Tosh

Decoding the ancient language

298 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, rezecib said:

@mcadjo We also need to see the corresponding 3x2 grid for the notch symbols, or the order of the other symbols from your buddy, since the ordering changes between initial display and the submission.

Right, I overlooked that fact. Will check it with my buddy as soon as he is available.

13 minutes ago, mcadjo said:

Well I am sorry but this sign have 2 notches on rune in my solution of second part of puzzle. This item is most likely something stackable if we can trust our numbering system for runes.

and picture proof as requested :p

Your picture does not match anything, you are giving on half of the solution, your half of the solution matches your partners solution. Incorrectly(no harm meant), you are showing your solution matching your starting code, once again we need the two solution codes side by side (your solution, and your partners solution).

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

Your picture does not match anything, you are giving on half of the solution, your half of the solution matches your partners solution. Incorrectly(no harm meant), you are showing your solution matching your starting code, once again we need the two solution codes side by side (your solution, and your partners solution).

Right, i see that now. Will  check my buddy part to confirm earlier statement or, hopefully, proof i was wrong.

Just to confirm that i was wrong. Seems that symbol corresponding to one notch rune after all. Sorry for confusion i caused.

Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 21.33.31.png

Edited by mcadjo
correction
1 person likes this

So I took a look at the ancient number runes and here is what I found. Every single person who receives a number runes bank receives the same bank, just rearranged in no particular order. This means each of the thirteen runes has a defined number it represents.

unknown.png

Here are all 13 possible runes which will appear in the runes bank. Note that hypothetically #12 could also mean one.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Perhaps that explains why in our puzzle, we got the 1 rune three times, since some of the items (i.e. staves and such) only stack to one. Here's our selection for cross-reference:

025197b8b6.jpg

5b410689ae.jpg

So if the bottom middle really is a staff, it would make sense that it would always be paired with a 1 rune. Anyone got a cross-reference to confirm or deny that theory?

Edited by MeingroessterFan

Posted (edited)

I have managed to number each of the 13 'number' runes a number from 1 to 13 using the same counting method but it gives (i can't input the immage of the rune with 1 notch at the top).

the number 2 not 1 and that seems unlikey but i will say if anyone is interested

Edited by Donut Steeve

Posted (edited)

Regarding the numbers, there was a post that found a system for single-digit numbers: 

However this seems at odds with middle-top notch being 1. I've been trying to figure out the number system for 4 sides, and have observed that:

• There are only notches on the bottom if there are notches on the top
  • There are only notches on the right if there are notches on the left

Those two observations are consistent with interpreting left-right as a single digit, where left is + and right is -, and same for top-bottom. So this would suggest that we have a two-digit system. But if it's following HamBatter's interpretation, then center-top should be either 3 or 30...

It would also suggest that one of the tiles is 77 (the one with 6 notches), which is way too high for an item stack count.

Edited by rezecib
1 person likes this

i2xpdh2.png

The number tiles seem to be a combination of the base types, and assuming the notch position is meaningless then the base types consist of 3 uniques with the other 3 just rotated 90 degrees.

3 people like this

1 minute ago, rezecib said:

I guess another interpretation of top/bottom and left/right would be that rather than each pair specifying a decimal digit, the positioning of the notches along the side doesn't matter and it's just two base-4 digits. So that would give:

L7ohv0h.png

The bottom-right would be 15 (12 + 3).

I really liked that one!

3 minutes ago, rezecib said:

I guess another interpretation of top/bottom and left/right would be that rather than each pair specifying a decimal digit, the positioning of the notches along the side doesn't matter and it's just two base-4 digits. So that would give:

L7ohv0h.png

The bottom-right would be 15 (12 + 3).

I really like this chart, but where is 9 or 13

Just now, TheSlackPack said:

I really like this chart, but where is 9 or 13

They didn't appear, but if that's correct then they would have the combined notches of 8+1 for 9 and 12 + 1 for 13.

1 person likes this

So, since every single combination has two One Notch runes, and one of those always corrolates with the staff symbol, then what if the other One Notch Symbol determines which kind of gem the staff is built with?

1 person likes this

Just now, MeingroessterFan said:

So, since every single combination has two One Notch runes, and one of those always corrolates with the staff symbol, then what if the other One Notch Symbol determines which kind of gem the staff is built with?

I tried this earlier but to no avail, although considering we don't even know the numbers it may still prove to be true.

1 person likes this

Just now, MeingroessterFan said:

In the spreadsheet it was observed that the other one corresponds to a living animal (bird/rabbit/bee), but there are also some with three one-notch runes.

And what if this rune doesn't mean staff nad means amulet instead? We have one amulet for each gem color and they are also unstackable

30.png

29 minutes ago, Canal_WP said:

And what if this rune doesn't mean staff nad means amulet instead? We have one amulet for each gem color and they are also unstackable

30.png

I tried to use Bone Armor since it recalls 1 in the upper side.

I'm trying to understand the number diagram. Would the rune with the 2 notches each in the upper left and lower-right corners equal 6?

48 minutes ago, Canal_WP said:

30.png

this must be the tragic torch. it appears in everyone's symbols, and you have to have the tragic torch before you begin to solve this puzzle

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, irem said:

this must be the tragic torch. it appears in everyone's symbols, and you have to have the tragic torch before you begin to solve this puzzle

30.png.c875b1f94746372e67fd67215ce899ae.3b9129f89a617dc2ffe9e89eb03de6e6.png

ig that would fit?

The torch has already been tried if I'm not mistaken. No dice, although some other glyph could be the one being misinterpreted, too.