Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EsaiXD

wolfgang rebalance

14 posts in this topic

From what i can see wolfgang is all perks with no real downsides so why not give him a downside that sort of applies to his character in the game.

currently the only downside wolfgang has is a higher sanity drain from monsters and darkness which in reality isnt even a downside as he can just kill the sanity monsters in 3 or 4 hits  so why not make sanity affect him differently as how willow is affected with her freeze effect.

lets make wolfgang  actually scared of monsters. How this would work  is when his sanity gets lowers he begins to miss when fighting (probably like how weapon slips work when you are wet). this makes his downside of higher sanity loss even more prevalent has wolfgang would have to keep sane to really fight anything and cant just be a all powerful being that doesn't even need to care about his sanity.

I only suggested this cause really sanity is not a factor  to a lot of median to high level players and this reason is why Wolfgang is pretty much the best solo character. This should make him a little more balanced

got 2 suggestions of how this would work

a max of 10 percent chance of weapon slipping at 0 sanity  and it ranges from 100 to 0

30percent at 0 sanity  and  0 percent at 100 sanity scaling as he goes insane

Edited by EsaiXD
2 people like this

Seems fine to me in PvE terms in case if Wolfgang wont have the stun time when he drops his weapon :>

Might as well make it depend on insanity aura that is applied to Wolfgang(starting with like 10 sanity/minute). Like make him drop weapon if he's hitting scary things, rather then players/butterflies/whatever else. Otherwise it would be too annoying.

18 minutes ago, SandvichSpy said:

You forgot higher hunger loss.

Lower than normal in Wimpy. It's more an upside than anything - Stay in Wimpy then bulk up for a fight. It balances out, if not using a lot less food than a normal Wilson

Sanity is a non issue, you can keep it up at any time during important fights with bundles of green caps or cactus flesh. Maybe instead of him dropping his weapon, he could freeze in fear for a second when near monsters with insanity aura, and have the same percent chance scale based on sanity level that you suggested. When frozen in fear, he can't craft, move, or access inventory. Similar to mind control, but with shorter duration. That would make staying insane more dangerous, especially if you're caught in the dark.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Sudura2017 said:

Lower than normal in Wimpy. It's more an upside than anything - Stay in Wimpy then bulk up for a fight. It balances out, if not using a lot less food than a normal Wilson

As miniscule of a downside it's still a downside. But id rather stay mighty all the time for the extra speed since food shouldn't be a problem once you reach mid-late game.

Edited by SandvichSpy

20 hours ago, SandvichSpy said:

As miniscule of a downside it's still a downside. But id rather stay mighty all the time for the extra speed since food shouldn't be a problem once you reach mid-late game.

which is why the downside is pretty much non existant even to mid level players. this is the reason why i wanted to have some brainstorming to make wolfgang a more interesting character other than just hunger management

Wolfgang is already a balanced and interesting character to play. It's just that most other characters are underpowered and have either boring or poorly-implemented mechanics.

In my opinion, Wolfgang should be the basis for balance. Not Wickerbottom, not Wigfrid, and definitely not Wilson.

11 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

Wolfgang is already a balanced and interesting character to play. It's just that most other characters are underpowered and have either boring or poorly-implemented mechanics.

In my opinion, Wolfgang should be the basis for balance. Not Wickerbottom, not Wigfrid, and definitely not Wilson.

Imo things should be balanced around Wes. I find him perfectly fine in terms of boss-killing(all apart from the toad, since he is pretty fat; and queen since she's a disgusting abomination). Wolfgang is a little too strong in basic pve content. He has no troubles of killing non-raid bosses whatsoever(well, Goose fight feels fine though), while Wes has long fights that bring alot more fun. Especially the antlion fight.

Though currently its not the characters that require rebalancing and looking into...

7 minutes ago, Diaboliko said:

Though currently its not the characters that require rebalancing and looking into...

Have you seen Willow?

7 hours ago, Diaboliko said:

to things should be balaced around Wes. I fitediouperfectly fine in twithou boss-killing(all apart from the toad, since he is pretty fat; and queen since she's a disgusting abomination). Wolfgang is a little too strong in basic pve content. He has no troubles of killing non-raid bosses whatsoever(well, Goose fight feels fine though), while Wes has long fights that bring alot more fun. Especially the antlion fight.

Wolfgang means I get to hold F for a shorter period of time, which lets me do more things in my game other than staring at the screen and doing nothing but mashing the F key.

2 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

Wolfgang means I get to hold F for a shorter period of time, which lets me do more things in my game other than staring at the screen and doing nothing but mashing the F key.

It also means that hound attack becomes weaker, as well as any time-based fights like the one with antlion.

On 4/20/2017 at 11:40 PM, JohnWatson said:

wolfgang is still keeping his strength  but he needs more disadvantages to warrant that strength  the best character shouldnt be the 1 used to be marked for balance which is why wilson is considered the neutral party  no downsides and decent strength. 

wolfgangs downside of higher sanity loss is completely thrown away  due to the fact that he can deal with it so easily  so that is why im suggesting sanity  play a bigger role to our muscly scardy cat  since sanity is supposed to be his downside

Edited by EsaiXD

8 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

wolfgang is still keeping his strength  but he needs more disadvantages to warrant that strength  the best character shouldnt be the 1 used to be marked for balance which is why wilson is considered the neutral party  no downsides and decent strength. 

Wolfgang isn't the best character. And if you honestly think that Wilson is the neutral middle-ground character, then you are clearly trying to balance merely around character stats, not around the game in its entirely. Wilson may look like the middle-ground when it comes to stats, but when you factor in the entire game and all other characters, he is undoubtedly one of the worst characters.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that Wilson is not balanced and therefore should not be the basis for balance.

8 hours ago, EsaiXD said:

wolfgangs downside of higher sanity loss is completely thrown away  due to the fact that he can deal with it so easily  so that is why im suggesting sanity  play a bigger role to our muscly scardy cat  since sanity is supposed to be his downside

I could agree with this, but I believe the 'Gameplay > Lore' rule. I would still be fine with standard nerfs to his sanity if it doesn't affect his fighting ability. It's not like sanity nerfs matter anyway.

1 person likes this