Steam Killer - Tencent/WeGame Featuring DST

the "Tencent" issue back with the Roseate skins...  huge "issue" regarding it being unfair... most people thinking tencent was a knockoff of steam, some citing that it's a big thing, DST and Klei partnering up early on with Tencent, back then thought to be a bad thing.

Hoping this should give more info about it... hey, DST was featured as one of the first steam games to cross to tencent... good job in being a pioneer... I guess...

4 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

the "Tencent" issue back with the Roseate skins...  huge "issue" regarding it being unfair... most people thinking tencent was a knockoff of steam, some citing that it's a big thing, DST and Klei partnering up early on with Tencent, back then thought to be a bad thing.

Hoping this should give more info about it... hey, DST was featured as one of the first steam games to cross to tencent... good job in being a pioneer... I guess...

profit i guess, devs gotta eat some way. :>

Just now, jantonio said:

profit i guess, devs gotta eat some way. :>

Good for them having the foresight... I wonder HOW Klei does what it does <_<

well they're mostly comprised of very experienced, mature,  and intelligent people... who would doubt it...

Just now, Asparagus said:

Good for them having the foresight... I wonder HOW Klei does what it does <_<

well they're mostly comprised of very experienced, mature,  and intelligent people... who would doubt it...

They work in canada.......what else is there to say ;>. my guess is they are using there magic potato cup to get insight on the future XD.

Isn't tencent only chinese or something though? That's like, an awfully selective steam killer. (And I know I'm probably really wrong)

Besides though, if something was going to kill steam it'd have to be a monster at marketing and be able to generate a ton of profit and promise for devs really quick. And, of course, be better than steam in enough regards that people would prefer it. I think I'd keep steam though, because I highly doubt TF2 will be released cross platform with volvo's competition.

7 minutes ago, Weirdobob said:

Isn't tencent only chinese or something though? That's like, an awfully selective steam killer. (And I know I'm probably really wrong)

Besides though, if something was going to kill steam it'd have to be a monster at marketing and be able to generate a ton of profit and promise for devs really quick. And, of course, be better than steam in enough regards that people would prefer it. I think I'd keep steam though, because I highly doubt TF2 will be released cross platform with volvo's competition.

Klei opened one of their games to get a bigger audience and profit on the tencent platform most likely. (i dont blame em)

14 minutes ago, Asparagus said:

Let's not put race into this plz...

I don't see how disliking a country automatically means disliking its race. It could very well mean disliking its government for example, and in case of China, that would be a good reason.

6 minutes ago, Mudley said:

I don't see how disliking a country automatically means disliking its race. It could very well mean disliking its government for example, and in case of China, that would be a good reason.

Well it is a vague statement and the topic was about a competitor to rival or surpass steam...

Sealing the deal with Tencent brings profits to Klei, and this may actually benefit players in other regions in the long run.
if Klei gets the resources, they can continue to invest in the game and sell new DLCs at an affordable price.

Plus Klei has the right to sign with other platforms. I don't really see the problem here.

8 minutes ago, t1morino88eex said:

No problem? How about exclusive skins on the 2 different platforms? Chinese players can't have the ancient skins and goh, steam users can't have a bunch of other cool looking stuff. This is a problem as far as I consider it.

We're still holding on that old post of theirs reassuring people that they will be giving both sides the respective exclusive skins to each other... in due time that is... IDK... I have to summon @Chris1488 because it was in his skins thread... I think...

32 minutes ago, t1morino88eex said:

No problem? How about exclusive skins on the 2 different platforms? Chinese players can't have the ancient skins and goh, steam users can't have a bunch of other cool looking stuff. This is a problem as far as I consider it.

Cosmetics versus content? I think that it is fair that both sides get the same content with getting their own exclusive skins. Cosmetics only show other players that you have money for skins.

I think players often overlook the amount of content that we've gotten for free from Klei. As someone who bought Don't Starve for something like €2 (not including the DLC) in a Steam Sale years ago, it's pretty impressive that I've since gotten DST and all the ANR content without having to pay anything else. China presents a massive market and source of additional revenue for Klei, which is probably what has allowed them to keep producing new DS content for as long as they have. If this means that Klei wants to reward Tencent players with exclusive skins for their support, I completely understand (though I'd be much more in favour of them being timed exclusives).

1 hour ago, t1morino88eex said:

A problem is millions of people losing their health insurance, or the privacy concerns that Donke mentions. Not getting skins is frustrating, but hardly rising to the level of an injustice. I'd like the skins too, but let's keep some perspective here.

I have a problem with the term "Steam killer". It's not gonna happen. People have invested way too much time and money into steam's platform. I don't think many people would move to another platform and buy all their games all over again for no good reason. Tencent might have a good foothold in China, but I expect it's not gonna grow very much outside it's country of origin.

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

If this means that Klei wants to reward Tencent players with exclusive skins for their support, I completely understand (though I'd be much more in favour of them being timed exclusives).

Exclusives are bad m'kay.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Exclusives are bad m'kay.

But I bet you support Loyals/Timeless skins? Or Proof of Purchase? They're also exclusive.

So are Formal skins?

Everyone is all for exclusives, as long it's exclusive to them, it seems.

Just get rid of Loyals/Timeless/Proof of Purchase/Rose/Formal and make them available to everyone, kthxbai

Archived