems to be a problem with the priority set up. I've had things set to priority 9 and things at priority 7 and 8 being put 1st at all times......this is annoying a HELL to be honest because it does make it multiple times more difficult to get the things you think need done to actually get done. I've set everything to a priority 1 and then set only what I want done Immediately to a Lv 9....and they still did Lv. 1 things 1st :mad: That needs to be tinkered with and fixed ASAP.
  7. This ties in to the last part I posted, The Jobs setting for the people don't really work.....like, at all. I tried to set 3 of my 6 people to work ONLY on sweeping and harvesting but I still got them doing 1000 other things, and I removed those tasks from the other 3 and they kept doing the jobs I said NOT to do -_- This is also very irritating and needs fixed, also, I'd make "Watering/Fertilizing" a separate job(s) from the others due to the fact that "Delivery" makes people do things like watering algae and plants as well as fertilizing plants.

That about sums up all that I've noticed or came up with thus far, aside from the water falling looks weird at times and the temperature functions act up from time to time. But if you can focus on the outrageous stress build-up, balance out the calories vrs food production, and make the Oxygen a smidgen more easy to deal with....the game would be incredible as is, adding new animals, clothes, customization, or researching and such would only make this game as amazing as it is VERY capable of being. (Ps. Sorry about the spoilers things -_- .....my cat stepped on my mouse.)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Vayne Duskwood said:

There needs to be a fix with the stress in the game, it escalates way to quickly and is astoundingly difficult to lower, maybe add new items to lower the stress or make it build up at a slower rate....make sleeping lower stress....SOMETHING!!! I've been playing for nearly a week and after cycle 3 I can't lower the stress without setting them to do practically nothing.

Build massage table and assign the dupe with the highest stress to it.
To keep stress down make sure they don't walk through polluted water, mopping helps.

You need to balance the food/ oxygen outputs. I have made a small, medium, and large farming area but it take roughly 4 to 5 people to ALMOST maintain it....and they stay so busy working the farms that they can't make time barely to dig or research anything. I've made it to cycle 25 with only 4 people and this is still an issue, I've tried to get more people and had up to 8 or 9 but then the food runs out at an alarming rate, maybe make the food output higher, or make the people (duplicates) consume less calories? The part of Oxygen is understandable in that you have to keep that a near constant working, but between the food and Oxygen generation you can't really make much more progress after a certain point!

Research planter boxes first (easy to be done at cycle 5) and setup as many as you find mealwood and blossom seeds (priority on the latter as they drop more seeds when being eaten) and you won't run out of food.

There seems to be a problem with the priority set up. I've had things set to priority 9 and things at priority 7 and 8 being put 1st at all times......this is annoying a HELL to be honest because it does make it multiple times more difficult to get the things you think need done to actually get done. I've set everything to a priority 1 and then set only what I want done Immediately to a Lv 9....and they still did Lv. 1 things 1st :mad: That needs to be tinkered with and fixed ASAP.

Make sure that the higher priority jobs are actually accessible to the duplicants and have their prerequisites filled (like having the needed materials on stock).

15 hours ago, Vayne Duskwood said:

There needs to be a fix with the stress in the game, it escalates way to quickly and is astoundingly difficult to lower, maybe add new items to lower the stress or make it build up at a slower rate....make sleeping lower stress....SOMETHING!!! I've been playing for nearly a week and after cycle 3 I can't lower the stress without setting them to do practically nothing.

Decor. Send one dupe making statues and painting paintings, make him master his art and you will have zero stress in no time. Put paintings and statues around places where dupes spend time - beds, mess tables, showers, lavatories, storage containers - and you will be at 0% stress almost constantly.

Another thing is sweeping. Make sure it's clean around these places.

Before you get there, massage tables.

With sweeping and decor, stress is such a non-issue that I actually think it should be made a bit harder. Maybe the artist dupe should take longer time to master or something.

You need to balance the food/ oxygen outputs. I have made a small, medium, and large farming area but it take roughly 4 to 5 people to ALMOST maintain it....and they stay so busy working the farms that they can't make time barely to dig or research anything. I've made it to cycle 25 with only 4 people and this is still an issue, I've tried to get more people and had up to 8 or 9 but then the food runs out at an alarming rate, maybe make the food output higher, or make the people (duplicates) consume less calories?

Use mealwood at the beginning, then keep switching to bristle berries as these are the sustainable food source. If you have about four per dupe, you almost don't need to care about them, they'll harvest themselves when they're ripe enough and dupes will just pick the food from the ground when they're hungry. You only need to select some harvests if you get to food shortage state by chance. The only concern is keeping suitable temperature. And you need a source of fertilizer but running sufficient amount of fertilizer makers to process your lavatory and shower output covers your fertilizer needs with reserve.

There needs to be more things you can research and build.

I'm certain there will be. Research period is way too easy and short at present, but the game is alpha.

Make the characters customize-able

Not a bad idea, haircuts/hair color and default clothing changes would be nice. Regarding gender, I prefer dupes the way they are. And I don't think skin color needs to be changeable.

There seems to be a problem with the priority set up. I've had things set to priority 9 and things at priority 7 and 8 being put 1st at all times......this is annoying a HELL to be honest because it does make it multiple times more difficult to get the things you think need done to actually get done. I've set everything to a priority 1 and then set only what I want done Immediately to a Lv 9....and they still did Lv. 1 things 1st :mad: That needs to be tinkered with and fixed ASAP.

The game gives some tasks a priority lift, for example fertilizing plants appears to get a +3 modifier over priority of the plant. It might be either artifact from times when there weren't priority settings, or devs added that on purpose to prevent dupes neglecting their lives while performing tasks of different priority. In any case, the game is still in Alpha and a lot is up to tweaking.

I'd make "Watering/Fertilizing" a separate job(s)

I'd call it 'farming' but yeah, that's a good idea. Or maybe the chunks of water/fertilizer dupes will deliver could be made customizable, similarly to how there's setting for how much they eat.

Regarding stress, I don't know what you did to have serious stress problems as early as cycle 3. I found when I was new I started having serious stress problems more like cycle 15-20. And the solution to that is to have plenty of paintings and dupes with low decor expectation. Plus make sure to sweep, because litter is ugly.

Regarding food, I don't think I know what you mean. The challenge with food is getting enough mealwood planted to survive when your field rations run out, and then getting your bristle blossoms (1.5-2 of them per dupe if you are actively harvesting) started before you run out of meal lice. I don't find food production to be particularly time-consuming.

Regarding oxygen, it's tough the first time around but it's really like clockwork. Build your deoxydizer, research Farming and Decor, get food and decor set up, then grab Percolation to get electrolysis started. By about cycle 30-40 everything should be pretty much stable.

2 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Decor. Send one dupe making statues and painting paintings, make him master his art and you will have zero stress in no time. Put paintings and statues around places where dupes spend time - beds, mess tables, showers, lavatories, storage containers - and you will be at 0% stress almost constantly.

- I've not really focus much on decor since it required the research for it and I didn't think it would have matter THAT much. Though I have these things set up to be made so who knows.

Another thing is sweeping. Make sure it's clean around these places.

Before you get there, massage tables.

With sweeping and decor, stress is such a non-issue that I actually think it should be made a bit harder. Maybe the artist dupe should take longer time to master or something.

-Sweeping is important to me in game just because of my OCD, but it takes forever to complete. 

Use mealwood at the beginning, then keep switching to bristle berries as these are the sustainable food source. If you have about four per dupe, you almost don't need to care about them, they'll harvest themselves when they're ripe enough and dupes will just pick the food from the ground when they're hungry. You only need to select some harvests if you get to food shortage state by chance. The only concern is keeping suitable temperature. And you need a source of fertilizer but running sufficient amount of fertilizer makers to process your lavatory and shower output covers your fertilizer needs with reserve.

-I make like 8 or 9 planters on each side, but only like 5 to 8 total are planted with bristle berries, this seems like it's alright in keeping food up kept, but i'm not sure

Not a bad idea, haircuts/hair color and default clothing changes would be nice. Regarding gender, I prefer dupes the way they are. And I don't think skin color needs to be changeable.

-With the skin color, that would be only for choosing the 1st 3, I feel as though you should be able to make them look exactly how you want 

Archived