Polluted Oxygen

Have a room full of polluted oxygen, and have a meandering pipe in it. Send cold hydrogen through that pipe and keep it circulating until the oxygen liquefies. No pipe can break with that.

In case you make the pipe too cold (which is useful if you want the machine to be efficient), have a floor out of mesh tiles with single tube of slightly warmer hydrogen going right above that floor to catch and thaw any solid oxygen that may fall there.

The solid floor of that room should be funnel-shaped to route the liquid oxygen to another room. That other room should be warm to evaporate it, warm it up and prepare it for transport. You may achieve that e.g. using a pipe of warm hydrogen.

Thanks to exploit, this can be even made to work with zero power consumption. I have one built but I don't have access to my PC right now to provide a screenshot.

Here's my contraption:

qhvFBd7.jpg

The long pipe contains hydrogen at -240 C. When I route some polluted oxygen in, it usually takes a while till it cools down but thanks to this low temperature it happens sooner.

The pipe above the mesh floor has hydrogen at -150 C. It's there to thaw any solid oxygen that starts falling from the cold pipes when the gas pressure gets low. But for some reason the mesh tiles retain their +20 C temperature from when they were built so maybe the pipe is not necessary there.

The pipe near the exit contains hydrogen at +30 C and its task is to evaporate the liquid. Oxygen usually escapes from there at about -4 C.

That entombement at the valve is solid carbon dioxide that turned to tile somehow. Fortunately the valve did not stop working. The rocks on the floor are some solid carbon dioxide too, dupes don't know how to sweep it but it does not mean any harm to the process.

Very cool build buddy, I've done something similar but avoided the stepped tiles as it's amazing how much can collect on them.

And I know what you mean about the mesh tiles, had the same thing when I build them inside my geysers - the temp just stays constant, but it doesn't have an effect on the environment around it I don't think.

Good stuff though man :) 

9 hours ago, Kasuha said:

Here's my contraption:

qhvFBd7.jpg

The long pipe contains hydrogen at -240 C. When I route some polluted oxygen in, it usually takes a while till it cools down but thanks to this low temperature it happens sooner.

The pipe above the mesh floor has hydrogen at -150 C. It's there to thaw any solid oxygen that starts falling from the cold pipes when the gas pressure gets low. But for some reason the mesh tiles retain their +20 C temperature from when they were built so maybe the pipe is not necessary there.

The pipe near the exit contains hydrogen at +30 C and its task is to evaporate the liquid. Oxygen usually escapes from there at about -4 C.

That entombement at the valve is solid carbon dioxide that turned to tile somehow. Fortunately the valve did not stop working. The rocks on the floor are some solid carbon dioxide too, dupes don't know how to sweep it but it does not mean any harm to the process.

I know I am going off topic when I ask this, but do you also have a way to clean water without using sand or magma?

2 hours ago, azzaisme said:

I know I am going off topic when I ask this, but do you also have a way to clean water without using sand or magma?

what about coal generator? it produce many heat (and carbon oxyde too).

we need to transfer heat to our polluted water and evaporate it. after we transfer steam to other place - to condenser and - voila! - water!!!

12 minutes ago, RamVivat said:

what about coal generator? it produce many heat (and carbon oxyde too).

we need to transfer heat to our polluted water and evaporate it. after we transfer steam to other place - to condenser and - voila! - water!!!

Well it does only need to be 100 degrees C

3 minutes ago, azzaisme said:

Well it does only need to be 100 degrees C

I believe polluted water needs more. Maybe 120? I'm not sure right now but it can be found in its description. Still low enough to work with heater made of gold amalgam but there's not much reserve.

20 minutes ago, skinicism said:

Well, basically polluted oxygen is synthetic polarity anti-freeze biomass for peons; the high society people in the game use the higher electrolysis filtration substrate.

Sorry what

1 hour ago, RamVivat said:

Kasuha, how it works?

It abuses the bug that as long as a gas or fluid moves through a pipe, it retains the temperature at which it entered the pipe. So there is no power involved (at least not anymore, the regulator was used originally). Also, pipe contents can be held in motion just by presence of a valve or a pipe bridge. Here's the gas overlay of its current state:

bUwlZpl.jpg

The two things above and left of the regulator are thermo switches. They were meant to switch the regulator on in case the pipe becomes too hot or switch it off when the regulator becomes too hot but they proved useless. I just left them there. The regulator is powered, the wire goes through the mesh floor but it's off as the gas in the pipe is already cold, does not warm up, and the pipe contents is propelled by the valve.

58 minutes ago, RamVivat said:

but... but how you fill the pipe without a pump? 

That disconnected pipe at the right was used to bring the hydrogen in. When the cycle was full, I deconstructed the connection as it was no longer needed.

To cool down the mail loop, I used the regulator that's already there. To cool down the thawing loop, I had a separate regulator which I deconstructed when the gas was cold enough. And I did not cool the evaporation loop at all.

Honestly, it's not much harder to just keep a room for your "hydrogen dumping and pumping" - you don't have to exploit the fixed loop bug if you don't want to (personally I avoid them).

Just have one end of your pipe connected to the pump, fill a room with hydrogen, and connect the other end of the pipe to the bottom left of the same room with a vent to release it. 

setup.jpg

Very basic design to explain, but a thermo switch connected to the left of the first thermo regulator on the left would give you the same system as the fixed loop bug.

37 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Just have one end of your pipe connected to the pump, fill a room with hydrogen, and connect the other end of the pipe to the bottom left of the same room with a vent to release it.

You're still happily running the exploit, you just pay some power for an extra pump.

The gas still does not change temperature at all in the pipe and in case the room is well insulated, it'll stop doing so in the room eventually as well.

The only way to avoid the exploit is to mix the gases in open space. But then you have to run an extra filter besides the pump and you still get all kinds of issues with pumping something that's too cold to stay as gas in the pipe and dealing with broken pipes.

Well technically I'm not, my gas is circulating because it has somewhere to go - not because I just threw a cheaty-valve on :D 

Again, i'm not opposed to people using these time/power saving tips/tricks/bugs whatever you want to call them, I just try not to on stream  as I don't want to advocate them - nothing worse than building your base around something that gets hotfixed :) 

15 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

not because I just threw a cheaty-valve on

Oh, I don't consider valve circulation an exploit. It's not based on bug but on basic mechanics how liquid/gas transport for pipes is implemented. Each device with an input and output port is a pump, even if it's passive.

The elephant in the room is the heat exchange.

So, I'm looking at removing a huge amount of polluted oxygen as it seems no pit is large enough to dump it into. Does the solution provided by Kasuha still work? the gas pipes now have their temperature reset bug fixed, but could it be with a few adjustements this is still possible?

Btw, what material should I use for the pipe? Wolframite?

There are a few methods for removing polluted oxygen

1. Pumping to a room of 2-3 Pufts 
    1. Pro's:
      1. Requires very little resources
      2. Easy Setup
      3. Free Slime (Slime -> Algae)
      4. Set it and forget it
      5. Free Range & Organic ;)
    2. Con's
      1. Need to explore/find chamber with 2-3 pufts
      2. Takes some time (not short but not long either)
  2. Liquefaction via use of cooling gas coils ("Hydrogen Condenser")
    1. Pro's:
      1. Cool downs large amounts the fastest
      2. Multifunctional/Modular
        1. Gas liquefaction for storage (Oxygen/Carbon Dioxide)
        2. Base Cooler
        3. Refrigerator
        4. Water Cooler
      3. Set it and forget it
    2. Con's
      1. Expensive (usually made either from wolframite or gold amalgam)
      2. Energy intensive (need air pumps and thermo regulators. MAYBE air filters), possibly 0.5 kW to several kW
      3. Need to design space and requires time to construct
  3. In-game Air Deodorizer(not recommended but has its uses)
    1. Pro's:
      1. Quickest Setup
      2. Very robust
      3. Very portable
      4. Outputs clay
    2. Con's
      1. VERY EXPENSIVE use of sand (cheap if you have a sand factory)
      2. Needs constant resupply of sand
      3. Outputs clay
      4. Small capacity per unit (though easily scalable)

@CodingKitteh

Yeah I think only option 2 is doable as I nowhere have more than one puft around. IMO, the game really needs a capture option.

Air Deodorizers are sensible at entrances of your living quarters to filter polluted oxygen that manages to get inside. But to get rid of atleast 5kg per cell of polluted oxygen in a large area, that's going to eat through my sand within a few cycles. And I still need sand for my water purifier.

So obviously I'm looking at a good set up for option 2. I do need a good set up. Power is not a problem, resources are neither a problem and since I built a huge pit for the polluted oxygen I can very much use that one.

To give a bit more background: I'm building a second colony living quarters as I ran out of space in the starting biome. Since the most ideal space is already taken, I'm looking into doing this inside a large slime biome (with a couple of small toxic biomes mixed in). I already set up the tile frame work for the living quarters. But yeah, it's full of polluted oxygen. I worked out how to clean these quarters: I build pumps at the base getting the gas out in to the pit (which now is full), and soon I will build electrolyzers at the top, having the clean oxygen and the hydrogen pressurizing the polluted oxygen downwards towards the pump.

So my only option is liquifying the polluted oxygen, cleaning it.

21 minutes ago, turbonl64 said:

@CodingKitteh

Yeah I think only option 2 is doable as I nowhere have more than one puft around. IMO, the game really needs a capture option.

Air Deodorizers are sensible at entrances of your living quarters to filter polluted oxygen that manages to get inside. But to get rid of atleast 5kg per cell of polluted oxygen in a large area, that's going to eat through my sand within a few cycles. And I still need sand for my water purifier.

So obviously I'm looking at a good set up for option 2. I do need a good set up. Power is not a problem, resources are neither a problem and since I built a huge pit for the polluted oxygen I can very much use that one.

To give a bit more background: I'm building a second colony living quarters as I ran out of space in the starting biome. Since the most ideal space is already taken, I'm looking into doing this inside a large slime biome (with a couple of small toxic biomes mixed in). I already set up the tile frame work for the living quarters. But yeah, it's full of polluted oxygen. I worked out how to clean these quarters: I build pumps at the base getting the gas out in to the pit (which now is full), and soon I will build electrolyzers at the top, having the clean oxygen and the hydrogen pressurizing the polluted oxygen downwards towards the pump.

So my only option is liquifying the polluted oxygen, cleaning it.

I filtered 30 kg/per tile pressure of pufts when I didn't have the electrical capacity to have a thermo regulator setup.

You guys forgot option 4.  (and you necro'd an old thread, although I suppose for a decent reason)

4.  Making some poor Dupes breathe dirty air until it's gone.

1.  Pros  

1.  Free

2.  Get to make your dupes suffer.

3.  Chance of dupes mutating into Godzilla, which you can use to conquer nearby colonies.

2.  Cons

1.  Polluted Oxygen will give your dupes horrific and debilitating diseases, which have next to zero ingame effect.

2.  Have to make your dupes suffer.

3. Small chance one of your dupes will mutate into Godzilla and destroy your colony.

Sorry for necroing on the topic. I was searching for solutions through the search bar, bumped into this thread and saw Kasuha's solution. The search terms I used filtered out the Oxygen Liquificator topic, hence why I missed on that. Anyway, it's not that big of a deal as it is still a relevant topic to discuss.

Going back on using duplicants to get the polluted oxygen out: simply put it's taking too long (oh yes, I tried). Even with 25 (with 35 addtional ones putting in work around the new base) duplicants around the place and 15 cycles further, it has only diminished like 25%. I think @CodingKitteh mentioned it in a different topic, but if you leave slime biome bubbles with polluted water and polluted oxygen untouched for too long, the interaction between that oxygen and water will generate unlimited polluted oxygen until you are able to put something inbetween (a layer of CO2 or a layer of clean water on top). I ended up with over 100kg per cell in those bubbles, I've got it down to 1.8kg currently and I started work on liquifying the polluted oxygen, which should solve the problem.

Anyway, I think it'd better to avoid having duplicants living in polluted oxygen. In the current build this almost goes completely unpunished, but I think the game developers will change that eventually. Hopefully by then they both fixed this unlimited polluted oxygen generation, and gave addtional means for dealing with it.

Archived