Clothing is meh - enhanced dupes feature?

Micro-managing changing clothes on dupes does not seem like a fun mechanic.  I would prefer if instead of making clothing you could instead enhance your dupes (nanotech or cyber dupes?).  Since you can't control what each individual dupe is doing (I like that actually, lemmings mechanic) clothing just means your winter gear dupes move into a heated area and die which means they are a little too stupid and rather than adding a game mechanic its adding tedium.

Since dupes are printed, thematically a machine that adds extra printing onto an existing dupe seems interesting.  Maybe the lower levels of the machine has a chance / higher chance of adding a drawback (or randomizing the perk).  Maybe the machine enhances your printer so instead of adding a new dupe it improves an existing dupe.  Maybe each dupe gets one augment slot but a perk allows 2 augments, a drawback adds none.  This allows a new tech branch.  As a lazy programmer, the augments could just be the existing character generation perks ... that lets you make an arbitrary depth / research tree and every time you add a new perk you get a possible new augment "for free".   This way you could add new character generation perks like cold resistance and just ride that wave.

I would suggest an alternative to this, actually. Thermal airlocks. Based off the classic "Double manual door" method, with an added bunch of lockers inside that you can supply with either clothes for cold biomes, or clothes for hot biomes. You can have up to 10 in these thermal airlocks, and when a duplicant enters a thermal airlock, they automatically grab and put on one of the outfits. When they come back through the airlock and leave the thermal biome, they return the clothes and put their regular attire back on.

So to put it in a hypothetical situation...

Duplicant A enters frost airlock.

Frost airlock has 3 sets of heated outfits.

Duplicant A takes one set and equips it, then proceeds through airlock.

Duplicant B enters frost airlock.

Frost airlock has 2 sets of heated outfits remaining.

Duplicant B takes one set and equips it, then proceeds through airlock.

Duplicant A returns to frost airlock, returns heated outfit, and heads back to main base area.

Frost airlock has 2 sets of heated outfits remaining.

Duplicants C and D enter frost airlock, take heated outfits each, then proceed through airlock.

Duplicant E enters frost airlock.

Frost airlock has no more sets of heated outfits available.

Duplicant E cannot proceed through airlock without a heated outfit.

Duplicant C returns to frost airlock, returns heated outfit, and heads back to main base area.

Duplicant E can now take Duplicant C's heated outfit and proceed through the airlock.

Duplicant F enters frost airlock.

Frost airlock has no more sets of heated outfits available.

Duplicants B D and E are still working beyond the airlock.

Duplicant F cannot assist and so abandons previous job to go do something else.

"Frost airlock" is a way of discerning that the airlock leads to the frost biome. The airlock itself would be a thermal wildcard airlock. You can either supply it with heated outfits, or cooling outfits. One or the other, but not both.

It sounds complex on paper, but literally all you'd have to do is build the airlock, make some outfits in the textile factory, then allocate the airlock to use that type of outfit. The duplicants will supply it, and then it'll take care of itself from there.

I feel like that'd be a better way to approach this.

14 hours ago, The Nightmare Tank said:

I would suggest an alternative to this, actually. Thermal airlocks.

I love the idea. It would mean some complications with task assignment. The system would need to avoid assigning more tasks to duplicants than there are available passes through the door, even though they did not pass the door yet. So in similar way how duplicants now reserve the task, they would also need to reserve the pass through the door. And retreating back behind the door should be automatic last task assigned when the duplicant has nothing to do outside anymore. But that's certainly possible to implement.

Archived