What's the most frustrating thing you see people frequently do?

- The question "Where's the base?"  the second they join

- Joining in Winter and summer and they scream "Help me! Help me!" all day every day until they die

- Digging up all the berry bushes especially those near spawn and around Goose spawns.  The bushes help identify where the spawns are and guess what?  you're not the only person playing.  Other people would like berries as well especially when they start.  Plus you don't need more than 10 berries really.  I mean honestly....YOU DON'T.  Plus you gonna leave at winter anyway and they gonna become diseased so why don't you just leave them in the ground for the longer lasting players. 

- SMASHING PIG HOUSES AND THE HOUND MOUNDS!!!!

- Leaving one hound mound, like thats good for anything.  Leaving 1 is the same as getting rid of all them.  Let me break it down for you, 1 hound mound spawns 3 hounds every 2-ish days (sometimes longer).  All the hound mounds spawn hounds all day every day. 

Those are the biggest ones

3 hours ago, Clwnbaby said:

- Joining in Winter and summer and they scream "Help me! Help me!" all day every day until they die

I don't really understand this one, i admit. I mean, you could filter server by season, if they can't survive winter or summer without preparation,

they should just avoid these season. I'm unable to survive summer without having some items at least, so i will not joing summer server. Winter i could if i manage to do a torch quickly, but it's always unfun (lot of turtling).

6 minutes ago, Lumina said:

I don't really understand this one, i admit. I mean, you could filter server by season, if they can't survive winter or summer without preparation,

they should just avoid these season. I'm unable to survive summer without having some items at least, so i will not joing summer server. Winter i could if i manage to do a torch quickly, but it's always unfun (lot of turtling).

Most of them don't understand this, or even realize that you can tell what the season is from looking at the server list. Even the ones who understand that summer and winter offer big challenges to a starting player often seem surprised when they join and discover it's summer or winter. Plenty of new players have never even made it to summer.

4 hours ago, Clwnbaby said:

- SMASHING .. THE HOUND MOUNDS!!!!

- Leaving one hound mound, like thats good for anything.  Leaving 1 is the same as getting rid of all them.  Let me break it down for you, 1 hound mound spawns 3 hounds every 2-ish days (sometimes longer).  All the hound mounds spawn hounds all day every day.

Again some "reality-check" by statistical means in live pubs (random dedicated servers, survival type - as that's my playground) is welcomed: the vast majority of regular players interact with hound mounds from DF's desert by 1 mean and 1 mean only - dying by said hounds. Or getting HP crippled when running into them. They wonder there by accident or looking for tumbleweeds and right into dog territory totally unprepared just to thicken the ghost population on server immediately after. What is the percentage of players that actually farm said mounds from your example? From personal experience (again: on vanilla dedicated survival servers) in all my 1.7k+ h spent in game (probably more than half on mentioned servers): I think 2 or 3 players camped close to DF' desert exploiting hound mounds. And this makes the 'problem' of destroying "hell-dog" mounds kinda another superfluous one (but a happy occurrence for them regulars - "Hey: not dying by desert dogs, yeey!"). As a side note: the number of people in public pubs destroying the mounds is just a bit higher than the farming ones.

With this I can point to another "frustrating thing you see (a really small minority/number of)people (not)frequently do": throwing a tantrum in chat about picking flowers or destroying hound mounds when they themselves are not even farming said resources and/or leave by winter time (bonus if they die in a classic way mid autumn; increased bonus if I can read upper-screen "Player N+1 was killed by Catcoon" - just absolutely gorgeous!).

Number ONE most frustrating thing when playing with players (when no Wicker). The first 21 they explore and then spend many days creating an unproductive base... planting a lot of farms + grass + sapplings + berry bushes and then getting 100x manure to then fertilize them all... And they dont even get to grow! when winter is coming.... wastee offf timmee.

6 hours ago, Clwnbaby said:

Plus you gonna leave at winter anyway and they gonna become diseased so why don't you just leave them in the ground for the longer lasting players. 

I never faced disease before.. don't you get a warning while harvesting when something is about to become diseased? :wilsondisapproving: I always thought, if you have only 10-15 berry bushes it should not be that big of a problem to just undig them all once disease appear and plant them later on, right? All you are going to be "missing" is manure if I understand this correctly. Please clarify for a noob like me :( 

45 minutes ago, Onetel21 said:

I never faced disease before.. don't you get a warning while harvesting when something is about to become diseased? :wilsondisapproving: I always thought, if you have only 10-15 berry bushes it should not be that big of a problem to just undig them all once disease appear and plant them later on, right? All you are going to be "missing" is manure if I understand this correctly. Please clarify for a noob like me :( 

You get a warning when you harvest berries, grass, twigs. But sometimes, when you're in the caves or elsewhere, you usually don't harvest anything from your plants or maybe don't need to and getting distracted in ds is veeeeery easy. So yeah. I lost all my berry bushes : D

You're right though, you could just dig them up occasionally and they'll be fine (if you're not lazy as I am)

1 hour ago, disies said:

You get a warning when you harvest berries, grass, twigs. But sometimes, when you're in the caves or elsewhere, you usually don't harvest anything from your plants or maybe don't need to and getting distracted in ds is veeeeery easy. So yeah. I lost all my berry bushes : D

You're right though, you could just dig them up occasionally and they'll be fine (if you're not lazy as I am)

That's bad though.. i mean a plant should not catch diseases if you don't harvest them.. how would they catch it? :wilson_shocked: Furthermore they could change the mechanic so that you are forced to use a special type of manure to prevent it maybe. Having to always replant them is such a bad idea. Klei pls?

1) Upon joining "Where's the base?"

2) Trophy hunters/Liars (it's a HUGE problem in the PS4 DST community) these trophy hunters doesn't care about the game, they just want to join someone's dedicated server to take the easy way out to earn all the PS4 DST trophies. I've had these type of players joining my previous worlds just to earn trophies, they come into my base storming through the chests, taking mats to build duplicate items (eg. science machine, alchemy engine, shadow manipulator, etc...) just so they can earn the trophy for building it.

-I had a webber player who did this and had the audacity to ask me to go out and get him nightmare fuels & bunnies so he can build an extra shadow manipulator "Can you get me nightmare fuels and bunnies, I need to build a shadow manipulator". I booted him out after I saw that he build multiple items in the base for trophy purposes, he wasn't the only player that did this to me though. Most just come in and wants me to TAKE CARE of them so they can earn their trophies for surviving for 70 days. These players literally does NOTHING to contribute, they sit in the base eating all the food, making demands and just stay as useless as ever...

After going through so many of these incidents, I've decided to start a new world with password protected to avoid leeches/lazy players who wants to take the easy way out to earn the trophies but it didn't stop people who I thought I could trust from doing this to me.

-Had a "trusted" PSN friend who joined my password protected server to try to earn the "Domesticate a wild beefalo" trophy, he picked a beefalo started to ride it and then he took ALL the food I made from the fridge to feed the beefalo and FAILED to domesticate a beefalo (he always brags to be an expert in DST & usually put people down who he thinks isn't on his "level") yet failed to understand the basics he got attacked by the beefalo he was trying to domesticate because it was mating season, he said "great, I just lost all progress to domesticate this beefalo", even I knew that players have to use beefalo hat during domestication in case of mating season... this guy is far from expert anyway, he raged more and left my server after using a lot of resources. After this incident, I changed the password, this guy didn't know that I changed the password but he goes and share my old password to a bunch of his DST friends.

-I've received a lot of PSN messages from randoms asking if they could join my world so they can earn achievements (they were very direct about it), I would tell them no, they would say "I know your password, its ***************" which is how I knew that guy shared my old password to other random players to come in and use my server to earn trophies. I'm glad I acted quickly and changed the password after he rage quit my server, otherwise randoms would be entering my world if the password was still working.

-Random trophy hunters who lies to try to get into my world to earn trophies. They send me a PSN friend request, then messages me asking for the password to enter my world. I ask who they are and why do they want to come into my world, they always say "I'm bored, I want to help you. I'm pro in DST". I've never asked for any help, especially from strangers who sent me a friend request and randomly messages me like that, so whenever I get messages like this I always check their PSN profile DST Trophy progress and they have not even earned the Survive 20 days trophy, let alone the trophies for killing bosses.. I confront them and they still say this "I'm pro, I promise.. I have everything down in PC version" lol, I still decline letting them into my world, they go and start sending me a bunch of PSN sad emojis and voice recordings of them crying or some weird stuff. 

PS. This actually happened to me, my world is 2611 days now and I get targeted a lot by randoms wanting to join. I'm not making anything up, I have all the PSN messages of these people but I don't think I could share it here in the forums.

3) Players who lack common courtesy and have no manners.

-They ask if they can take something to use, but after a while they call it their own. Had a player who asked if he could take Glommer for a walk & Chester to gather resources, after a while he died and said "Don't touch my stuff, don't take my Glommer and Chester!!!!!" 

-Players/Trolls who take rare items saying they will go kill Ancient Guardian, explore the cave, etc... Takes all the good weapons, rare stuff... go into the caves and then leaves the server. Leaving the host to go scavenger hunt for all the items.

-Players who take bunch of stuff just to logout/leave the server. This is literally STEALING, once they logout/leave the server with the items in their inventory there's NO way for the host to retrieve it.  I've lost a krampus sack along with many other rare items which is why my server is no longer open to the public.

-Users: Players who has their own big world, asks you to help them in return they will help you back in your server but once you're done helping them in their world, they never keep their promise and ignores all of your PSN messages but still sends another invite to their world to help them again. 

-Players who starts to make random unwanted modifications to your base without your consent.

-LAZY players who sits in the base using all of the resources from chests and never refills it but demands you to go gather more for them. "We are out of rocks, are you near rock biome? Get more, pls"

4) Trolls/Griefers/Jerks

-Webbers that joins random servers just to plant their spider egg in the portal to kill other players (I've seen a lot of this lately, even in official Klei servers. I've joined a few official klei only to be attacked by a tier 3 spider den in the portal)

-Wickerbottoms that plants tentacle traps in the portal to kill players. (This is by far the worst thing I've experienced upon joining random public server, the server that had this trap at the portal, had the server title: Help kill Ancient Guardian, it was nothing but a trap to lure innocent players in to get killed in the portal.) I joined this server in hopes to help the host kill Ancient Guardian only to see a pile of skeletons in the portal and tentacles trying to slap me to death.... 

-Base burners, when I started to play DST I've encountered these type of players who burned down my base and because I was new to the game I didn't know about rollbacks.

-Players who set a public server without password but kicks & ban anyones who wants to join. What's the point of having it open if you don't want players to join you? I don't get it. When I was semi-new, I would try to join random worlds to try learn more & play with them but they always ban/kick me right at the start when I'm still picking my character without any warning. 

7 hours ago, jesuisralph said:

2) Trophy hunters

Wait really? I thought the Accomplishrine or whatever it was called was meant to fill the place of trophies? Or is that singleplayer only?

7 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

That rant makes me extra grateful that Klei doesn't endorse achievements on Steam

Well, doesn't endorse achievements for Don't Starve. Klei has made other games you know!

@jesuisralph your stories sound horrible, i really hope you already got the "If You Build It They Will Come" ( Hosted a public world for 40 consecutive days. ) and "These Kids are our Future" ( Hosted a public world for 40 consecutive days. ) for yourself (so you don't have to do any of that anymore), and also shared your true emotions to them lol

yeah, i checked the psn trophies, and you know what, not your momma is epic, i'd say.

also there's not build houndius shootius trophy, time to riot

on second thought, i drew a connection between trophy hunters and tentacle spawners - what if they suffer just like you and make that very rude barrier between newbs and pr0s - what if they are coop material, they already know how to make damn book (could also be filthy 40 days open server hunters or just trolls though)

@Cyberboy2000

Here's the list: http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/dont-starve-together/trophies/

2 hours ago, brbrmensch said:

@jesuisralph your stories sound horrible, i really hope you already got the "If You Build It They Will Come" ( Hosted a public world for 40 consecutive days. ) and "These Kids are our Future" ( Hosted a public world for 40 consecutive days. ) for yourself (so you don't have to do any of that anymore), and also shared your true emotions to them lol

yeah, i checked the psn trophies, and you know what, not your momma is epic, i'd say.

also there's not build houndius shootius trophy, time to riot

on second thought, i drew a connection between trophy hunters and tentacle spawners - what if they suffer just like you and make that very rude barrier between newbs and pr0s - what if they are coop material, they already know how to make damn book (could also be filthy 40 days open server hunters or just trolls though)

lol, this is funny cause I'm only missing Hosted a public world for 40 consecutive days trophy to get the platinum. It's been missing for a very long time, not sure if I will ever host a public server just for a trophy as I don't care much for trophies. I got the other ones early ones you've mentioned very early on when people abused me and used my server to get trophies, I didn't even know a trophy would pop for those.. all of my trophies came naturally by playing and enjoying the game. The people I'm talking about in this threat are the type of players that don't care for the gameplay at all, they just want to get the trophy and get out... 

I agree with the tentacle spawner comment, but after going through that it left a very bad taste that I don't even join other people's server anymore. When I'm bored with my world, I join Klei official to play a little bit with others (which I've encountered plenty of tier 1, 2 and 3 spider dens in the portal) haven't seen tentacles in the spawn yet.

On 4/9/2017 at 4:09 AM, Thieverpedia said:

-Using my jerky to make meatballs

-Like your dislike, players asking where the base is

-Noobs not leaving the base and being productive

-Not upkeeping the base. Hang more meats, planting more seeds, replanting mushroom planter, etc.

-Facetanking. Leads to unneccesary deaths, meaning either I sacrifice my health to revive them or boot them.

-Pestering. Now, I'm a patient guy. I love helping new players. But I can't stand it when they relentlessly pester me for items when they could go out and get them themselves instead of chilling at the base.

-Insta-kicking me just because I chose Webber. I get that he's a griefer character for many, but not all of us are naughty...

-Maybe just me being nitpicky, but an unorganized base. Doesn't have to be a perfect megabase, but come on...have a little skill in organizing.

-Dead players wasting touch stones. Save them for absolute emergencies! Everyone's dead on the world? Use it. Died to a tentacle? Ask for a revive or leave until called back.

-Backpack thieves. My passion for them burns hotter than a thousand suns. Seriously, that's my backpack. Just because I left it there doesn't mean it's free for the taking. It's because of them that I wouldn't ever drop a krampus sack or piggyback nearby.

-Last and probably least, hoarders. Tons of items on them, without thinking of sharing. I know many are used to singleplayer, but this is a group effort. At least share supplies with those who ask. Maybe drop flint at the portal and not harvest every little thing you find.

Welp, that's my list. Have at it.

So much yes to everything you said.  I never use jerky for meatballs because it's used to build sanity.  I can just hunt frogs or spiders if I'm really want meatballs that bad.

I get paranoid of griefers when they do that.

I hate people who just chill at the base and constantly ask, "anyone have rocks?", "anyone have grass?", "anyone have X?", "anyone have Y?"  I get that sometimes people have different styles of play and may not be the type to stockpile on a bunch of supplies (I personally hate picking 80 twigs/grass and constantly chopping and replanting trees, but I know I HAVE to do it), but I can't deal with people who just sit at the base and expect people to serve them.  Get off your butt and do something!

I don't instantly kick people out, though I do get nervous and tend to try to observe them.

Wasting touchstones and other supplies.  I've had a noob use up two of my tents within 12 days.  It's ridiculous at that point and it's annoying.  To add insult to injury (pun intended), he just stayed at the base eating.  What damage does he have?

I'm honestly use to back pack thieves.  I generally take the items out of my backpack before I drop it down.  It sucks that I have to even do that, but people will people I guess.

I'm a slight hoarder.  I generally stock a lot of grass/twigs/rocks/wood/gold/etc. in the chest.  Though I tend to hold on to gears, some silk, and other rare items because people will literally waste it and do dumb things with them.  I hate doing that, but I've been burned many times and I really don't want to risk it.  Though I do make an icebox and other things with them that everyone else can use.

On 4/21/2017 at 0:50 PM, Palecwsmalec1 said:

"Hey what do i do with blue mushrooms?"

"Cook them for sanity or throw them away."

QQ0Cegp.png

As for other cases, i've seen people...

• Pick flowers around bee boxes
  • Hog the ice box and crock pot while a bunch of people are starving there desperately looking for emergency food
  • Blatantly ignore you when they clearly have enough time to type because they're sitting at base doing absolutely nothing
  • Constantly command other players to do whatever "because we need it" while barely doing anything themselves
  • Haunt everything when they're a ghost, with terrible results (haunting the crock pot which ruins all food, or changing hounds into fire hounds)
  • Follow you around and constantly pick up stuff that you try to collect without asking or bothering to help at all
  • Not use their character's main ability (i swear, the amount of Maxwells i see chopping trees with an axe and never using their book and nightmare fuel...)

Now the above is of course, mostly just uninformed and possibly unintentionally rude acts. You can tell those people to stop (it just doesn't always work).

What's below is plain griefing and terrible behavior.

• Burning/destroying people's bases and then calling them noobs, before crying about how somehow THEY were terribly abused because some guy didn't tell them how to get to base.
  • Placing a spider nest at spawn.
  • Stealing from dead players' bodies.. while they're still on the server... while they're still next to their corpse... while they're still telling others not to steal the items, because they'll be revived soon... Why would you do this? who does this rude bullcrap just because they saw some goodies on the ground? (Note that when a player ragequits or decides not to play on the server anymore, it's fine to take their items IMO. It's up to you whether you want to take that stuff though)

Aaaand that's about it. I'm glad there's a thread where i can vent about all the annoying crap people do when playing DST.

I've seen another side of this, that made me mad.  A guy was sitting at the base ALL DAY, but died as soon as he opened the icebox to starvation.  Like?  You were at the base all day and no one was at the icebox for like 1 minute.  You couldn't eat some meatballs in that time?  You had to wait for your hunger to drain that much?

Ah yes.  The lazy people that constantly pester you for supplies while they sit at the base doing nothing.

One person on here called them Shipwrecked Monkeys.  

I've seen it played straight, and I've seen it reversed.  I've seen many Webbers be super dumb.  Like, they don't plant their spider nest a safe distance away, they don't make a razor to shave their silk beard, nothing.  I honestly don't like many of the Webbers because of that.  Shout out the the Maxwells that don't take any nightmare fuel they find.  Then again, I've seen people use their strengths without much thought.  Like, I've seen Woodies chopping down trees and spawning tree guardians.  I've seen Wigfrids just start randomly attacking things, including 3 tier spider nests, without much thought what so ever.

On 4/22/2017 at 3:43 AM, Silens said:

1. I pick flowers away from spawn and mostly near the mass bee area. Dont tell me to not pick them because i will pick 40 early game. You wanna farm butterflies , do yourself a favour and plant 20 flowers to farm those , doesnt take more than a day. The thing is most people who keeps whining about not picking flowers never ever farms butterflies , atleast in public servers.

2. If you want gears ask and take. Atleast be courteous to leave 4 gears for 2 ice-flingo for base.I do not want to tumbleweed for gears .If i play WX and has to leave i die to gv gears to other players.But it would be too much to ask i guess.

3. You wanna play safe ,your choice. Just leave base on day 30 when everyone is asking you to.

4. Please dont eat jerky. There's a tent to be used for ur health/sanity needs.When you have taken the pain of making drying racks and drying meats every day , it can be frustrating to not be able to get even 1 jerky when needed :"(

5. Please stop storing stuff in random chests when i have taken the pain of drawing on every chest. Not hard to store them where u took them from right guys?

6. Please dont hoard items in your inventory .Only take what's needed. Not everyone is good at farming nightmare fuel , if i am saving up for the magic thing. Please dont take it just to hoard.

7. Please dont drop ur unwanted tools at base. Atleast drop them on the sides of the  base and drop all at one location. Why do you wanna live in a untidy base?

8. It can also be frustrating if you build random stuff at random places at base or makes fist full of jams.But it's ok as there are new players but i request if you are new ,dont hesitate to ask. There maybe a few D-Bags like in this forums posts who are annoyed at too much chat but there are a lot of people who would be very happy to share whatever they know with you , maybe wrong at times ,but atleast you will learn something new and playing game with interacting with other players is fun rather than just being dumb and playing on your own in Dont Starve "Together".

EDIT : Opps , Forgot the most frustrating thing. Everything i stated above is bearable by me but what i cant bear is people regenerating world. If you see a player above day 5 , please dont regenerate the guy has spent over 40 mins playing.It doesn't matter if it happens to me or someone else. I see it all the time. I join a server on day 15 with one player on 15 and rest just recently joined and vote to regenerate. Please dont .why you wanna make that 15 day guy sad if you think you cant prepare youself for winter is 5 days just leave and join other server. How would you feel if it happened to you.

Please Do what you would expect others to do for you. If someone new joins and whether or not he asks for a flint please gv the poor soul a couple of flints if you can spare ,wouldnt you want it if you just joined the game?

Just two silk, grass, and twigs so you can catch 10 butterflies.  It's not that hard, but some people swear it's the worst thing in the world.

Meh.  I generally don't build ice flingos.  They are a giant waste of resources.  I generally camp in the cave for the summer, and use just one gear to build an icebox.  1 or 2 gears (if there are 4+ people camping underground, then use 2 iceboxes) vs 4 is a better use of resources.

I never encountered that, but what a prickish move.  I generally join a base that's 5 or below days.  I personally prefer 3 and less, but I will pick a day 5 one if I have to.

37 minutes ago, LuxuryHeart said:

Meh.  I generally don't build ice flingos.  They are a giant waste of resources.  I generally camp in the cave for the summer, and use just one gear to build an icebox.  1 or 2 gears (if there are 4+ people camping underground, then use 2 iceboxes) vs 4 is a better use of resources.

I usually camp in cave for summer, but one ice flingomatic seems a good idea since people could come in the base during summer when you are in cave and you don't want to lost it all because of one people.

17 hours ago, jesuisralph said:

-LAZY players who sits in the base using all of the resources from chests and never refills it but demands you to go gather more for them. "We are out of rocks, are you near rock biome? Get more, pls"

Some people seems afraid to leave the base. What i don't understand is people staying at base, and doing nothing by themselves. Replanting seeds on farm or fertilizing berries, for example, or cutting some trees. I mean, if you don't know what to do, even cutting trees is better than doing nothing and waiting.

17 hours ago, jesuisralph said:

-Players who set a public server without password but kicks & ban anyones who wants to join. What's the point of having it open if you don't want players to join you? I don't get it. When I was semi-new, I would try to join random worlds to try learn more & play with them but they always ban/kick me right at the start when I'm still picking my character without any warning. 

I don't understand why this happen, there is plenty of options, friends, steam group, password... They just have to pick one.

1 hour ago, Lumina said:

I don't understand why this happen, there is plenty of options, friends, steam group, password... They just have to pick one.

Laziness, stupidity and ignorance.

It's easier to just make a random world, give it a name and just click the start game button than actually setting up a password so as to not have to ban random newcomers every 5 minutes.

You know, this reminds me of a weird experience i had on a public server. It was just 2 players: me and the host. We got pretty friendly with each other, but suddenly she began kicking me. I came in and asked what was going on: she said that "her cousin was over" Now, i assume that her cousin was intentionally using the kick command to spoil my day, as younger kids do - but it felt kind of ingenuine. I kept coming back and she kept greeting me like nothing was wrong until i finally got banned. I have no idea whether she was quietly trying to get me off the server and trying to be polite about it, or if her actual cousin decided to ban me for no reason. Either way, i got a bit offended.

Archived