Hatch not pooping coal!

Hey guys, i'm at cycle 100 and slowly running out of coal, caught one stray hatch and lock him in a box with some natural tiles for him to burrow. 

Hes eating resources but not pooping any coal! Its been a couple of cycles now. Is there a specific temperature or food he needs?

Thanks for the replies guys, do they poop daily?

I swear i've looked at the hatch entire night and he did not drop any coal, he just dive back in after hes eaten.

Maybe i'll try locking the door a couple of cycle and see how it goes.

They poop only after eating 150kg...this is around 1.25 days...They eat at least twice during the night, each time ingesting 50 kg.  If you don't let them sleep, they eat 3-4 times a day.  So they poop faster if you don't let them sleep.

Hatches eat once per minute, or 750 kg per cycle.

But Jyuu is right, something did change. In the first versions I played, they would eat and then drop their 125 kg coal. Now they sometimes eat a couple thousand kilograms stone/clay/whatever and don't produce coal. Then a couple minutes later all the coal shows up at once.

22 minutes ago, Methusalem said:

Hatches eat once per minute, or 750 kg per cycle.

But Jyuu is right, something did change. In the first versions I played, they would eat and then drop their 125 kg coal. Now they sometimes eat a couple thousand kilograms stone/clay/whatever and don't produce coal. Then a couple minutes later all the coal shows up at once.

A cycle is 600s or 10 minutes.  You sure about 750 kg?  That's 15 ingestion of 50kg, more than a cycle's worth of time.

1 minute ago, Fatmice said:

A cycle is 600s or 10 minutes.  You sure about 750 kg?  That's 15 ingestion of 50kg, more than a cycle's worth of time.

Unless it was recently changed, yes. They produce 125 kg coal per ingestion, 6 times per cycle.

3 minutes ago, Methusalem said:

Unless it was recently changed, yes. They produce 125 kg coal per ingestion, 6 times per cycle.

No that can't be right.  125kg of coal per ingestion of 50kg?  As recent as 211579, they ingest 3x50kg then poop 125kg, saving 25kg somewhere for the next pooping.  They walk around after they eat/poop.  If you can force them into a prison of 1 tile, maybe they will be more on "schedule" with the eating and pooping.  I've not tested if they will survive a 1x1 prison.

Okay, I've tested with 1x3 prison.  Hatch do not poop coal unless they change direction, which they can only do that if they travel.Hatch-start-753x1x3.png

Hatch-stop-754-1x3.png

Here's a 2x3 prison.

Hatch-start-753-2x3.png

Hatch-stop-754-2x3-copper.png

Hatch-stop-754-2x3-coal.png

Hatch eats 50kg per ingestion.  They eat three times then poop either 125 or 150 kg.  If they poop 125kg, they save the 25kg to be pooped on the second time.  It is a 1:1 conversion in the long run.  This short test shows that in a 2x3 prison, they eat exactly 900 kg per cycle and poop 825 kg of coal.  So they eat 18 times and poop 6 times (125+150+125+150+125+150), holding 25kg of poop in themselves every odd pooping.

Also note, they do not breathe.  Starting amount of copper ore was 5000kg.

49 minutes ago, Fatmice said:

No that can't be right.  125kg of coal per ingestion of 50kg?  As recent as 211579, they ingest 3x50kg then poop 125kg, saving 25kg somewhere for the next pooping.  They walk around after they eat/poop.  If you can force them into a prison of 1 tile, maybe they will be more on "schedule" with the eating and pooping.  I've not tested if they will survive a 1x1 prison.

I've just ran it for a cycle. Loaded up a compactor with granite and dropped it all at once. Then saved/reloaded the game after a full cycle, which seems to have them drop the coal. There are four hatches living on this tile.

wM4DKYI.jpg

3900 kg Granite eaten, 3500 kg Coal produced. The numbers might be off by a few kilograms, in previous versions it was exactly 3000/3000 per cycle. But over multiple cycles I'm convinced it will result in these numbers too.

Edit: Actually, the amount of coal is absolutely correct. They were eating the first granite the second I dropped it in. Then once every minute for the 3000 kg/cycle with four hatches. And I saved a few seconds to late, the remaining 500 kg ( = 4 x 125 kg) was already their first meal for the next cycle.

Wow, thanks for all the great information guys.

I have my hatch in a 3x2 prison but there is alot of debris in there. Maybe thats why it rarely changes direction? He just pops up eat and pops back in.

Maybe i'll make him a bigger space.

Also, how do you actually "herd" the hatches into one single space? Been trying to find information online but couldnt. 

Very unlike theres 10 hatches in a same given area...

8 minutes ago, Jyuu said:

Also, how do you actually "herd" the hatches into one single space? Been trying to find information online but couldnt. 

If by single space you mean a single living area, you do it slowly over time.  It is easier to herd them down, then it is to herd them up.  They don't die from falling, so you dig below them to make them drop down into or near the area that you prepared for them.

14 minutes ago, Jyuu said:

You can use the fact that they don't burrow into floor tiles. Pretty much build a path with (sometimes temporary) floor tiles along the way you want them to go and have only a single natural block for them to burrow into. This block is above their final farming space, sometimes dozens of rows higher.

Then, as Fatmice said, dig out the blocks under the hatch and it will fall all the way down.

The farm doesn't have to be large, in my case it's a single tile with a compactor on it. I drop the granite (or anything else) from the compactor, they will eat it and drop the coal either when they've eaten all the stone, the dupes swept the stone or I load the game. It's a (rather minor) addition to what sai05 was saying. The hatches will drop the coal if there is no debris on the tile - or if there is some coal already, even if that same tile also contains debris.

And really have the floor of your hatch farm made of something like tiles, gas tiles etc, not of a natural material. The hatches will stay up all day and keep producing coal.

So far for me, my hatches will no longer eat things that are stored away, and they will not poop coal onto a tile with any debris EXCEPT coal. In other words, I need cages to have at least 2 tiles wide, one tile with minerals out in the open to eat, and another tile for pooping out coal. BTW I'm running the thermal update patch, so that may be the reason 1-tile prisons won't work for me.

7 hours ago, Jyuu said:

OK I closed the game and reload it, and finally.. this little bastard pooped 2k load of coal at once.

Must be a bug...

No he was just constipated from eating sand like materials.  You should have fed him some algae.  Poor thing.  :p

Minerals only.

You can use this for maximun efficiency. Hatches will eat minerals in the right corner(unreachable without the mechanized door) and poop coal only in the left corner, which can be picked up whenever you want. When they ate all, open the door, refill and close.

1.png

I've got 9 hatches in my current save - I have them in a 6x2 enclosure. I've found that they will "hold on to" or build up a huge "dumping" of coal - whereby if i have the floor area filled with 20,000kg stacks of whatever, and no "free" space for them to.....relieve themselves..... then once one of the stacks disappears they'll drop a monster pile of coal, we're talking 35-40k - and above their heads will be a minute of "coal coal coal coal coal" spam and a glitchy audio effect like they're being hit with a Chun-li lightning kick....

I'll try and record it next time I do a coal-resupply, will take a day or so.

hatches.jpg

They really do their best to avoid interacting with ladders when they're doing anything but walking - so they never do their "pooping" animation whilst in front of a ladder space. I've used this in other testing to have a wide room for dumping minerals, but filling the room with ladder tiles so they can only drop it in one specific space.

Archived