Water Cooling

I think the temperature mechanics with water need a bit of work...

Running thermal update, and I have a geyser near me. Working on cooling that Geyser water so my base doesn't start turning into an armpit. Water is piped back and forth through an ice biome, past around 9 wheezeworts, in a mix of granit and Wolframite pipes (exchanger in the bottom right is entirely wolframite). And water enters the cooler at ~51 degrees C, and leaves at... Approximately 51 degrees C. I've tried dialing down the flow rate to 1/20th of max, same result. 

I understand water has a high thermal mass, but this is ridiculous. I'd also like to see the equivalent of the thermocooler for water instead of gas...

Overview.png

Pipes.png

Thermal.png

11 hours ago, caffeinated21 said:

I think the temperature mechanics with water need a bit of work...
[...]
I understand water has a high thermal mass, but this is ridiculous. I'd also like to see the equivalent of the thermocooler for water instead of gas...

Wouldn't have said it better. Experiencing the same issue...

Since pipes had no effect I tried just flooding the Carrots (that place used to be blue) it did work better (water around 45C) but still way too slow. No screenshot before this second flood :/

20170328192448_1.jpg

Are the water pipes made out of wolframite? Have you tried putting wolframite gas permeable tiles/mesh tiles on top of the pipes?
I haven't tried this myself but I think it could allow heat to transfer from the water into the ice biome a lot better.

The gas around the water pipes in the ice biome is probably not conducting very much heat away from the water.

If the gas pressure in the ice biome is low then it doesn't matter at all that the water is running through there, the pipes are basically insulated.

3 minutes ago, PickPay said:

I think OP said he used Wolframite to some extent, my pipes there were made with that as well.

When you flooded that area with the pipes and the "Carrots" with water you seem to have managed to transfer a lot of heat to the surrounding environment. Everything around the pipes there have been heated up as well. There's just not enough cooling. The surrounding area is now hot as well.

Looking at the OP's picture we can see that the heat is not being transfered very well to the surrounding environment. I'm not sure, but I think it would help if the OP tried to put gas permeable tiles or mesh tiles on top of the pipes in the picture around here. Basically fill this area with as much wolframite as possible to have the heat spread out to the environment. That or try to flood it just like you did. I have no idea if it will be enough though.

heat-retention.PNG

So- I'm convinced there is a bug here, because the pipes heat up the environment, but the water itself doesn't get cool. I don't have the thread handy, but in another thread folks are exploiting this by using thermocoolers and gas pipes to cool liquid: basically you pump gas through ducts in the liquid and the cool gas cools the liquid without heating up the gas. 

It seems to be that whenever the fluid move in the pipes, it reverts to the same temperature at which it entered the pipe. Until this is fixed, it appears that the only way to cool liquid is in its bulk state. (or exploiting this with the gas cooling method).

I'm currently remodelling this with the fluid flowing along wolframite gas permeable tiles surrounded by a bunch of wheezeworts. I'll post once it's all up and running. Fingers crossed...

Here is my setup. It works pretty well.

The mass of water really really important. Too much water will take a decade to cooling it down. So I think about spread the water out which will decrease the cooling time.

The amount injected water to the system depends on how long the pipe is. Increasing the pipe length will also increase the amount of water the system can handle.

Untitled.png

Ultra Rat's Nest.sav

It's a bug. I have a radiator type system. Cold air in the ice biome going through gas pipes in my geyser water tank. Most of the water is out accept for one spot, where it's near freezing. Turns out that spot has polluted water, not clean water. 

10 hours ago, ThangLe said:

Here is my setup. It works pretty well.

The mass of water really really important. Too much water will take a decade to cooling it down. So I think about spread the water out which will decrease the cooling time.

The amount injected water to the system depends on how long the pipe is. Increasing the pipe length will also increase the amount of water the system can handle.

So what gas is in the pipes and how cold is it ? How many degrees Celsius are you bringing the water down with that and how much water ? I dont see a Valve do you just turn the pump on and off ?

53 minutes ago, PickPay said:

So what gas is in the pipes and how cold is it ?

Just polluted oxygen between -60 to -50 degree celsius.

How many degrees Celsius are you bringing the water down with that and how much water ?

At the beginning, water is about 95 degree celsius. At the end, about 15 degree celsius.

Water is about 50g/s as I set in the valve. As I mentioned, increasing the pipe length also increases the amount of water.

I dont see a Valve do you just turn the pump on and off ?

The valve actually works. It may be a bug in animation that the valve doesn't show that it works.

I have posted the save file in the previous post. You can try it out by changing the valve value to see how the amount of water affects the cooling process.

2 hours ago, ThangLe said:

Just polluted oxygen between -60 to -50 degree celsius.

At the beginning, water is about 95 degree celsius. At the end, about 15 degree celsius.

Water is about 50g/s as I set in the valve. As I mentioned, increasing the pipe length also increases the amount of water.

The valve actually works. It may be a bug in animation that the valve doesn't show that it works.

I have posted the save file in the previous post. You can try it out by changing the valve value to see how the amount of water affects the cooling process.

Awesome thanks ;)

42 minutes ago, PickPay said:

Awesome thanks ;)

So I loaded your save and checked. For some reason the Valve doesn't respond to changes so its stuck at 50g/s which is way too little output to be useful but other than that its nice. So its better to have cold air going through pipes instead of piped water going through cold air ? And would Wolframite make a difference ?

9 minutes ago, PickPay said:

So I loaded your save and checked. For some reason the Valve doesn't respond to changes so its stuck at 50g/s which is way too little output to be useful but other than that its nice.

Yeah, it seems something wrong there. But you could enable debug mode then rebuild the new one for testing. I build entire room with debug mode :D

So its better to have cold air going through pipes instead of piped water going through cold air ?

What matter, I think, is the amount of water. I haven't try pumping hot water through cold air yet but I think it will also work if the amount of water small enough.

There is a topic in the forum mention ingame heat dissipation mechanics. Haven't read the whole topic yet but the mass of matters is one of many factors affecting the heat dissipation. That's starting point of the idea to decrease the amount of water for cooling down.

And would Wolframite make a difference ?

What is the expected difference? I haven't try yet.

You may try your idea see whether it works. Waiting for your result.

1 hour ago, ThangLe said:

Yeah, it seems something wrong there. But you could enable debug mode then rebuild the new one for testing. I build entire room with debug mode :D

What matter, I think, is the amount of water. I haven't try pumping hot water through cold air yet but I think it will also work if the amount of water small enough.

There is a topic in the forum mention ingame heat dissipation mechanics. Haven't read the whole topic yet but the mass of matters is one of many factors affecting the heat dissipation. That's starting point of the idea to decrease the amount of water for cooling down.

What is the expected difference? I haven't try yet.

You may try your idea see whether it works. Waiting for your result.

The debug functions I used froze the game. So not sure I will fiddle with that.

I'm gonna try simply running cold gas through my water tank see if that helps cool off the water (I used Granite). Need time for my Carrots to cool off again...

Wolframite is supposed to not hold heat but transfer it easily.

Use Wolframite to transfer heat easily.  It works great for indirect cooling/heating.  It works great for thermo-sensors and anything that you don't want to overheat easily.  Just be sure to remove the heat for the latter use...as it will "overheat" easily at the moment without its overheat bonus.  All things without overheat bonus will overheat at 75C.

57 minutes ago, PickPay said:

Wolframite is supposed to not hold heat but transfer it easily.

5 minutes ago, Fatmice said:

Use Wolframite to transfer heat easily.

Good to know, thanks. I definitely will try it :).

3 minutes ago, ThangLe said:

Is there anything wrong but I don't see any option to build Gas Pipe with Wolframe. Liquid pipe has that option.

Maybe the intention was so you can eventually carry magma in them.  Otherwise probably an oversight.

11 hours ago, PickPay said:

For some reason the Valve doesn't respond to changes so its stuck at 50g/s which is way too little output to be useful but other than that its nice.

I did change the system a little bit, now it can even freeze immediately hot water just come out from Geyser :D. And Water is pumped at the maximum capacity.

It takes about 40 cycles to work perfectly. After that, we have free, fresh and warm (even ice) to use :D.

Watercooling System.sav

Untitled.png

5 hours ago, Fatmice said:

Maybe the intention was so you can eventually carry magma in them.  Otherwise probably an oversight.

Yeah, maybe it is used for carry magma :D. It seems so weird Wolframe just for water pipe.

Adding to this issue, not only the hot water (75C from neaby Geyser) doesnt get cooled but it heats up everything around the pipes immensely and when it drops into a water tank the heat doesnt transfer to the surrounding water much or very slowly. I can easily see this getting worse if I let it run longer.

20170401190632_1.jpg

Archived