Charlie's Sister [Spoilers]

At first, the developers making absolutely no official statement about anything after having just released the entirety of their road map for content was interesting and ominous.

Over a month later, now it's just what the actual hell. This is frustrating and needlessly disorienting, there's no novelty to it anymore.

Want to hear a secret. Do you know what you can do to build up hype for new content even more then being completely silent about it and withholding every drop of information.

Actually telling people what you plan on releasing, and when.

Christ forbid they do what literally every other developer team on the entire market does for the most part.

P.S

And if they told people about the concept for the Napsack prior to release. Maybe player feedback on how useless that item is compared to what you do to get it could of convinced them to make it actually useful.

P.S.S

But then again, if they did the same thing for the rest of the content maybe the list of useless items that could easily be buffed by changing single variables in the code would not be so colossal.

31 minutes ago, The Curator said:

I saw this in a lot of game. It's something like this

Team X : we plan to release an update on (insert date). It will bring news features (insert list)

Team X : we are sorry, we can't release things on (insert date).

Players are angry and insult devs, it's not so hard to keep a schedule, don't announce a date if you can't do it in time, stupids.

Or :

Team X : The new feature we planned isn't working well, we will abandon it.

Players are angry and insult devs, it's not so hard to code a thing, i am a coder and it's easy/it's not so hard to have an idea, here are some ideas, how can you be so stupid not having good ones ?

I saw this again, again and again. From studio with no experience, from veteran studio, from studio with small people working on the game, from big company.

No, it's not always a good thing to tell people what you plan on releasing and when. It could be, it could also be a very bad idea, if you are facing people unable to understand that sometimes, you must delay something or not add a feature.

I mean, people are hyping themselves about something that was never promised, or anything, and some like you are complaining out of nowhere and starting to tell devs how to manage their game and how they make bad choice because community would had done a better job.

If you are able to say things like this because a never promised update isn't coming, what if, like it could happen, a promised and planned update is delayed for good reasons ?

A climate of trust is needed for some informations to be shared, and even if this climate exist, this require more work. But you are among the players that make it not possible, because of this "it's so easy, noob, just change variable" and all this kind of stuff.

Especially since you are unable to see why it's important that a reward of the most difficult boss should not be too powerful.

57 minutes ago, The Curator said:

At first, the developers making absolutely no official statement about anything after having just released the entirety of their road map for content was interesting and ominous.

Over a month later, now it's just what the actual hell. This is frustrating and needlessly disorienting, there's no novelty to it anymore.

Want to hear a secret. Do you know what you can do to build up hype for new content even more then being completely silent about it and withholding every drop of information.

Christ forbid they do what literally every other developer team on the entire market does for the most part.

P.S

And if they told people about the concept for the Napsack prior to release. Maybe player feedback on how useless that item is compared to what you do to get it could of convinced them to make it actually useful.

P.S.S

But then again, if they did the same thing for the rest of the content maybe the list of useless items that could easily be buffed by changing single variables in the code would not be so colossal.

It's up to Klei's decision if they want to let us know what kind of future updates they have in mind. Like I sad in the other post, even if we datamine we still can't do anything about it. They have the power to choose if to release something related to ANR or not. What if the things we found about Charlie's sister was just a test project and we might not see it in the near future ? Some gaming companies do these kind of things. About the Napsack, in my opinion, they choose to make a ''useless'' item because they didn't wanted to force the players to kill the Mighty Toadstool. That's why they said ''it's a fun item''. Let's say it was something similar to bundling wrap and not the Napsack as item drop, everyone would complain ''why Klei put that OP item, I can't kill the Mighty Toadstool, please nerf''.

Overall , all that I want is a new road map ... it dosen't need to have details or dates in it , only news that something is indeed coming (confirmation) .

As it is I'm a bit worried that DS/DST(DS franchise) could be left behind ... That's why I want some news about it ... that in steamdb is all good but nothing sure . Because it could be a lot of things , no one can say for sure if it will be actually an content dlc , soundtracks or just ANR packet in one ...

The devs have said in the Klei stream that they are still working on DST. I don't need anything as detailed as roadmap with a schedule, but would appreciate something as general as "Expect no updates beyond bug fixes until the fall/2018/whatever." If the game is more or less finished for the immediate future, that's fine. It's a great game with lots of content in which I still haven't done everything. What is super disappointing, though, is hoping and expecting updates for whatever reason ("clues" in artwork, a holiday,etc.) and then getting nothing. The devs haven't led us to expect this stuff, but fans being what they are, hype builds over nothing. And it makes you feel bad when over and over you're hoping for something new and you don't get it. I would rather be told not to expect anything and then be pleasantly surprised, tbh. I understand why the devs don't want to commit to whatever they still might add to DST, but I wish they would let us know what NOT to expect, as they have with Shipwrecked Together.

I should add that I'm sure Klei is choosing to say nothing for the reasons Lumina mentions: They don't want to set up expectations that they might not be able to fulfill exactly as promised and then get a lot of flack for it. But for better or worse, the expectations are running high anyway, so they have nothing really to lose and could definitely help the situation by dispelling the false expectations that keep forming in the absence of any communication at all.

2 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

The devs have said in the Klei stream that they are still working on DST.

As far as i remember, it was "We are still working on DST, we aren't ready to speak about it yet".

So when they will be ready we'll know more. But dispelling false hopes and expectations ? I don't know how they could do that more than saying that. Because, i mean... People are hyping out of nowhere, but other people are just waiting for maybe an update, and are fine with it. If you tell me "there will be no update until fall", i will be disappointed. Knowing it will not help me.

And if something is planned for, let's say, one month, but it's not engraved in stone, it could be maybe two more weeks because something is hard to code/animate, there are tedious bugs, balance is needed, what they can say to calm the hype ? More than "We are still working on DST, we aren't ready to speak about it yet" ? "Something will come in one month" ? If it's not the case, disappointment and frustration.

So i don't really see how they could do better than now, honestly. When they'll know more, sure. I would like to know more when time will come.

7 hours ago, Lumina said:

I saw this in a lot of game. It's something like this

Team X : we plan to release an update on (insert date). It will bring news features (insert list)

Team X : we are sorry, we can't release things on (insert date).

Players are angry and insult devs, it's not so hard to keep a schedule, don't announce a date if you can't do it in time, stupids.

Or :

Team X : The new feature we planned isn't working well, we will abandon it.

Players are angry and insult devs, it's not so hard to code a thing, i am a coder and it's easy/it's not so hard to have an idea, here are some ideas, how can you be so stupid not having good ones ?

I saw this again, again and again. From studio with no experience, from veteran studio, from studio with small people working on the game, from big company.

No, it's not always a good thing to tell people what you plan on releasing and when. It could be, it could also be a very bad idea, if you are facing people unable to understand that sometimes, you must delay something or not add a feature.

I mean, people are hyping themselves about something that was never promised, or anything, and some like you are complaining out of nowhere and starting to tell devs how to manage their game and how they make bad choice because community would had done a better job.

If you are able to say things like this because a never promised update isn't coming, what if, like it could happen, a promised and planned update is delayed for good reasons ?

A climate of trust is needed for some informations to be shared, and even if this climate exist, this require more work. But you are among the players that make it not possible, because of this "it's so easy, noob, just change variable" and all this kind of stuff.

Especially since you are unable to see why it's important that a reward of the most difficult boss should not be too powerful.

So basically people will be angry no matter what. So more information is better. I'm hyped about ANR hitting PS4, as was promised. But it's been months since a dev said anything about it hitting ps4. So now I'm wasting my breath checking the forums everyday and being disappointed everyday and it could be several more months til it's released (at which case my hype might be completely gone because of this constant dissapointment), or never as is the case with SW bug fixes. Don't punish the all by giving us no information just because IF there's a delay it might make some people angry. We know remaining quiet makes people upset. I know your comment was about winona but I think the devs silence on PS4 ANR is highly relevant here.

Edit: I posted that in a hurry so parts aren't very coherent but my main points are 1. Keeping us in the dark wears on us (or at least on me), especially when it comes to 'promised' updates (ANR on PS4). And 2. People will be angry no matter what, so worrying about people getting angry IF you give more information and it turns out to be slightly inaccurate is a lame excuse

People are more angry and more disappointed and more people are angry and disappointed when something promised is not coming or delayed. So no, more informations isn't always better.

It could be. More informations about PS4 and ANR for example could be better because it's expected, people expect that since it's released on PC it will be on PS4, so explanations about why it's not coming and why it takes time could help. Because you have reasonnable reasons to expect something and because there are possible reasons for the delay, so an explaination could be useful.

But it need to be done in a cautious way. Because now you are angry. If tomorrow, they announce that the release will be in two weeks you'll calm. Ok, now you know how long you have to wait. And two weeks later, nothing. I guess you'll be even angrier than now, because something was clearly promised and seriously, months of nothing, a promise and now it's a lie ? For most people it will be even WORSE than nothing at all.

And it's why more information could be worse than none at all. Because for various reason, things could change, and things could be delayed, and the stronger the promise, the stronger the disappointment and the anger.

2 hours ago, Lumina said:

As far as i remember, it was "We are still working on DST, we aren't ready to speak about it yet".

My memory is "We're still working on the game. We haven't abandoned it." That could mean anything from "there could be significant updates in the future" to "We know there are still some bug fixes and fine tuning that needs to be done and we will get to it." "We aren't ready to talk about it" does indicate a significant update, I'd say, because no one hesitates to talk about bug fixes. But I don't remember them saying anything that promising.

...didn't the puzzle say the 10th? (if even that and we didn't grasp another red herring, they were all over the place)
6 more days till something maybe might possibly happen or not happen. Save the pitchforks till then, they don't have much durability.

12 hours ago, Josonic said:

So basically people will be angry no matter what. So more information is better. I'm hyped about ANR hitting PS4, as was promised. But it's been months since a dev said anything about it hitting ps4. So now I'm wasting my breath checking the forums everyday and being disappointed everyday and it could be several more months til it's released (at which case my hype might be completely gone because of this constant dissapointment), or never as is the case with SW bug fixes. Don't punish the all by giving us no information just because IF there's a delay it might make some people angry. We know remaining quiet makes people upset. I know your comment was about winona but I think the devs silence on PS4 ANR is highly relevant here.

Edit: I posted that in a hurry so parts aren't very coherent but my main points are 1. Keeping us in the dark wears on us (or at least on me), especially when it comes to 'promised' updates (ANR on PS4). And 2. People will be angry no matter what, so worrying about people getting angry IF you give more information and it turns out to be slightly inaccurate is a lame excuse

This problem is kinda similar to the game Overwatch. The PS4 and XBOX versions don't have the option to report someone if a player trolls/talks bad etc. PC version does have this feature. This could mean that the console companies, Sony or Microsoft might not do their job and not communicate well with that respective gaming company. I doubt Klei has not done anything about porting the ANR content to console versions after this pretty long time. Now I don't wanna sound like I want to control your life, but it's better to make an effort, maybe save some money little by little and to buy a PC in the future. There are some cheap motherboards and processors out there if you know where to look. I also recommed to build your own PC, never get a fully builded PC, it's way more expensive than the one you made yourself. I bet you will enjoy having the recent updates anytime they will be available.

• Developer
3 minutes ago, Maximus_A_874 said:

Hello I'm new here and I just wanted to know is this Winona character was just a prank by the devs or what.

Nobody knows, but it was likely a leak that they are desperately trying to make us ignore.

4 minutes ago, Maximus_A_874 said:

PS. Some pls tell the rules of this site I don't what to messed it up

Here you go: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/guidelines/

Welcome to the forums :)

Archived