Has any motion picture work had updates like games do?

EuedeAdodooedoe

Many games today get updates and that allows them to be improved, not only by having new stuff added, but also by improving/changing/tweaking stuff that already exists.

For motion picture, that doesn't seem to be the case... Whether it be films, serials, cartoons, anime etc. All have typically a chain of events that upon release are not changed, or if are, then barely, with pretty much insignificant changes and you pretty much have to get it right upon release, or not, and what you put out there is to stay there like that forever.

Why is that?

For instance, there are anime that I very much like for multiple reasons, but in the end might rough around the edges (e.g. Deadman Wonderland) or... Well, just plain **** (e.g. Mirai Nikki). And what's out there is there to stay.

You might get a remake or (in an unfortunate case) a reboot. But then it's a completely different thing on its own. In comparison to games, that would be like creating a completely new game entirely.

Couldn't the old/removed parts simply be archived? Or a movie/series having different versions, kind of like games do?

So, that all said, as the title asks, has there been anything that is motion picture that has done this? And how did it turn out?

I don't have much to add but,

1 minute ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

For instance, there are anime that I very much like for multiple reasons, but in the end might rough around the edges (e.g. Deadman Wonderland)

Deadman Wonderland's anime was discontinued. It never got an end.

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

I don't have much to add but,

Deadman Wonderland's anime was discontinued. It never got an end.

Oh, right, sorry, I was mixing it up a little with the manga, since I read that. Though I've heard they want to bring it back up. Even then, the 12 episodes they brought through weren't too bad.

I wonder how different the various motion-picture industries, and by the looks of it, a lot of other industries with high story telling elements being core part of the works, would be like if they got updated more like games do, and how this would work exactly.

2 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Couldn't the old/removed parts simply be archived? Or a movie/series having different versions, kind of like games do?

You see, in most video game remakes, they update the textures and music, sometimes they decompress old audio files.

There are some games that archive the old texture, music and voice files, for example: The Day of the Tentacle had an optional retro mode. And the Monkey Island Remasters added new voice files, updated textures and I think remade the music, and you can play the retro version of that too, without the voice files. 

But with movies and series', that much more challenging. With movies, even movie sagas, reanimating them takes lots of time, especially in 2D movies. Animation isn't exactly the easiest thing, you have to draw each frame, and sometimes, it could take hours, days, weeks, or months to animate a single scene. To have a group go scene-by-scene to update how a movie looks takes lots of time and can be really impractical compared to a live action movie. And then with 3D (CGI) movies, updating the movie's visuals can be just as, if not more time consuming.

Archived