Mencken

Best Use for Hondius Shootius?

27 posts in this topic

Decided to take my time thinking about it before deploying this, last game I used it for hounds, pretty much a waste.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wall in a few bunny hutches near your base, put the houndius shootius outside the walls, walk by carrying meat. Free food!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sylveonite said:

Wall in a few bunny hutches near your base, put the houndius shootius outside the walls, walk by carrying meat. Free food!

Rabbits can be killed in easier ways...

IMO you should use it either to make a cave farm for monkeys or to deal with hounds(replacing the trap fields). Its DPS is relatively low to use against any bosses. However nice this turret could be on paper, its not game changing at all. It is, however, pretty useful during Krampi farming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diaboliko said:

Its DPS is relatively low to use against any bosses.

You're able to get up to 3 in 1 world (though you can just pocket them and escape for more). You can use multiples to kite boss so long as their attacks are staggered. At the very least, you can use them as additional damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KilliasK said:

You're able to get up to 3 in 1 world (though you can just pocket them and escape for more). You can use multiples to kite boss so long as their attacks are staggered. At the very least, you can use them as additional damage.

This is DST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Noob634 said:

This is DST.

I know. I just gave a response relevant to both games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KilliasK said:

I know. I just gave a response relevant to both games.

Well it's not relevant for dst as houndius' are renewable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Noob634 said:

Well it's not relevant for dst as houndius' are renewable.

Does renewable mean they work differently or you can't get more than 1? You're just being pedantic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KilliasK said:

Does renewable mean they work differently or you can't get more than 1? You're just being pedantic.

Renewable means there's no (theoretical) limit to how many you can get. You can renew it by resetting ruins.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cyberboy2000 said:

Renewable means there's no (theoretical) limit to how many you can get. You can renew it by resetting ruins.

I'm not sure how to respond to this. So I'll just say that was rhetoric. I know what renewable means. That was my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KilliasK said:

I'm not sure how to respond to this. So I'll just say that was rhetoric. I know what renewable means. That was my point.

I don't think that was very obvious from your comment (I had to re-read it to understand what you meant). Also I assume you mean rhetorical.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can you place it outside fuelweaver boss room so he won't be able to attack it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you use the Hondius Shootius for a Krampus farm then this means 3 things:

  • you would have to wall it in, else would risk having it taken down fast
  • you need to repair the walls as Krampus will kick them if Hondius Shootius is out of reach then attack it once punched in or is within it's reach
  • once you get the Krampus sack, the Hondius Shootius will just sit there being useless

I would rather rely get 4-5 rabbits hutches and use them to take down the Krampus waves, as the rabbits attack them on sight.

For Hondius Shootius I would rather make a pen out of burned end tables, make a Varg trap and farm hounds for their teeth, gems and monster meat. We did this in last world and had lots of loot from it with minimal effort. :)

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cyberboy2000 said:

I don't think that was very obvious from your comment (I had to re-read it to understand what you meant). Also I assume you mean rhetorical.

No, I meant rhetoric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Diaboliko said:

Rabbits can be killed in easier ways...

IMO you should use it either to make a cave farm for monkeys or to deal with hounds(replacing the trap fields). Its DPS is relatively low to use against any bosses. However nice this turret could be on paper, its not game changing at all. It is, however, pretty useful during Krampi farming.

True, true. Monkeys are probably a better usage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having one at the base would still be nice to ease up on hound attacks, which will never stop. Although it just puts to light how little danger there is for player bases, which is unfortunate.

Heard previously that the Guardian naturally respawns during the Summer in Don't Starve Together, but the Fuelweaver also resets the Ruins. Does that mean the Guardian can be respawned two ways or is the former incorrect?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Diaboliko said:

Rabbits can be killed in easier ways...

IMO you should use it either to make a cave farm for monkeys or to deal with hounds(replacing the trap fields). Its DPS is relatively low to use against any bosses. However nice this turret could be on paper, its not game changing at all. It is, however, pretty useful during Krampi farming.

I didn't want to use in the caves because I'll lose it when ruins reset right?   For hounds I don't use traps anymore, I just fight them or led them to beefalo, swamp, spiders, bees etc (all nearby).   Krampus farming I do near beefalo.

 

i think you can trap the monkeys by blocking their hutches (after killing them all)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, The Curator said:

Having one at the base would still be nice to ease up on hound attacks, which will never stop. Although it just puts to light how little danger there is for player bases, which is unfortunate.

Heard previously that the Guardian naturally respawns during the Summer in Don't Starve Together, but the Fuelweaver also resets the Ruins. Does that mean the Guardian can be respawned two ways or is the former incorrect?

Well, if the guardian respawns that would be amazing.

Edited by Mencken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just now, The Curator said:

Having one at the base would still be nice to ease up on hound attacks, which will never stop. Although it just puts to light how little danger there is for player bases, which is unfortunate.

Heard previously that the Guardian naturally respawns during the Summer in Don't Starve Together, but the Fuelweaver also resets the Ruins. Does that mean the Guardian can be respawned two ways or is the former incorrect?

I'm pretty sure Guardian doesn't re spawn during summer. However in Rezecibs Rebalance mod it does. Maybe you heard someone referring to that?

Edited by Weird Wanderer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Weird Wanderer said:

I'm pretty sure Guardian doesn't re spawn during summer. However in Rezecibs Rebalance mod it does. Maybe you heard someone referring to that?

Yeah people sometimes forget they even have mods installed, probably was that. But with the Fuelweaver the Guardian can now be respawned at least, even if it does require fighting multiple significant bosses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mencken said:

I didn't want to use in the caves because I'll lose it when ruins reset right?   For hounds I don't use traps anymore, I just fight them or led them to beefalo, swamp, spiders, bees etc (all nearby).   Krampus farming I do near beefalo.

I'm pretty sure anything you build in the ruins will be retained along with the map after the reset, but I've only reset the ruins using a console command, not the Fuel Weaver, so I could be wrong.

What will be reset is the guardian, contents of chests, clockworks, monkeys, slurpers, worms and statues. So anything you knocked down/killed will be back again. This raises the question of: what if you built something on the site where a statue once stood? I have no idea if that would cause a crash or simply keep the statue from regenerating.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Destros09 said:

IMG_1528.PNG

skin holding

Thats an expensive skin holder.

Still maybe one of the best use of the Hondius shootius, especially when it's to show off your broad collection of pleated shirts. 

Edited by csc_unit
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:00 AM, Mencken said:

I didn't want to use in the caves because I'll lose it when ruins reset right?   For hounds I don't use traps anymore, I just fight them or led them to beefalo, swamp, spiders, bees etc (all nearby).   Krampus farming I do near beefalo.

 

i think you can trap the monkeys by blocking their hutches (after killing them all)?

It will not get deleted when the ruins get reset. The ruins reset event only repsawns destroyed entities in the ruins (excluding thulecite walls if I recall correctly).

You are correct about being able to trap monkeys by blocking their hutches.

 

Personally, I prefer using the Houndius Shootius for monkeys. If you set up a wall that will stop them from moving ahead, you could set up a Houndius Shootius behind it, run around a monkey biome when the Nightmare Phase hits and go hide behind said wall. I've been using it for quite a while and it works like a charm.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Electroely said:

(excluding thulecite walls if I recall correctly).

That would be disastrous. Can someone confirm or infirm this? How can you get more thulicites then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now