"Fixing" max gas pressure for electrolyzer

So after some testing i found way around electrolyzer stopping because of max gas pressure tag. It is pretty simple all you need to do is to build electrolyzer in 2x2 room with open top than drop few grams of polluted water inside, after that few more grams of pure water ant that should do the trick. Just don't forget to prevent dupes from taking pure water.

There are two ways how to do this. Easier one is to build closed 2 wide 3 high room with previous setup. Than remove top corners  and place in 2 tiles above water. This is to remove any gas that may be left in chamber. After that just remove right tile. I didn't try to remove top tiles after, but if you left them there oxygen pressure will continue to rise up. I got over 3 tons in one tile. Second way is similar, but timing sensitive. Left tile above water have to be placed in spot after electrolyzer runs for some time, so there is hydrogen and oxygen in chamber. And in a moment of building there, have to be hydrogen. 

PS: I wrote "not" build correctly because i don't think that one dupe should be able to make enough oxygen for 24 more dupes. But so it have to be build correctly with 2 pumps and filters so you still pay price in energy, but electrolyzer wont stop due to slow gas movement.

11 minutes ago, SkyraSK said:

There are two ways how to do this. Easier one is to build closed 2 wide 3 high room with previous setup. Than remove top corners  and place in 2 tiles above water. This is to remove any gas that may be left in chamber. After that just remove right tile. I didn't try to remove top tiles after, but if you left them there oxygen pressure will continue to rise up. I got over 3 tons in one tile. Second way is similar, but timing sensitive. Left tile above water have to be placed in spot after electrolyzer runs for some time, so there is hydrogen and oxygen in chamber. And in a moment of building there, have to be hydrogen. 

PS: I wrote "not" build correctly because i don't think that one dupe should be able to make enough oxygen for 24 more dupes. But so it have to be build correctly with 2 pumps and filters so you still pay price in energy, but electrolyzer wont stop due to slow gas movement.

I don't think that I'm understanding this correctly. Does the end result look something like one of these?

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Setup on yours firs picture needs to remove top 2 tiles in middle to prevent from getting max gas pressure tag. and place missing tile on right.

Something like this. but you can remove or replace top tiles so gas can flow without problem.

oni electrolyzer setup.bmp

My second picture show how can be this method exploited to produce only oxygen.

oni electrolyzer setup2.bmp

2 minutes ago, Erasmus Crowley said:

That needs to be an actual released feature, like right now. :o

Sadly can't have 2 outputs. Only one allowed by the building definition.
Could have multiple dispensers with a different filter on each otherwise.

1 hour ago, SkyraSK said:

Setup on yours firs picture needs to remove top 2 tiles in middle to prevent from getting max gas pressure tag. and place missing tile on right.

Something like this. but you can remove or replace top tiles so gas can flow without problem.

oni electrolyzer setup.bmp

My second picture show how can be this method exploited to produce only oxygen.

oni electrolyzer setup2.bmp

Exactly as I thought you would built.  However, you're still making both gasses.  The hydrogen is simply trapped in a corner, forever, due to the liquid tile.  So it's clearly not that you are only producing oxygen, but that one gas is automatically trapped.

16 minutes ago, Fatmice said:

Hacking together methods don't count.  :p

Oh don't worry. I'm hacking in a fix for it. Will see how well the program-wide patch functions in a few hours.

17 minutes ago, Risu said:

Oh don't worry. I'm hacking in a fix for it. Will see how well the program-wide patch functions in a few hours.

*High five !*  19 minutes more of waiting for twitch stream :p

This is officially my favorite exploit found so far. :D

An interesting note about it though, for people who don't mind abusing such things. This doesn't make the electrolyzers more reliable or efficient. They still turn off and on regularly. The difference is that they do so in cycles, and it doesn't matter what the gas pressure is, they'll maintain that cycle. So you can have a few of them running in parallel and supply everyone with O2 by sheer gas pressure, so you can skip worrying about pumping air around.

Untitled.png

7 minutes ago, jeneah said:

Why does this work? What is the role of the liquid?

The electrolyzer checks the mass of the four tile spaces that it occupies. The liquids fill those four spaces. This way, when the electrolyzer checks to see how much mass is around it, it only sees the mass of the liquid, and not the mass of the gasses in your base. Since there is very little liquid actually used, the electrolyzer never detects enough mass to be overpressured.

If you were to fill all four spaces with one liquid, the bottom two tiles of liquid would be too dense, and the machine would stop working and say that it was underwater. By stacking two liquids that don't mix, each layer can be very low density, but still take up all four spaces.

1 hour ago, Risu said:

Rewriting literally the entire pipe code turned out to be very tedious and boring so I went with a compromise.
Dump out oxygen like before and store hydrogen for the pipe.20170407180520_1.jpg

I like your rewrite.

Archived