Danganronpa

Morgan17

Danganronpa. You've probably heard of it, right? Even if you haven't, sit down and buckle up kiddo cuz I'm gonna explain it whether you want me to or not.

Danganronpa is a murder-mystery/visual novel game similar to Phoenix Wright. However, instead of a blue-suited porcupine-haired lawyer vs. the world, its a high school kid vs. 15 other high school kids. The basic premise is 16 kids locked in a school by a half-black half-white bear with a red eye, and the only way out is to kill one of the other students, and not get caught in the class trial. Sounds like a bloody good time, right? Well, what if all 16 of these kids had a special talent, and they represented the future of the world?

The basic rules of the class trial are as follows:

1. Once a student has been murdered and the body has been discovered by three different people, all living students are given a period of time in which they are allowed to do whatever they want-primarily investigate-before the class trial begins.

2. Class trial attendance is mandatory. Anyone who does not attend will be executed.

3. The purpose of the class trial is to figure out who committed the murder, known as the "blackened" from here on out. The blackened will be decided with a majority vote.

4. If all other students successfully discover who the blackened is, they alone with be executed, and everyone else will be left alive. Anyone who interferes with the execution will be killed as well.

5. In the event that all other students choose the wrong person, the blackened will get away scott free, and everyone else will be executed.

6. If the blackened is discovered, all remaining students must continue the killing game until two students remain, or until the mastermind is found.

So yea, that's basically Danganronpa. If you want to play it, DR1 and DR2 are available on the PS Vita and Steam. It's best to go on without spoilers, so if you wish to discuss the game here, do NOT spoil anyone.

4 hours ago, Mobbstar said:

There's a second dang already? wow.

And a spinoff, and three anime, and a VR demo, and third game comes out this year. Yep.
Also, the second game came out a whooping five years ago. It just took years for the series to be translated.

Dangan, Dangan, Dangan. My first exposure to the series was back in 2011, I believe, with the original on PSP. The Academy of Hope and Students of Despair - a much more entertaining subtitle than Trigger Happy Havok, to be honest. I did like it, Monokuma was an entertaining little bastard. Failed to care about majority of the characters, though.

Kinda forgot about the series until the localization announcement appeared two years later, and both games were released the same year, 2014, which was a bit surprising. Bought them both. Although it was noticaeble that the localization of Super Danganronpa was somewhat rushed, I've enjoyed it much more than the first one. Mainly because the cast was more interesting this time around. Hajime was a better MC than Makoto. Also, Komaeda... to hell with Komaeda.

Didn't like the Ultra Despair Girls at all. Just... ech. Will get the third game... eventually.

Also, a note: I did some research in the development history of the then-not-even-a-series shortly after playing the first game, and, well, original concept sounded darker and more interesting. Danganronpa is fine, but I would gladly take Distrust over it. That wonderful black-and-red colour scheme, oh yes. I didn't get my fix of randomized killers/traitors and desperate attempts to stay alive, hold the trial and weed out the enemy until Lost Dimension rolled around. And even then I feared that it wouldn't be picked up for localisation...

3 hours ago, Net Spectre said:

Also, a note: I did some research in the development history of the then-not-even-a-series shortly after playing the first game, and, well, original concept sounded darker and more interesting. Danganronpa is fine, but I would gladly take Distrust over it. That wonderful black-and-red colour scheme, oh yes. I didn't get my fix of randomized killers/traitors and desperate attempts to stay alive, hold the trial and weed out the enemy until Lost Dimension rolled around. And even then I feared that it wouldn't be picked up for localisation...

Honestly, I much prefer the current Danganronpa. Sure, a straight campaign isn't as interesting, but it's much better than replaying the game multiple times just to get different executions and endings when there's 15 other characters. Though I do much prefer Monokuma's beta design.

Distrust wasn't possible anyways, as it would take up too much time to develop and storage to process on the PSP.

Archived