More alternatives for fuel/energy

I've noticed that a lot of the buildings have a reliance on material that starts becoming scarce the more you expand like coal and algae. You can convert slime into algae and that's good, but there's only one way to obtain coal for the coal generator and it starts to become harder to maintain them as coal starts becoming less common. The only alternative is the hydrogen generator but it's not nearly as reliable. 

Water would be a good source for a generator, since while it's also a limited resource you are able to recycle contaminated water and re-use it unlike everything else. 

Quick fixes here:

1. for coal - you can get some pet hatches and feed them minerals during night, so that they produce coal.

2.for hydrogen - you can get the electrolyser - which consumes water to produce oxygen and hydrogen, and then use the hydrogen as energy source. (This makes no sense - in reality you would just have lost energy, because hydrogen engines would consume hydrogen and oxygen and produce water - the opposite of the electrolyser)

There's talk of nuclear energy, and there's a resource just for that purpose.

I'm thinking more on geothermal energy for now. We cannot rely on fans for energy in an asteroid, and there's definitely no solar output as well.

But there's another option - ethanol plants.

Not very powerful, but very environmentally friendly. So... points to my techs branching from farming and fine dining.

Create a steam turbine which convert the thermical energy into electrical energy.

Eventually, create another sort of combustion furnace to make a decay food or other waste utility, which can create a lot of heat by burning them. Use this to make steam.

It should be a nice solution to get an eternal source of energy (thanks to geysers), actually the only way to have one is to make the dupes run.

i was thinking about maybe a water dam? like you could build near the bottom of a huge water pool then build a smaller pool for the water to flow. water could run threw it and produce energy? also yeah there is talk about nuclear energy. also here is another idea. maybe a certain custom crystal can be found to be used for energy?

New sources of power are definitely needed. The major roadblock I keep running into is not enough coal to keep my base going after about the 100 days mark. Everything after that becomes and endless struggle just to obtain coal no matter how well off I am. Geysers could be a good option to make power, as well as heat. Or just a way to create coal through some kind of refinement. A compressor could work. I also like the idea of farming hatches, but thered have to be a way to feed them since I don't think theres a way to remove items from storage and put it on the ground?

Perhaps a way to create animal enclosures with a food receptical of some kind.

On 30/3/2017 at 8:12 PM, ProfNox said:

Create a steam turbine which convert the thermical energy into electrical energy.

Eventually, create another sort of combustion furnace to make a decay food or other waste utility, which can create a lot of heat by burning them. Use this to make steam.

It should be a nice solution to get an eternal source of energy (thanks to geysers), actually the only way to have one is to make the dupes run.

This. There are not nearly enough ways to reuse waste heat and steam that are almost freely available. Maybe they are waiting until geysers are limited?

On 3/30/2017 at 7:36 PM, VillaEnders said:

i was thinking about maybe a water dam? like you could build near the bottom of a huge water pool then build a smaller pool for the water to flow. water could run threw it and produce energy? also yeah there is talk about nuclear energy. also here is another idea. maybe a certain custom crystal can be found to be used for energy?

use the water (or any liquid in fact) to create energie would be really nice. It will allow to have a clear way to get electricity.

12 minutes ago, oppay said:

use the water (or any liquid in fact) to create energie would be really nice. It will allow to have a clear way to get electricity.

Water -> Electrolyzer -> Hydrogen -> Hydrogen Generator -> Clean energy. As long as you don't deplete all the energy by building complex pumping systems around the Electrolyzer, in fact one pump, eventually one filter, and some dupes to get rid of the oxygen are completely sufficient.

The problem with the electrolyser method is that once you reach max gas pressure (which is about 1/2 the typical pressure I have!) you lose your ability to make the hydrogen that way, requiring you to go mine out the hydrogen/chlorine zones in a hurry. I've been building all kinds of hydrogen bubbles, chlorine containers, and CO2 dumps for the excess gases, but as soon as they reach "vent overpressure" I lose that one and have to make another. I did manage to create liquid chlorine and move it around but the number of worts was insane! I haven't been able to do it with thermoregulators because I'm utter crap at making the electrical system work. I've lost 3 colonies to power failure causes.

11 hours ago, n37runn3r said:

The problem with the electrolyser method is that once you reach max gas pressure (which is about 1/2 the typical pressure I have!) you lose your ability to make the hydrogen that way, requiring you to go mine out the hydrogen/chlorine zones in a hurry. I've been building all kinds of hydrogen bubbles, chlorine containers, and CO2 dumps for the excess gases, but as soon as they reach "vent overpressure" I lose that one and have to make another. I did manage to create liquid chlorine and move it around but the number of worts was insane! I haven't been able to do it with thermoregulators because I'm utter crap at making the electrical system work. I've lost 3 colonies to power failure causes.

I think you're pushing it too much. To keep your colony under maximum pressure, just give your dupes time to breathe the oxygen out. Take care of food in the meantime, or just let them run on hamster wheels. And consider power saving approaches, there are many things that can be done without using power, or using very little power and/or only when needed. Typical mistake is releasing a gas/liquid into a holding room/tank, then using another pump to get it back to the pipe. Or running a gas pump and filter to extract hydrogen full time when they can be made to pause for a while if they're not in hydrogen.

7 hours ago, Kasuha said:

I think you're pushing it too much. To keep your colony under maximum pressure, just give your dupes time to breathe the oxygen out. Take care of food in the meantime, or just let them run on hamster wheels. And consider power saving approaches, there are many things that can be done without using power, or using very little power and/or only when needed. Typical mistake is releasing a gas/liquid into a holding room/tank, then using another pump to get it back to the pipe. Or running a gas pump and filter to extract hydrogen full time when they can be made to pause for a while if they're not in hydrogen.

I think you're right. My instinct is to go around opening up all the oxygen right away, but it seems to make things worse. I was able to maintain the balance on this round for 700ish cycles, but then I had a massive "stifled" crisis and lost my blossom farm again because I couldn't move the gases around. The other experiment I tried was exploiting the air purifier (it cut my gas volume by 1/2) but then I ran out of air inside the base and had to go get some more from the ice and slime biomes.

Archived