The Noodle cooled Base

The Noodling 1D2F60A42B8000AE3E040C906B93A03FB522EA3Bis real. 

and gets worse.576B108D30D88A6608B23AB98755A8646EB2C484. There is a catch though . it takes forever to fill and I have been slowly adding to the hydrogen and the overall noodle .

974AF8A41F55789BDF3B5C355A3AE600C929927Athe climate is really easy to control . I got lucky with being surrounded on 70% by large ice biomes.

there is not a single coal generator on the map loads of wheels and 3 separate hydrogen generators to take the edge off. 439AE9D3E8DE3FBCE50548D9845B2312C2ECDBC865EF7E62423461A489EBAB954F7503141E9A3EF697B3724D70EA47C54C417E629A6BC4C7AB20B397

iv never supported the small loop style bathrooms and showers iv always found it waist full in the energy and management department. using fresh water to make contaminated water to convert to fertilizer is only eating at your fresh water supply and should only be used sparingly you have loads of other ways to get contaminated water so why burn through your sand fast trying to re use your fresh water.

I only have 3 water pumps running 1 for clean one for cold and one for hot the clean water pump only has to top off the line the cold keeps the needed areas cool and the hot runs through the cold to cool it before re entering my base.

I am not having the thermal issues with cooling and heating others complain about I use appropriate materials for the appropriate pipes and tiles.

the hydrogen room  needs little explanation it keeps it self at -60 less warts and size would probably work but I went for overkill. it has one pump for pushing cold I know there is a way to loop it so I don't need the pump but I'm not using glitches when my energy costs are already so low just no point. I did not build or fill it all at once and each cluster of coils has been added with expansion and I leave myself options for the future when I'm building.

the air supply is set up to be overkill they rarely actually pump for more than a few seconds each I'm winning the air pressure battle not loosing it at max pressure  its easy to stay that way and massively reduces the energy and resource requirements on airlocks. most time its an out leak not an in leak.

There's a catch - liquid or gas will not change temperature while it's flowing through the pipe. You can make it even closed loop propelled by a valve or a bridge and it will keep pulling your base towards average temperature of whatever you used to fill the pipe with.

I use similar system too, though. Less dense, mostly it's just pipes going through ladders and floors and even that is plenty. And I can add pipes through it if I need to send some gas/liquid from somewhere to somewhere else.

actually I'm using the hydrogen for effectively cooling and it is transferring the heat to everything else it is keeping batteries at -40 and helping cool the septic tanks that I m using for greenhouse cooling. the air and tiles around the pipes do react to the contents of the pipes. all of it is built in granite or abyssalt.

I am intentionally NOT using the loop glitch as its cheep enough considering its cooling about 7 structures including cooling excess chlorine and carbon to liquid and solid.

I'm not using the pipes to heat gas yet and I already know how to do it and it involves thermal switching and leaving loaded gas pips to sit still in high heat areas that will release when the switch activates the filter that is holding the line.

the temperature resets on loop systems as the data packet hits its start point again, and I'm not looping closed circuits

and I think you may not be getting a visible heat exchange because of the lack of density in the radiator

and I added a second gas pump in the wheezeroom it doubled the cooling capacity of the radiators before the pipes had an average of about 300g at -60 now they are at 600g at -60

26 minutes ago, heckubis said:

8CFB7463E849C3DD7B6AC6C6225081B811724C68

I had similar thing to store CO2 and chlorine but I didn't like the CO2 tile buildup (got exactly what you have) so I swapped it for a machine that stores it as a gas in sealed room and runs a scrubber inside the room every time it gets over pressure. Had quite some fun designing it, too. Here's an older version, the room is now bigger to make the scrubber more efficient.

I also tried keeping the CO2 in liquid state but it has such a small temperature range that it was too hard to handle. And since there's a way to get rid of it completely, I went for that.

yah I'm thinking of just re attaching a door to the carbon room and going in and digging it up once and a while about the only glitch I use is the surface door access for making vacuum rooms. or throwing in a light might just be enough heat to it the liquid side

1 hour ago, heckubis said:

about the only glitch I use is the surface door access for making vacuum rooms

Personally I consider air conditioning with pipes glitching even if it's not a closed loop because the packet in the pipe won't change its temperature until it's dumped out of the pipe again. But I consider glitching fair game too since ONI is a single player so the only cheating is what you consider cheating and the pipe heat exchange will certainly get fixed in the future.

On the other hand, I consider closed loop propelling fair game because I believe this will not be changed, it's an artifact of how the piping system is implemented.

I wouldn't much call what I have as being gliched  mechanics I have the hydrogen room set up to re cool and they don't lose temp because there never in that spot for long where as the tiles are not moving so every time its getting colder and transfer more and more heat. the time it takes for thermal transaction to the pipe would be the same its just that the contents are constantly being updated, producing a lot less cooling to the contents of the pipe. if you slow down the pipe or stop it in the area thermal conduction works normally.

yah after building the setup I had intended and some other tests I'm forced to agree with Kasuha on the problem with heating gases or liquids in the pipes

EC87857AD416F076713FF9CDDC294ABFE4652EE2

the cycler should be allowing gas to heat up being set to stalled flowing or slow it resets as it moves the cycler it self functions exactly like I thought it would other than that so I'm going to switch it out to a steam cooler and dump my water into the Phosphorus area. at least it wont take too many adjustment to convert the function .

on a side note this build when turned off although no longer gains pressure is fully using the free motion glitch

Would a polluted water noodle work better than hydrogen gas? The coolant won't be quite as cold, but it'll be far more dense. When I've tried cooling with gas, I haven't been able to get more than 1kg or so into each segment of pipe. PH2O can do 10kg per segment. If your target temperature is above zero, 10kg of coolant at -15C should get you there way faster than 1kg at -60C.

I haven't run gas and liquid noodles in side-by-side tests. (That's a fun project for debug mode. Maybe I'll test it soon.) But I tried a gas noodle (O2 at around -40C or -50C?) and found it to be generally ineffective. In a later attempt I got great results with a PH2O noodle at -18C. That's not conclusive because my technique improved in many ways between those attempts. But it's suggestive, at least.

part of the math comes from the density of the gas in the pipes mine are running about an average of 600g.

yes polluted water works for cooling( the second image from the top shows m using it) but only to about -28 before freezing hydrogen you can bring down to less than 200 and still not liquefy it

I m using polluted water to cool my green houses and have 2 separate cooling tanks just for that purpose. you can even add a stretch of cold radiators and attach a fertilizer machine directly along it with the use of a pipe bridge to maintain flow strength along the pipes. if your running it at about -4c you have a refrigerated green house with its own fert production in room

yes polluted water works for cooling( the second image from the top shows m using it) but only to about -28 before freezing hydrogen you can bring down to less than 200 and still not liquefy it

Right. And if your target temperature is below -28C, then PH2O can't get you there. You have to use something colder.

However, if your target temperature is far above -28C, you've got far better options.

Cooling power is indeed a property of temperature differential. But it's also a property of mass and specific heat.

You can fit 10,000g of cold water into a segment of pipe, and you'll struggle to pack 600g of gas into that same volume. The water has (should have, I don't have precise figures to hand) a far greater heat capacity per unit mass. And it's got something like 16 times the density. If you're trying to cool something down to, say, 15C, 10kg of water at -15C will get you there way faster than 600g of gas at -200C. (It's also far easier and safer to handle.)

Consider, for instance, a real-world example: If you put your hand in water at 80C you'll get uncomfortable burns in under a second. At 95C you'll suffer instant burns. But you can reach your arms into an oven with air temps of 180C without injury. Though the 80C water is much cooler than the 180C air, it's much denser and has a much higher specific heat, so the heat transfer is far greater.

yah you still missed the point some resources are better spent elsewhere . and the things I'm cooling with the hydrogen like the co2 and chlorine would never work with water no mater how much volume you have

I'm also using the hydrogen to cool the water that I use to cool other things

Archived