People who run servers who suddenly leave...

As a courtesy to my players I stay on for quite a while and also announce well ahead of time when I'll be getting off.   I've noticed in other games that the host suddenly departs with no notice whatsoever, you could be in there for 50 days and boom, everyone gets kicked without warning.   

I don't wanna be mean, but why do you keep making new topics without advice or even a question, just a general statement? I find it pretty strange. You don't have to make a new topic for every new thing you have to say I feel like. 

I did that like twice because I play the game with my friend and if she has to go or gets dced for whatever reason I prefer to close the server and wait on her. I usually say that I will be closing the server because of X but if the person just joined I might not. ^^' Never had a "random" play more than a few days on my server anyway. 

8 hours ago, Kittydub said:

I don't wanna be mean, but why do you keep making new topics without advice or even a question, just a general statement? I find it pretty strange. You don't have to make a new topic for every new thing you have to say I feel like. 

I think you missed the first sentence "As a courtesy to my players I stay on for quite a while and also announce well ahead of time when I'll be getting off."    That was my advice.   I just see a lot of frustrated players out there and am trying to find solutions to make the gaming experience better for them, I'm sorry if that bothers people.

1 hour ago, Mencken said:

I think you missed the first sentence "As a courtesy to my players I stay on for quite a while and also announce well ahead of time when I'll be getting off."    That was my advice.   I just see a lot of frustrated players out there and am trying to find solutions to make the gaming experience better for them, I'm sorry if that bothers people.

Again, I don't intend to be mean or something, I was just curious as to why. Some of your topics would look better in your own profile feed. But that's just my two cents of course. 

I'm split between being confused why you think your advice needed to be shares, and why you think it would be helpful.

The odds of a good, consistent experience playing on a rando undedicated server are pretty minimal.  The best experience in this game is always with friends or a small cpmmunity.

3 hours ago, Toros said:

I'm split between being confused why you think your advice needed to be shares, and why you think it would be helpful.

The odds of a good, consistent experience playing on a rando undedicated server are pretty minimal.  The best experience in this game is always with friends or a small cpmmunity.

everyone shares advice and not everyone feels it was helpful, so what?   Should I start picking fights (like you) with every post that I feel is a waste of time?   People need to chill in here, this is a video game.   

No one is picking fights. I think it was necessary at some point to let you know in a friendly manner that this is not Facebook, but actually a forum, meant for discussion and advice, not just a status update. If you want to share server experiences, the Tales of Life and Death section is designed for that specific topic. Nobody would mind if you made a topic there describing your adventures, your tales. This is simply not the place for it. 

Instead of posting this as a new topic, you could have even added it as a comment in the pinned topic 'Tips on how to be courteous to fellow players'. 

The real thing is, most hosts have lives to take care of - and if you don't plan ahead with having something like AFK Detection to hold the server without dying (crucial for wilderness), one phone call can mean you've got to shut down now. Never discard intense accidents. If my dog needed help, I would not waste time with my usual announcement "It's X, I should get going, finish up fast, closing in Y minutes". It's not wilful malevolence, just prioritising.

When I play with my friends on my hosted game, and after a while I need to go AFK, I just simply let them know I will be AFK and using "c_godmode()" just to not die. Also I go away from base because of bosses/hounds attacks.

4 hours ago, Mencken said:

Is there a way to host game without being in it?   I could stay in a game as a ghost but the sanity drain on the other players would be tiresome, maybe a mod for that.

...do you not know what dedicated servers are?  Because that lets you host a game without being in it, and has been a feature of dst for a long time.

Fair warning, they're moderately difficult to set up, particularly if you have mods.

So this op rant about his friend or what?

If u dont want get dumped suddenly why not play on dedicated server.

Or rent a server all of you and your friend. Ppl dont need ask permission everytime he dc or gtg. There more important matter in real life, like suddenly house in fire, cat suffocate, dog bite your pillow etc

Need close this thread.

Yes I know what a dedicated server is, I rented one.   The cost wasn't the issue, it was going through hoops setting it up, regenerating worlds, getting mods to work properly, etc.   Very time consuming.

3 minutes ago, Mencken said:

Yes I know what a dedicated server is, I rented one.   The cost wasn't the issue, it was going through hoops setting it up, regenerating worlds, getting mods to work properly, etc.   Very time consuming.

This was with Citadel, right? I'm curious to know if there is a dedicated server provider with a better user interface, preferably one that will let you use the game's world customization and mods screens.

On 2017-4-19 at 4:30 AM, Mencken said:

As a courtesy to my players I stay on for quite a while and also announce well ahead of time when I'll be getting off.   I've noticed in other games that the host suddenly departs with no notice whatsoever, you could be in there for 50 days and boom, everyone gets kicked without warning.   

Not much you can do about this. Sometimes, people just have to leave.

Archived