Why was this topic locked?!

EuedeAdodooedoe

That.

Also, since I can:  Master Jand, that is FLAT OUT griefing, not even remotely a prank, and if you play like that regularly I am insta-banning you if you show up on my server.  Unlikely, sure, but it _could_ happen.

A prank is _funny_.  It has _cleverness_ to it.  That was just flat-out douchebaggery.

There, I got to say what I wanted to say but couldn't since the topic is locked.  I'm done now.

Don't grief.  Griefing is never, ever cool.  I don't care HOW cute you think you're being, you're not.  Also noobs have a hard enough time on this game as it is, don't make it even worse for them on purpose!  Geez.

...Notorious

Heh.  For some reason, that made me think of:  "My parents went to the 'What Is The Best Prank You've Ever Pulled on a New Player' thread, and all I got was this crummy t-shirt likes!"

And now I'm being reminded of this forum I posted on a long, long time ago, where at one point we started this bizzarre round-robin/roleplay story in which the various parts of the board were _areas_ based off of what the content in them was.  The main thing I remember is the Tower of "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!" being where the Big Bad had his/her/their headquarters.  : P  In this case, I guess the Best Prank thread would be where your character has to especially watch out for traps...

...Notorious

7 hours ago, HamBatter said:

If there isn't a comment it's probably an admin so you should know why it's locked.

Yet I didn't...

And doesn't Klei not care about griefing in the game? They seem to not be doing anything decent trying to prevent it, tbh, so locking a thread because griefing is being discussed as pranks seems quite bizarrely off.

@CaptainChaotica pranks and douchebaggary are very close, to be honest, at least from my perspective. You know that prank where some guy squirts out water to the guy next to him, as if to imply he's pissing on the floor in his direction? Classic prank XD

4 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

And doesn't Klei not care about griefing in the game? They seem to not be doing anything decent trying to prevent it, tbh, so locking a thread because griefing is being discussed as pranks seems quite bizarrely off.

If they wouldn't care, then why did they make vote-kicking an option? Klei cares about what the playerbase cares (I do not know how much they base their opinion on the forums and how much on metrics, i.e. information about the current session), and it just happens that a lot of people like new content and fancy skins more than extensive griefing prevention. Why? Because griefing is less of a concern when playing with friends, while stuff to do together is vastly more important.

You play DST with friends too, not just with strangers (like some FPS deathmatch games), right?

Weeell, the problem is, not all that thread was truly "pranks".  Some were light-hearted, no-hard-feelings jokes done on good friends who know you're kidding; others were ACTUALLY trying to anger new players and kill off their characters in a "Tee-hee!" kind of way and at least one was FLAT out, no other thing to call it, deliberate, planned, _unforgiveable_ griefing.

We need to have a better definition of what is and is not a prank, is the thing.  Problem IS, Don't Starve is such that if you make even _one_ little mistake, it can be immediately lethal.  So there's not much room between "Ha ha this'll surprise the other person, make them jump, then turn around and go 'Ya got me!'" and a wrong action that causes character death. 

But I'd say that DEFINITELY, if it's not on someone you know, and if your _intent_ was mean, if your goal was for you and only you to laugh while somebody else gets angry and/or hurt:

THAT.  IS NOT.  A PRANK.

And for _phrack's_ sake, don't do this to newbies at all!  It's hard enough learning the ropes of a brand new game in general with other people already buzzing around all knowing everything already, snubbing you...now add to the fact that Don't Starve is a _harder_ game than most multiplayer ones that look so cute.  If somebody's very first experience on a game is that they don't even get to actually PLAY for more than a couple minutes before they die (due to other players rather than the game itself, I mean), what they're gonna take away is:  "Okay. The people who play this game are arseholes.  Good to know." and not come back.

...This is not me speaking in a void, as in a probable theory. This is from EXPERIENCE.

_Multiple_ experiences.

Speaking of kililng brand-new characters (to the server in this case), DON'T TRAP THE PORTAL EITHER!  Do I even _have_ to explain how bratty-little-brother this is, how it makes the person doing it seem like a giggling idiot kid rather than a criminal mastermind?  Knock it off with the spider nests and tentacles around the postern.  Especially in PvE.

Basically:  If what you've done would make you BE one of the people that all those many, _many_ posts about "KLEI!  PLEASE DO SOMETHING TO STOP THE GRIEFING!" are complaining about, it's not a prank.

...Notorious

Have you ever played Jenga? You see a set up that you know is going to end in disaster? Sometimes moderating is a bit like that, you see a thread or post you know is going to lead to a whole lot of moderating and reminding people of the rules. Prevention beats clean up every time so yeah we can lock threads at our own discretion. I didn't do this one but I imagine that was the reason. 

On 29/03/2017 at 1:20 AM, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Yet I didn't...

You've stated that the topic was about griefing, that's all you need to know.

On 29/03/2017 at 1:20 AM, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

They do care, but it is difficult to systematically prevent it when losing things to fire and replacing something in another spot because it is slightly off are intended aspects of gameplay. The ideal way to have it be self-moderating is to strip anonymity and have the real persons doing the actions in a setting that is not a game.

Archived