The Hatch Basement

I so wanted to named this "The Hatch's Hatch", but the fear of one of the little dudes falling when the door open made me make it a basement instead.

So I basically started a new colony, and decided to hoard all the Hatches I found on the starting area into a small place, so this is what the final product looks like:

20170329205951_1.jpg

I added 3 paintings and a sculpture just they would feel more at home while eating garbage. but it reached a point where I had so many hatches that I forgot how many are actually inside the little cozy place, so I decided to use the decor tool to find out.

20170329205938_1.jpg

So a total of 8 hatches, and I don't know how much coal those thing produce, I am sitting at 110k coal right now and I wonder how many generators I can run without burning all my coal?

8 minutes ago, DonDegow said:

Here's a question from hatches protectionism activism; do you feed them with decent food? Clay?

I feed them with the sandstone, ice and polluted ice of best quality available.

43 minutes ago, Sicclee said:

I guess I don't understand how you move them. Do you just build behind them as they walk? how do you get them up or down?

I would be interested to hear how this is done too (as well as with the other critters)

2 hours ago, Sicclee said:

I guess I don't understand how you move them. Do you just build behind them as they walk? how do you get them up or down?

I can only get them down. It takes a lot of patience and time to lure them to specific spot by feeding them with mineral at desired spot. Fence (accessible after done Decoration research) is the best way to lock them.

1 - Build the fence (no tiles or obstacles above) at the location you want to lock them.

2 - Lure them by littering some mineral in the opposite side of the fence. The Hatches will jump over the fence, they then instantly fall down and get lock in the fence (I am not sure whether it is a bug or feature).

3 - Dig all beneath thing where you lock the hatches to the room built to contain them (Should be in straight line). The Hatches will vertically fall down to the room.

That's how I bring them down. To bring them up, I think, you can build tile stairs then lure them as you should done in the way bring them down. The Hatches can jump 2 tiles upward. But again, this takes much much longer and harder than bring them down. I have just practically brought them down only.

1 hour ago, Vilda said:

Last game I first checked every tile where hatches are burrowed (you can see on mouseover, then planned a layer where to gather them and finally dug a ladder line under each and everyone.

it can be seen ? it won't state as "Buried Object" ?

1 hour ago, Lafara said:

it can be seen ? it won't state as "Buried Object" ?

AFAIK A Hatch is never a buried Object. It can share it's tile. When you mouse over a tile that you know it burrowed by the little dirt top  you see it in description. The same is true for completely surrounded tiles.

20170330145530_1.jpg

Hatches show up when you hover over a block.

4mCiXPR.png

They are rather easy to move if you build floor tiles along the path, so that they can't burrow. They jump two tiles up or down, so it's possible to also move them vertically.

I've build a little place on both sides of my base with 4 Hatches each, enough to run 10 coal generators non-stop. ... Now if they would add the ability back, that hatches eat directly from the storage compactors ...

KbWYnva.jpg

11 hours ago, RKBKirin said:

I would be interested to hear how this is done too (as well as with the other critters)

11 hours ago, Sicclee said:

What I basically do is let them do their normal walk routine and just go building doors/ tiles to so they don't backtrack so much, they eventually go where you want them to go.

Interestingly, even designations of building will stop them burying themselves, you don't even have to build them.

This is not true of designated walls which block their path, they walk right through those.

On 3/30/2017 at 0:19 PM, Vicomt said:

Interestingly, even designations of building will stop them burying themselves, you don't even have to build them.

This is not true of designated walls which block their path, they walk right through those.

They must have some kind of limited (and flawed) telepathic abilities :)

Archived