Odd of hounds appearing when you're fighting dragonfly

I'm prepared for it now but it is annoying, half the time I'm fighting dragonfly (6 out of the last 13 fights) the hounds appear, isn't that a bit too often for random generation?    What I do now is build a fort with three levels of thickness, when they attack I get in blow dart shots and can usually finish off the hounds while battling the dragonfly.  If they show up too early I just abandon the mission. 

Hounds and worms always show up when you least want them to. The longer the world goes on the more frequent the attacks become. So once it gets to the point that hounds attack every couple of days, the chances of them attacking when you really don't want them to also increases.

It's murphy's law, they always appears when it's annoying.

But hound attack isn't random. After each wave there is a number set that is the time before the next wave (if i'm not wrong). So they already planned to attack you when you decided to go fight the dragonfly :p

1 hour ago, Lumina said:

It's murphy's law, they always appears when it's annoying.

But hound attack isn't random. After each wave there is a number set that is the time before the next wave (if i'm not wrong). So they already planned to attack you when you decided to go fight the dragonfly :p

IIRC there is a set time, but it's a "random" set time between a certain interval. So like, it could be anywhere between 3-5 days.

To be honest, I think hound waves are more of a nuisance than anything at this point. They can show up at inconvenient times and chase you around the map, but most of the time they're just a steady supply of monster meat, gems, and more teeth than you know what to do with. As a long term challenge they fall off really sharply and just create some mildly annoying scenarios like the one in the OP. 

This is why I always set hound waves to less.

Not because they're hard, but when they're that friggin frequent that every 3 days they spawn it annoys the crud out of me and it isn't fun anymore. My nearby beefalo/tooth traps/flingomatics/just raw fighting power is able to turn hounds into monster n' teeth soufle in seconds, but still, it isn't fun. It does technically make hound waves a bit more difficult at the beginning, as they spawn only like a day or 2 later but there's more hounds than usual. But again, they're no threat.

4 minutes ago, Weirdobob said:

Not because they're hard, but when they're that friggin frequent that every 3 days they spawn it annoys the crud out of me and it isn't fun anymore. My nearby beefalo/tooth traps/flingomatics/just raw fighting power is able to turn hounds into monster n' teeth soufle in seconds, but still, it isn't fun. It does technically make hound waves a bit more difficult at the beginning, as they spawn only like a day or 2 later but there's more hounds than usual. But again, they're no threat.

hound waves are a bad idea, they're unavoidable combat that gets tedious

I feel when you can't beat something that's UNAVOIDABLE without traps, flingos, hamlets, beefalo, etc, it's stupid. (and a waste of resources)

Every 3 days, too.

Don't get me started on Depths Worms though

3 minutes ago, Sudura2017 said:

Don't get me started on Depths Worms though

I set those suckers to less too. So glad that when the ability was added to toggle those, existing worlds that set depth worms in general to less also set waves to less automagically. thx klei bb

Though they are essentially giant pinatas if you get them to not be in their giant huddle, and while it is possible to fight off all 3 of them, and it's very possible to fight off two of them, chances are you're gonna get smacked.

At least glowberries are nice and have their uses (moggles, moggle fuel, long lasting end table light)

I used to use toothtraps now I just run hounds around wherever I am, beefalo, spiders, tentacles, etc.    Since I wrote this post I went after ant lion and bee queen, both times hounds appeared.  Argh.   At least with bq the lures took care of them.

3 hours ago, Weirdobob said:

In addition to all of this, I also like setting hounds to less so I'm not getting ridiculous amounts of hounds teeth. They usually pile up a lot faster then they're consumed.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

setting hounds to less so I'm not getting ridiculous amounts of hounds teeth

I have a portable garbage in my base, an old moldy backpack on the floor where i can stuff bee stingers, teeth and 1% weapons. When its full,I go to my dump place (a lure plant) where I usually empty my trashpack. 

Idk, imo, when you are at day 2498275937565, hounds by themselves are not a challenge for sure, but same for getting cold or hungry. When you are experienced, the challenge in Dst comes when you have like 5 problems on your back. For example, I'm sure you lived something like: being cold in ruins, with almost no light in your minershat, not much sanity, getting followed by a wave of depth worms and BAM, the flooring turns red, the nightmare phase begins and now you're deeply in trouble. Me be like: I can handle it, I can handle it, to NOPE! lets gtfo of here. 

In Dst, problems stack. If there's 10 depth worms they'll try to get to you all at the same time; they are not waiting their turn. There's always a way to get more difficulty from this game. Just look at @BluesyBuesy what he is doing on youtube. 

I dont really feel good turning at "less" the hounds or depth worms (those kill me way to often... Those sneaky snakes). However, I am guilty of turning off smoldering for summers. :o

Gosh I swear, these hound waves and depth worm attacks literally wait for the worst time.

Out of the 7 times I tried killing Dragonfly alone, a hound attack happened midbattle 4 times.
Practically every single Toadstool fight I've been in had a worm attack happen midbattle.
Deerclops just so happened to choose my Klaus fight day as the perfect day to attack.

Hounds are no problem imo, its a food provider and tooth trap supplier.

Yes it gets annoying, but thats what makes the game fun/challenging, because its unexpected. At any moment past 100 days, hound attacks are faster than it takes pigs to spawn back and they come in packs, these wolfs...

Wolfs...that are in big packs...you could called them gangs

Wolfgang

(I am Mighty!)

Archived