Metheus Lore

Well i was checking the metheus page again, and i started to question myself about the guy or monster or whatever it is that is in front of Metheus, hes holding a torch, but i guess the torch isnt the tragic torch because it doesnt looks like it, are we going to get another puzzle to get that torch? or a boss battle in-game with metheus or something, i just want to know im really hyped about this

Sin título.png

The "monster guys" are Ancients, a sentient race that roamed Don't Starve world before us, players did. They're likely behind a lot of key-story things. It's very likely they were somehow behind bringing Maxwell and Charlie into DS. And those symbols we used in Metheus seem to be their language.

6 minutes ago, ZolaRay said:

Thats my question, isnt the tragic torch suppose to represent charlie, but what about that torch, who represents it? 

I think we assumed it represented Charlie because that's all the info we had. Now that we have the new info it seems to make more sense to represent the Torch Wielder.

7 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I think we assumed it represented Charlie because that's all the info we had. Now that we have the new info it seems to make more sense to represent the Torch Wielder.

I kind of figured they represented both since history seemingly repeated itself during the Final Act. 

Metheus summoned the shadows from the portal , the shadows came from the realm where we found maxwell in DS i guess. also in that realm is where  for the first time we see charlie, so that means that maybe we will be able to teleport to that realm like in DS

10 hours ago, cactusarms said:

Isn't the tragic torch supposed to represent the queen's torch? And the ancient staff is the king's staff

i don't think so, it has the same shadow animation as shadow thurible (also found in torches in the metheus page)

Spoiler

damndog.png.d1a44d7582443a715240214d8b7f

wall-detail.jpg

Found the full background of the Metheus puzzle, mostly obscured in the website. Seems to depict the Ancients' civilization and life.

In the left: An ancient tending to a carrot farm and berry bush in the top-left, minerals in caves, living quarters, sacrifices of berries, minerals and plants to a monster of some sort(to appease it?). To the right: An ancient tending to beehives and plants, with a butterfly in the corner. A rabbit dives into its tunnel, transitioning to an ancient hunting rabbits with a spear. I'm not sure about this part, but it seems to be an ancient tending to machines, and a large fossil beside the two ancients in the corner.

And in the middle, obscured by the pillar, is some sort of machine, decorated with rabbit heads, thulecite, bones, and has a diamond in its core. There is a syllable in the middle that doesn't seem to be part of the translated syllables in the third part of the puzzle, and a red skull above it. On both sides of the middle of the structure appear to be two torches, maybe showing the cave the Metheus website shows and the puzzle. I have no idea what this could be for..  Looking at how it is in the middle of the mural, between day and night, maybe it has something to do with that.

Just a crackpot theory, but looking at the top of the structure...

Ancient Gateway

This guy goes into depth on what the murals could mean

"Metheus" is probably the name of the last Ancient king (the guy with the staff). This is supported by the line "Metheus has taken heed" when you get the skins, implying that Metheus is a person or entity.

Archived