Polluted Oxygen

I forget in what thread it was, but someone posted a picture of a machine - apparently existing in code but not inserted into the game - which makes sand.  So if sand becomes semi-renewable (or at least able to be made with excess stone) that would help with air deodorizers. 

I'm also hoping there is eventually a machine that more readily makes gas liquification possible, as I really don't think it's great game design to require players to take advanced online ONI physics courses just to do something that is basically an only solution to a problem.  That is, I'm hoping for a machine that specifically condenses gases, rather than having to build giant pipe heat exchanger rooms.

7 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

I forget in what thread it was, but someone posted a picture of a machine - apparently existing in code but not inserted into the game - which makes sand.  So if sand becomes semi-renewable (or at least able to be made with excess stone) that would help with air deodorizers. 

I'm also hoping there is eventually a machine that more readily makes gas liquification possible, as I really don't think it's great game design to require players to take advanced online ONI physics courses just to do something that is basically an only solution to a problem.  That is, I'm hoping for a machine that specifically condenses gases, rather than having to build giant pipe heat exchanger rooms.

Somebody mentioned if you put dirt in a roughly 400 °C environment, it will turn into sand. So that might be something for in the meanwhile.

3 hours ago, turbonl64 said:

Going back on using duplicants to get the polluted oxygen out: simply put it's taking too long (oh yes, I tried). Even with 25 (with 35 addtional ones putting in work around the new base) duplicants around the place and 15 cycles further, it has only diminished like 25%. 

Anyway, I think it'd better to avoid having duplicants living in polluted oxygen. In the current build this almost goes completely unpunished, but I think the game developers will change that eventually. Hopefully by then they both fixed this unlimited polluted oxygen generation, and gave addtional means for dealing with it.

Taking too long...only 45 more cycles and you'd be done!  But yea, I'm not trying to have a debate about what's better.  Every colony I make these days I come up with some artificial goals or limitations to add some challenge in, keeps it interesting for me, but when people are doing that better becomes not just subjective but dependent on all those arbitrary factors.I was just adding in option 4 to the list :)

4 hours ago, Trego said:

Taking too long...only 45 more cycles and you'd be done!  But yea, I'm not trying to have a debate about what's better.  Every colony I make these days I come up with some artificial goals or limitations to add some challenge in, keeps it interesting for me, but when people are doing that better becomes not just subjective but dependent on all those arbitrary factors.I was just adding in option 4 to the list :)

No no, it's a good solution. In the current situation it even is an advantage as you don't need to produce extra oxygen as long there still is polluted oxygen around. Just that aesthetic-wise I detest the yellow-brownish polluted oxygen and nothing seems to get rid of it fast enough xD. I got my liquidizer up and running, but even that takes quite a few cycles as the temperature needs time to get down to -183 °C. However, once it gets there it should put me in a much better position for future digging out bases.

I think it's mostly me going over all the options and feeling "that takes too long" at every step of it. I'm an impatient bastard.

I posted a youtubevideo about the Pufts that CodingKitteh talks about in his post. Thought I was first but apperently not :)

If you fint any Pufts around that is by faar the easiest way to deal with polluted oxygen and it has no real drawbacks...

On 12/04/2017 at 7:32 PM, Kasuha said:

Oh, I don't consider valve circulation an exploit. It's not based on bug but on basic mechanics how liquid/gas transport for pipes is implemented. Each device with an input and output port is a pump, even if it's passive.

The elephant in the room is the heat exchange.

So the gas circulates withing the loop without the pump thanks to bug? 

30 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

So the gas circulates withing the loop without the pump thanks to bug? 

Its just how the game works, green to white, how is something which designed that way and worked as intended be called as a bug?

Also the thing you quoted is outdated, the bug is the content inside of a pipe will reset their temperature when they are moving to next section of pipes, which is fixed in AU.

Perhaps it was not intended for closed loops. However, with the temperature bug gone... I don't see how to control the thermo regulators without releasing the gas and pumping it back: you need a thermo switch which does not react to temperature in pipes but to temperature in the tile. Well, the tile will take temperature of the pipe slowly.... but perhaps too slowly to avoid failures.

3 hours ago, SeeHam said:

Its just how the game works, green to white, how is something which designed that way and worked as intended be called as a bug?

Also the thing you quoted is outdated, the bug is the content inside of a pipe will reset their temperature when they are moving to next section of pipes, which is fixed in AU.

So I don't need to put pump in order for my lavatory to work, just the pipes? 

you only need 1 pump inside a clean water, to pump water to your lavatory input(White) , then connect the lavatory's output (Green) to a liquid vent with pipes. At this point you dont need any pumps to transfer your dump to your vent no matter where they located, which in real life you need gravity and pumps to move them around.

2 hours ago, Cilya said:

Perhaps it was not intended for closed loops. However, with the temperature bug gone... I don't see how to control the thermo regulators without releasing the gas and pumping it back: you need a thermo switch which does not react to temperature in pipes but to temperature in the tile. Well, the tile will take temperature of the pipe slowly.... but perhaps too slowly to avoid failures.

You could probably have one segment which is a different type of pipe, this way it will cool down to reflect the temperature without inflicting much of a temperature difference to the gas or the rest of the piping.

53 minutes ago, SeeHam said:

you only need 1 pump inside a clean water, to pump water to your lavatory input(White) , then connect the lavatory's output (Green) to a liquid vent with pipes. At this point you dont need any pumps to transfer your dump to your vent no matter where they located, which in real life you need gravity and pumps to move them around.

So it debunks your theory about mechanics of game, since I proved you need pump to move contents anyway 

18 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

So it debunks your theory about mechanics of game, since I proved you need pump to move contents anyway 

Not necessarily. You can plug the output of a water purifier directly to your lavatory without the need of an intermediate pump.

51 minutes ago, Cilya said:

Not necessarily. You can plug the output of a water purifier directly to your lavatory without the need of an intermediate pump.

But you still need the initial pump active, and a middle equipment to produce things into pipes in order to push them 

I want to know if what you are saying is that content will move by itself in a looped (circle shaped) pipes by itself without any force or equipment whatsoever? 

35 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

No. You need a pump to start the process but you can make an infinite cycling loop disconnecting the pump with a valve or pipe bridge. This works for both gases and liquids. It's always been that way ever since the very first alpha release.

20 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

I want to know if what you are saying is that content will move by itself in a looped (circle shaped) pipes by itself without any force or equipment whatsoever? 

You are right, it needs an equipment. A pipe loop won't work (and will generally disturb the liquid/gas inside) What they say is that a valve is indeed a "valid" equipment to pull the contents of the incoming pipe and push the contents of the outgoing pipe.

A valve doesn't consume anything, which might be disturbing: how an equipment moving a liquid doesn't need any power ? The shower and the lavatory doesn't consume power either. There are some people who run showers in closed loop between showers and a water purifier.

Closed loops are unintuitive, thus we are easily tempted to believe they are an exploit. After all, it is a perpetual movement.Though I can understand the logic of people who use them: a pump is not a building which push liquid/gas in a pump, it's a building which take the liquid/gas from the environment and put it in a pipe. Inside the pipe, the contents move by itself from intakes to sinks.

If you ever want to use an infinite loop of gas a valve to pull the gas from an existing pipe into the loop works, then you remove the valve and excess pipes, the system will continue to run in circles....fooooorrrrrreeeeevvvvvveeeeeerrrrr *horror voice*

Or it used to haha

I don't think lavs in a closed loop will work, because they produce more water than they use, eventually clogging the system.  You could put a valve in the loop and occasionally open it to let out the excess.  But that's not entirely hands-off.   Though it might be possible to fine-tune the valve to perfectly let out enough to match the input from the exact number of dupes you have.    There may also be some sort of bridge-valve-priority method to have it automatically vent the excess, but I'm not sure that would work because I think it'd require the pipes to be full, which might clog the system before activating the auto vent.  Just some musings.  I don't really bother with such systems myself.

Of course it's possible to make a hands-off closed cycle with lavatories (if we don't count dupes delivering sand to the purifier and the fact that there will be tons of germs in the excess clean water). You just need to get some water into it to start it up.

AADFoSY.jpg

Where are you all finding so much polluted oxygen? I had bits of it here and there and just used deodorizers for it until it was all gone. There is so much sand that I probably won't run out for 1000s of cycles but by then all the polluted oxygen will be gone. I did end up with 5+ Pufts on the map that could be used to clean it all out as suggested. Building LOX machines is fun but don't seem necessary. Brothgar's latest design is very compact and pretty efficient. 

Kasuha's design looks super efficient. I want to build it!  Kasuha any chance of saving that as a YAML template file so we can play with it?

Archived