How are you supposed to cool water?

I have a 10 x 4 small tub of water (each tile 1000kg) that I have starting at 70 F. I'm running supercooled hydrogen at -250 F in ~300g packets through pipes in and out of the water covering every single water tile.

Each day cycle it seems to only remove about 0.5 F... How are you guys cooling your water if not via radiators? Exposing the water directly to the hydrogen didn't do anything either, I saw even less change in temp with that method despite the hydrogen staying at -250 F.

Just insulate your reservoir and pipes if you're concerned about the temperature spreading. The temperature doesn't transfer to whatever it's converted to, except for the toilet and shower, so there's no harm just having hot water.

Just for fun I filled half the room with equal amounts of 1000kg hydrogen tiles @ -400 F and 1000kg water tiles @ 70 F. Still took over 40 cycles to get the water down to 40ish F.

There must be something wrong with gas -> liquid and gas -> solid heat transfer right now. It's way too slow. If it worked even close to this slow in real life, refrigerators would be impossible let alone ice cubes.

Just insulate your reservoir and pipes if you're concerned about the temperature spreading. The temperature doesn't transfer to whatever it's converted to, except for the toilet and shower, so there's no harm just having hot water.

Good to know. It's still a bummer you have so little ability to control temp though. It's also glitchy that the water temp wouldn't transfer to oxygen or whatever else you convert it to.

I'd still like to find a way, but I presume there is none until they sort the game out more.

18 minutes ago, Slight said:

There must be something wrong with gas -> liquid and gas -> solid

More like gas->pipe transfer. The pipe section is 200 kg of solid granite, and you have up to 1 kg of gas passing through it. No wonder it takes ages.

My main way is using a nearby ice biome. i have a cold reservior there that i pump in water from a geyser, then i pumped that water into my main reservior. In about 10 cycles i dropped my main reservior temp from 45c (113f) down to about 20c (68f)

1 hour ago, Kasuha said:

More like gas->pipe transfer. The pipe section is 200 kg of solid granite, and you have up to 1 kg of gas passing through it. No wonder it takes ages.

I'm sure you're just making a joke, but the pipe itself cools down just fine in game. How they make pipes out of flimsy material like sandstone is perhaps the greatest mystery of all.

Slight, make sure the gas pipes that you're exposing/intending to cool the water with are un-insulated - and if you can make the packets of hydrogen larger that should help. I've found that if I completely saturate my wheezewort room to the point where gas isn't moving from pump -> pipe -> vent all that often (i.e. the pump only "tops up" the pipe when a pipe full of hydrogen manages to squeeze into the room) then the transfer of heat is much quicker. 

Some screenshots might help if you're able to?

Here's what's worked for me. I have a giant reservoir that I pipe the water up and above it. I let the water run over some gas permeable tiles and through some storage compactors that have ice in them. Make sure not to use polluted ice because you don't want that going into the reservoir. As the water above moves over the storage units with ice it cools down. Next you make a waterfall which creates a constant stream of water running down. Any water you want to pipe in let it drip over the waterfall because it will cool down instantly. Put your liquid pump at the bottom of the reservoir under your waterfall. The hot water way above is from a water purifier. I also pump this water over my machines so they don't overheat. As you keep pumping the water it keeps cooling. Also great for a thermal barrier since gasses can't pass through it, but I'll experiment with that later.

20170411152552_1.jpg20170411152609_1.jpg20170411152616_1.jpg

try putting a tower of wolframite gasperm tiles from the water to the air above, I got a temperature drop of about 20C in 1 cycle inside a geysers pool ~30,000kg.

I have 6 wheeze warts inside a sealed room of 1500g hydrogen at -30C.

Nativel привет, скажи плиз сколько у тебя кг воды настроено в Liquid Valve?

У меня почему-то вода нагревается все равно...

нагревается.jpg

On 4/13/2017 at 4:38 AM, Xanif22 said:

try putting a tower of wolframite gasperm tiles from the water to the air above, I got a temperature drop of about 20C in 1 cycle inside a geysers pool ~30,000kg.

I have 6 wheeze warts inside a sealed room of 1500g hydrogen at -30C.

Using liquid pumps made with wolframite half in the water is ridiculously good for heat exchange between gas and liquids.

with testing 6 wheeze warts cant cool a geyser's pool

11 minutes ago, Xanif22 said:

Using liquid pumps made with wolframite half in the water is ridiculously good for heat exchange between gas and liquids.

with testing 6 wheeze warts cant cool a geyser's pool

depends on the flow rate - if you pump at full rate then no, if you trickle the flow it can be done no problem.

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

depends on the flow rate - if you pump at full rate then no, if you trickle the flow it can be done no problem.

This pump just transfers heat between gas and liquid, not hooked up to anything.

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

Think the implication was that heat transfers from one medium through the machine to the other medium as it is touching both.

As far as i'm aware, wheezeworts try and cool their immediate area before anything else - as they "suck up" gas from their surroundings. These picks just show how you're feeding them warm air constantly :D

Have you tried placing your wheezeworts at ground level and spacing them 2 tiles appart so that you can put your pumps between them ?

54 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

As far as i'm aware, wheezeworts try and cool their immediate area before anything else - as they "suck up" gas from their surroundings. These picks just show how you're feeding them warm air constantly :D

Have you tried placing your wheezeworts at ground level and spacing them 2 tiles appart so that you can put your pumps between them ?

Weezewort seems it sucks up gas through bottom, liquid on the ground prevent its cooling activity.

4 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Have you tested that, as i'm not sure that's necessarily true...

I've observed there being a vacuum over the planter box when I added their seed to it.

Edit: Yep they consume at offset 0,0 and emit at 0,1.

Archived