Beginner Game Play: A Guide (Tips/ First Impressions)

DON'T STARVE TOGETHER 

In a nutshell: 

A fun, at times brutally challenging co-operative survival game featuring gorgeous, Tim Burton-style graphics, a gothic, slightly Alice in Wonderland feel, an array of original, idiosyncratic characters, and a large (but not unwieldy) and varied map (featuring woodland, savanas, swamplands, rocky outcrops, and autumnal forests, amongst others, that change with the seasons) to ensure a high degree of replay-ability.

Character selection:

Choose from (amongst others)
• Wilson (the gentleman scientist)
• Willow (the fire starter)
• Wendy (the bereaved)
• Wickerbottom (the librarian)
• Webber (the Indigestible);
(And my personal favourite)
• Wigfrid (the Performance Artist)

Each character has its own strengths (some much more useful than others) and pitfalls to manage, as you explore, harvest resources, and craft all the gear you need to survive the elements and various threats, both elemental and predatorial, that beset the landscape.

Some Tips:

After a number of play throughs, my partner and I have (pretty well) settled on Webber and Wigfrid as our favourite characters.

Webber, a slightly scruffy spider-like character, has the ability to plant and grow a spider den, which will produce a range of useful resources (monster meat, silk, and glands) that can be used to make winter hats, tents, boomerangs, bird traps, and revival potions. All incredibly useful. He can befriend spiders and eat monster meat, without any penalty. He can also grow a beard that can be shaved for even more silk, making him an overall valuable, resource producing companion.

Wigfrid is a red-headed warrior woman. She comes equipt with a battle helm and spear, both of which she can helpfully craft for her companions. Slaying creatures in battle will help restore both her health and her sanity. She can deliver and withstand higher levels of damage, which makes her particularly valuable, in fending off hounds, killing clockwork horses for gears, and taking on hoards of spiders. Her major weakness is she can only eat meat, so recommend setting up camp either, near a savana or a concentration of ponds, where rabbits or frogs, are plentiful.

The hardest bit (so far):

Is Winter. The cold sets in (making exploration and resource gathering much more difficult), berries, carrots, and mushrooms are scarce, grass, saplings, and trees (all needed to keep the fire burning at night) grow at a much slower rate. 

The hot tips:

* in the first stage of the game, when natural resources are plentiful and the weather is far more temperate, harvest and store a surplus of items. That includes: wood (recommend making 20 or so wooden boards which will burn slower and brighter, wood logs, rock and flint (needed to replace broken tools - and craft thermal stones, to keep you warm as you travel further afield), and gold (fancy tools will last longer, also needed to replace broken battle helms and spears).

mine glaciers: ice can be used in the crockpot (with monster meat or morsels) as fillers for meals. Very handy in the winter when berries and veg are scarce!

* make sure you have: 

- One or two crockpots crafted (use charcoal, cut stone and twigs), 

- Drying racks (charcoal, rope and twigs) 

- A fridge (gears, cut stone and charcoal). 

- A spider den nearby, will ensure you can craft (and replace) a tent when needed (terrific for restoring health and sanity at the cost of hunger).

- Winter hats, to keep your warm when travelling (use beefalo fur, gathered by shaving sleeping beefalo at night, and silk).

- A couple of thermal stones crafted, will also keep you warm and can be recharged near the fire.

[ Thanks for reading! Enjoyed this post? Let me know and I'll post some more :D

Since this is for beginners...

Make pick axe first, not ax.   No need for fires until you're ready to get fireflies.    Use torch to burn isolated trees (which also saves torch life) to collect charcoal and mine spiders for silk early on.   Map the world in the first 6-8 days.   If you run across clockworks make science machine for armor and harvest gears.   Set up base by days 8-10 and get miners hat, then shave beefalo for winter hat.   

Archived