Making a water source more accessible

So, right now, there is no easy way to transport a liquid from point A to B if the machine that needs the liquid does not have an inflow pipe. For example, a microbe musher doesn't have an inflow pipe but it needs butt loads of water. This means dupes will constantly run back and forth from your water source to try and keep it stocked up. This is can get extremely annoying because the dupes will end up doing nothing but supplying water to the machines 24/7.

illustration 1 - Copy.png

Other than placing the machines that need water close to your water source, there are no easy solutions.

So, what we need is something that allows dupes to collect water from itself, like a faucet or a giant jug of water (with an inflow pipe of course) or something. Like this:

illustration 1.png

13 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

Why can't you do this with a vent and a U shape area of tiles. If you are afraid of overflowing, once the liquid covers the vent it stops pumping. So just make it one tile higher than the vent.

Untitled.png

Oh. .-. I didn't know you could do this... This works but it could still be made easier with what I've suggested, at least, haha. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Thanks for a solution, though.

Just now, Jurgio said:

Oh. .-. I didn't know you could do this... This works but it could still be made easier with what I've suggested, at least, haha. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Thanks for a solution, though.

It's 7 tiles and a vent, not exactly rocket science. It's not worth the effort to add in a whole new building for people that are too lazy to build a well. :p 

10 hours ago, AlexRou said:

once the liquid covers the vent it stops pumping.

Doesn't work for me. Here's a vent in third tile below the surface and it still adds liquid to the pool. Which turned out to be major problem for my design...

(note: this was added later when I thought the upper one is not submerged enough. BOTH still release liquid)

NxT6MNg.jpg

4 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Doesn't work for me. Here's a vent in third tile below the surface and it still adds liquid to the pool. Which turned out to be major problem for my design...

(note: this was added later when I thought the upper one is not submerged enough. BOTH still release liquid)

NxT6MNg.jpg

Looks like it needs mass as well, for some reason your ph2o isn't at 1000 kg per tile.Untitled.png

2 minutes ago, AlexRou said:

Looks like it needs mass as well, for some reason your ph2o isn't at 1kg per tile.

Might be a bug with the vent, then. I checked the map and all polluted water seems to be around 800 kg per tile.

For me, getting clean water close to where the dupes live is part of base building.  It can be quite a pain, though, when the nearest geyser is about 10 screens away >.<

If you're already going to all the trouble to run a pump, water line and electric (along with all the tunnels and ladders to get there), you might as well use it to fill a reservoir near your base.  You'll need it for all the water treatment you'll be getting into.

I find this very interesting. There must be a really tricky line to walk when balancing ONI.

This is a good example of how something can be achieved using the building aspect of the game and current tools weighed against the benefits of having a building that can just do the work.

I don't envy Klei in balancing this game as it develops. We have already seen cool things like the hydrogen bubbler being made just from clever construction. But maybe there should be a machine which just does the same job? Who knows? As every new building can potentially be used as a part of a larger constructed machine where will it will end!

Why don't you build the machine in water? Less time consuming... Just maintain a constant flow from a water pool.

2.png 

1.png

This is my cooling system btw. I can easily cook while cooling down the microbe musher.

PS: Ignore the dupe who extracts directly from the water pool xD ... Not-so smart A.I.

I feel there does need to be some machines to do some jobs, mostly due to my game having major issues with balancing Oxygen, food, and there seems to be a problem with the priorities...I've ran test and the dupes are doing Lv 1 jobs before Lv 9 at after like, cycle 30 on my game and I'm not sure why.

Archived