My opinion over few things that can be improved

Hello everyone,

First let me kick off saying that the new Fuelweaver Boss is phenomenal. I really loved the art work behind it and the bone armor is a really great addition with a cool design as-well. This ruins content really brings a lot more to the game but i still feel a few things should be done.

1. I don't know if it's intended but the Guardian Chest just dropped the ancient Key. Is this a very small chance to happen or did you really removed the thulecite you get from it ? Would be nice to still have the same loot table as before. 

2. I really love the cave holes and the fact that we actually have a use for the Lazy Forager but I feel they are not enough. Some people can debate (Ruins content is suppose to be limited) I will say I disagree. The fact that for you to reset you have to clear up the atrium, you have to defeat shadow bosses level 3 to get the heart is already enough commitment to reset the content and get a decent amount of thulecite, for EVERYONE, not just an amount for one people. I feel if you put enough time in the game, as end content, you should be able to keep getting enough thulicite for armors for everyone.

With all this said, if creatures and even monkey hutch re-spawn after you kill FuelWeaver, please make statues respawn as-well as clockwork and all the dangerous things in the ruins.(done) Honestly cleaning up that content is one of the most fun things to do in the game and they look so good. Ruins without statues are too empty and this would solve that issue.

3. I would still love to see some weapons getting re-worked so we could actually have some variety in what we pick to fight or even switch during some fights:
*Bat Bat – This is probably the weapon with the highest chance to come into play if we would remove the sanity aura. (oh but glermz it would be op) I mean it takes around 30 hits to regen 200 health and it only have 42 damage which is really low. But still would be a great weapon to regen health from other normal mobs and even on boss fights if you are not tanking.  The fact that currently takes way to much sanity for the purposes it gives makes it a never used weapon.
*Thulecite Club – I mean this is suppose to be an end game weapon right ? So why not make it so? Make the tentacle spawn up to 40% and the speed boost when equipped to 15-20%. Dark Sword would still be the highest damage weapon but with a very good competitor because of the proc and speed boost of the club.
*Weather Pain – Is it possible to get back the effect that we have in singleplayer? One hit = instant tree destroy. This would make the wood grind a lot easier in endgame and a more useful tool than it is right now.

4. Can we re-think the Bearger Loot to make it interesting again ? We currently have a backpack that nobody ever uses and even the chest that is actually good has little use because people just rather use a Krampus sack or other backpack to actually get some work done during winter.  So my idea is why not combine both of them ? the Fur of bearger is pretty big so why not have a tier 3 chest with his own insulation backpack (6 slots)? Remove maybe the hunger reduction so its not totally op. If someone wants that (wolfgang) there is always the belt of hunger. This would actually make bearger useful again besides being a lumberjack.

5. Bee Queen – I love this fight but it can be a lot stressful for small groups without cheesy tactics because of how fast she spawns new companions. Increasing the gap of when she spawns new bees would help a lot in this fight without nerfing  the mechanics of it. I would love to see people killing bosses how they are suppose to without using cheesy tactics, and I think this would make her doable even for 2 people, It would still be a time and resource consuming fight considering all the damage you need to mitigate (Healing food+armor+weapons)

6. Bee Queen Hat – I’m still battling this one, why not make it so we can take honey out of the beeboxes without angry bees coming out ? I’m not saying to make the hat friendly with bees, just friendly with the bee box (same effect as winter). I don’t think this would make the game easier, just less annoying after you put time building your bee boxes.

7. Is there a way that we can refuel the salt Lick instead of re-building it ? The purpose of the salt lick is to pen up animals and too often is hard to build them since either animals are in the position where you want to put it or that zone no longer have the space for it. Refueling/Repair (like walls) it would make it a lot easier to keep them up with the annoying part.

8. SPORES – I know that they last 30+ days but for that they need to be full green and they never are (mostly 80% when you catch them instantly). Can’t we get this buffed ? It’s already time consuming and material consuming to defeat toadstool to get the Glow Cap and than time consuming to get all them spores  for your 30 lamps so I wouldn’t see why would it be an issue to ramp that number up to 50+ days to make the grind a lot less. Let the lightbulbs remain as they are since they are easier to get, but I wouldn’t see a problem with buffing the spores so we can actually have fun using the loot from toadstool and having cool lights in our base.

9. Funcaps – They are only used for spores. For an item that drops for a very hard and long fight boss I think the reward should be a bit better and they should even have different abilities.  This is how I feel they should be to make them interesting to use:
*Green Cap(Suppose to be a Spring Hat – green spores) 3.3 min Sanity Regen + 90% wetness resistance (just like umbrella) – This will make a good alternative after defeating toadstool to the ones who still don’t have eyebrela. Also a good option to go to the ruins during Spring.
*Red Cap(Suppose to be a Summer Hat – red spores) 120 Overheat Proctection (tier 2) + small radius light (maybe like wx overcharge range) that is gathered in theory from the sun, only works during summer due to the high day light and intense sun.
*Blue Cap(Suppose to be a winter hat – blue spores) Just a better version of beefalo hat. 240 Warmth protection + 25% hunger reduction

10. Geckos – I would love to see a cap limit of how many geckos can be in a world so we don’t have constantly a lot of them spawning. This way we would need to pen all of them till our grass would be safe from spawning more.

11. Ice Glaciers – I would love that they would remain in the same spot as long as you don’t mine them instead of disappearing in summer. I had a fantastic location with my No Eye Deers for winter that I placed around glaciers’ and now they are gone (: I think this would be a win win for both people who need to mine them to build in that zone and to the people who just want to have them there for decoration.

Sorry for the long post. Feel free to debate all the idea and even throw a few more. game is still in the Beta so we never know if the devs will agree with some of them.

Best Regards,

Glermz

26 minutes ago, Glhrmzz said:

7. Is there a way that we can refuel the salt Lick instead of re-building it ? The purpose of the salt lick is to pen up animals and too often is hard to build them since either animals are in the position where you want to put it or that zone no longer have the space for it. Refueling/Repair (like walls) it would make it a lot easier to keep them up with the annoying part.

Not sure how i feel about repairing right now ; repairing a rock wall costs 10ish rocks while crafting costs 1 per unit. If it were to be the same for licks, ehhhh...

2 minutes ago, asdrub43l said:

Not sure how i feel about repairing right now ; repairing a rock wall costs 10ish rocks while crafting costs 1 per unit. If it were to be the same for licks, ehhhh...

Well not as bad as the wall repairing, just maybe one more Nitre since you will no longer use the board.

32 minutes ago, Glhrmzz said:

11. Ice Glaciers – I would love that they would remain in the same spot as long as you don’t mine them instead of disappearing in summer. I had a fantastic location with my No Eye Deers for winter that I placed around glaciers’ and now they are gone (: I think this would be a win win for both people who need to mine them to build in that zone and to the people who just want to have them there for decoration.

I agree, the summer part is a little iffy, a little suggestion might be to keep the water alive with a ice flingo.

35 minutes ago, Glhrmzz said:

5. Bee Queen – I love this fight but it can be a lot stressful for small groups without cheesy tactics because of how fast she spawns new companions. Increasing the gap of when she spawns new bees would help a lot in this game without nerfing  the mechanics of it. I would love to see people killing bosses how they are suppose to without using cheesy tactics, and I think this would make her doable even for 2 people, It would still be a time and resource consuming fight considering all the damage you need to mitigate (Healing food+armor+weapons)

she is too unfair right now without cheesing as GL said.

1) Not a clue on that...

2) Totally agree.

3) Bat bat's real problem, for me at least, is its durability and the amount of stuff it takes to craft one. If one took perhaps 3 wings instead of 5 and/or the batilisks had a higher chance to drop a wing, or another 100% chance to drop one, and the gem and living logs being replaced by something cheaper like bone shards and rope (which are in its aesthetic), then it could be a great weapon of choice.

With enough hits, the thulecite club can actually spawn quite a few tentacles. For me, the main problems are its cost, especially in living logs (if we assume that thulecite is made to be more common/you get more of it from ornate chests and other gems).

Weather pain's biggest issue is the horns. You kill 10 goats and get 1, maaay be a second horn. And there's a few of them. And they have a populus limit. Why can't there be more herds?! Although yeah, the tree chopping thing could make it hella more useful for that... Then again, would you use it for those purposes once you have your green goblin to take for a walk? :)

4) Bearger has a hoard of problems, and he hasn't been touched during recent updates of ANR, so I think it's best for Klei to keep their focus away from this until after ANR is finished.

5) One cheese tactic used is tentacles spawning via On Tentacles, and I talked about this in my thread about certain things that could be reworked quite quickly. Just making tentacles not emerge when Bee Queen is present could get rid of that exploit to some extent. I mean, she is flying and all. Same for grumble bees of course. The wall tactic... I guess the grumble bees could stop following wall patterns when aggroed?

6) May be, may be not, although I have my thoughts more towards the former. It will make bee keeper hat virtually useless.

7) Yeah, why was this not in the game from the beginning? Beefalo were introduced before ANR, and same as Bearger, there are a lot of problems with them. Best done after ANR, imo.

8) No idea on spores...

9) That's an interesting thought there! Just, better not make them as OP as the eyebrella. They don't require a shroom skin to craft, so, why make them extremely powerful? One blueprint means everyone can get one, albeit they'll rot pretty quickly.

10) I guess...

11) Nnoope! The new mechanics are just right! It gives me an incentive to go around the world to get some from places where they haven't been spawned by pengulls. The ones pengulls spawn are an annoyance anyway in terms of placement and sometimes navigation, so what V2C has done with them is simply genious... At least I think it's him who fixed it. Either way, good job whomever did that! And in any case, they can ruin biome aesthetics in Summer. Like, if you base in desert, can you recall having a lot of them there in Summer? Looks quite ugly imho.

35 minutes ago, Glhrmzz said:

Hello everyone,

First let me kick off saying that the new Fuelweaver Boss is phenomenal. I really loved the art work behind it and the bone armor is a really great addition with a cool design as-well. This ruins content really brings a lot more to the game but i still feel a few things should be done.

1. I don't know if it's intended but the Guardian Chest just dropped the ancient Key. Is this a very small chance to happen or did you really removed the thulecite you get from it ? Would be nice to still have the same loot table as before. 

2. I really love the cave holes and the fact that we actually have a use for the Lazy Forager but I feel they are not enough. Some people can debate (Ruins content is suppose to be limited) I will say I disagree. The fact that for you to reset you have to clear up the atrium, you have to defeat shadow bosses level 3 to get the heart is already enough commitment to reset the content and get a decent amount of thulecite, for EVERYONE, not just an amount for one people. I feel if you put enough time in the game, as end content, you should be able to keep getting enough thulicite for armors for everyone.

With all this said, if creatures and even monkey hutch re-spawn after you kill FuelWeaver, please make statues respawn as-well as clockwork and all the dangerous things in the ruins. Honestly cleaning up that content is one of the most fun things to do in the game and they look so good. Ruins without statues are too empty and this would solve that issue.

3. I would still love to see some weapons getting re-worked so we could actually have some variety in what we pick to fight or even switch during some fights:
*Bat Bat – This is probably the weapon with the highest chance to come into play if we would remove the sanity aura. (oh but glermz it would be op) I mean it takes around 30 hits to regen 200 health and it only have 42 damage which is really low. But still would be a great weapon to regen health from other normal mobs and even on boss fights if you are not tanking.  The fact that currently takes way to much sanity for the purposes it gives makes it a never used weapon.
*Thulecite Club – I mean this is suppose to be an end game weapon right ? So why not make it so? Make the tentacle spawn up to 40% and the speed boost when equipped to 15-20%. Dark Sword would still be the highest damage weapon but with a very good competitor because of the proc and speed boost of the club.
*Weather Pain – Is it possible to get back the effect that we have in singleplayer? One hit = instant tree destroy. This would make the wood grind a lot easier in endgame and a more useful tool than it is right now.

4. Can we re-think the Bearger Loot to make it interesting again ? We currently have a backpack that nobody ever uses and even the chest that is actually good has little use because people just rather use a Krampus sack or other backpack to actually get some work done during winter.  So my idea is why not combine both of them ? the Fur of bearger is pretty big so why not have a tier 3 chest with his own insulation backpack (6 slots)? Remove maybe the hunger reduction so its not totally op. If someone wants that (wolfgang) there is always the belt of hunger. This would actually make bearger useful again besides being a lumberjack.

5. Bee Queen – I love this fight but it can be a lot stressful for small groups without cheesy tactics because of how fast she spawns new companions. Increasing the gap of when she spawns new bees would help a lot in this game without nerfing  the mechanics of it. I would love to see people killing bosses how they are suppose to without using cheesy tactics, and I think this would make her doable even for 2 people, It would still be a time and resource consuming fight considering all the damage you need to mitigate (Healing food+armor+weapons)

6. Bee Queen Hat – I’m still battling this one, why not make it so we can take honey out of the beeboxes without angry bees coming out ? I’m not saying to make the hat friendly with bees, just friendly with the bee box (same effect as winter). I don’t think this would make the game easier, just less annoying after you put time building your bee boxes.

7. Is there a way that we can refuel the salt Lick instead of re-building it ? The purpose of the salt lick is to pen up animals and too often is hard to build them since either animals are in the position where you want to put it or that zone no longer have the space for it. Refueling/Repair (like walls) it would make it a lot easier to keep them up with the annoying part.

8. SPORES – I know that they last 30+ days but for that they need to be full green and they never are (mostly 80% when you catch them instantly). Can’t we get this buffed ? It’s already time consuming and material consuming to defeat toadstool to get the Glow Cap and than time consuming to get all them spores  for your 30 lamps so I wouldn’t see why would it be an issue to ramp that number up to 50+ days to make the grind a lot less. Let the lightbulbs remain as they are since they are easier to get, but I wouldn’t see a problem with buffing the spores so we can actually have fun using the loot from toadstool and having cool lights in our base.

9. Funcaps – They are only used for spores. For an item that drops for a very hard and long fight boss I think the reward should be a bit better and they should even have different abilities.  This is how I feel they should be to make them interesting to use:
*Green Cap(Suppose to be a Spring Hat – green spores) 3.3 min Sanity Regen + 90% wetness resistance (just like umbrella) – This will make a good alternative after defeating toadstool to the ones who still don’t have eyebrela. Also a good option to go to the ruins during Spring.
*Red Cap(Suppose to be a Summer Hat – red spores) 120 Overheat Proctection (tier 2) + small radius light (maybe like wx overcharge range) that is gathered in theory from the sun, only works during summer due to the high day light and intense sun.
*Blue Cap(Suppose to be a winter hat – blue spores) Just a better version of beefalo hat. 240 Warmth protection + 25% hunger reduction

10. Geckos – I would love to see a cap limit of how many geckos can be in a world so we don’t have constantly a lot of them spawning. This way we would need to pen all of them till our grass would be safe from spawning more.

Sorry for the long post. Feel free to debate all the idea and even throw a few more. game is still in the Beta so we never know if the devs will agree with some of them.

Best Regards,

Glermz

1. It is meant to drop the key. I'm not sure if the actual drop table got tweaked but either way I do agree it shouldn't replace Thulecite or any other actually valuable meterial from that chest.

2. Agreed, not respawning clockworks or statues makes the reset Ruins feel like a bootleg rather than a proper reset.

3. Agreed yet again, the Club currently is a waste of thulecite, the Bat Bat is rarely useful, and the Weather Pain shouldn't have been nerfed at all, what with being a Giant craftable that never was OP.

4. Also agreed. If not something with a practical use, even just a carpet from his fur(also so that fur tufts have more use).

5. Queen is too much, but other than that she's also too much for her drops' worth. The hat is a fun little thing, renewable honeycombs are good and the blueprints have the same issue Toad's have(Once everyone know them, screw ever doing that boss again for its drops). 

6. Neutral, not much to say for this or against this.

7. Either having a beefalo's domestication properly lock or having the salt lick become repairable. I'd be happy with either.

8. Could be an interesting use for the Shroom Skin, turf or a fancier version of the Mushroom Planter, that spit out spores. Fueling the Mushlights is far less tedious now that the Cave Stalker and the Thurible exist for lategame worlds, allowing you to grab resources to fuel the lights even without going to the caves, and the Shroom Skin needs more uses, so this could be a good one.

9. I'm not sure if this is too drastic of a change, but I can see it working.

10. I disagree with this. Farming them is amazing for mass gathering grass, and their chance of actually spawning is already fairly low.

11. Neutral on this. I won't find it harmful but I won't be crossing my fingers in hopes of this happening. 

1. It's intended.

2. I agree. Thulecite stations are what makes killing all those clockworks worth it (apart from the gears). If we can't get the Thulecite statues back, can we at least have the clockwork piles respawn? At least those would give me the occasional gem or Thulecite.

3. I think the batbat isn't used due to the fact that you need 5 bat wings to craft it. The Thulecite club just feels like a waste of Thulecite, considering how rare that stuff is. If statues were to respawn then I'm sure many people will start using it.

5. I agree. Bee Queen makes way too many minions for 2 players. With 3 players (one of them being a Wolfgang, a Wigfrid and a Wendy) we barely managed to kill her, with Abigail doing most of the work.

6. I think that would be a nice addition. 

11. I think ice glaciers are fine now. Ones spawned in worldgen don't melt, and those spawned by penguins do in winter.

Many smart suggestions from someone who really knows the game. I do think that ruins regen in particular needs some tweaking. At present it's more of a penalty than a reward, given that most of the stuff it restores (monkeys, slurpers, damaged clockworks) is stuff most players invest a lot of time in getting rid of and only the clockworks have any decent drops. Also, surely the Guardian's loot is broken? I just killed it for the first time and the chest contained 4 Thulecite crumbs, 2 blue gems and a 45% bat bat. I've seen at least two streamers get equally pathetic drops from it in the past week or two as well.

13 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

carpet from his fur(also so that fur tufts have more use)

Yep, head that idea before, it's a nice one. The more manmae turfs the better.

1 hour ago, Glhrmzz said:

Bee Queen Hat – I’m still battling this one, why not make it so we can take honey out of the beeboxes without angry bees coming out ?

Nice idea, I like it.

1 hour ago, Glhrmzz said:

9. Funcaps – They are only used for spores.

25% hunger rate reduction is great, It's good headgear to wear if you don't have anything to wear at this moment. Example - it's autumn, it's not raining and you have long, gathering trip to do.

1. & 2. I think a way to balance this is to make the amount of loot that spawns in ornate chests to scale to the number of players that are within a certain distance when it is opened. This way, if someone wants to rush ruins on their own they'll still get the same loot, but there'd also be more of an incentive to work together. This would probably be best done with diminishing returns so that having 6 players nearby doesn't simply translate into 6 times the normal loot. 

3. I think the thulecite club will become more competitive with the greater availability of thulecite. I definitely think the bat bat needs a rework to make it more useful or make the recipe more efficient. @Rezecib's rebalance mod fixes this by increasing its durability and making it repairable with bat wings. All the suggestions here would honestly work, it just needs something done. The biggest problem for me with this item is that, between the number of wings required, their low drop rate and the fact that they spoil, you have to deliberately decide to make this item; however, the payoff for doing so just isn't there. Two other items which suffer the same fate are the pick/axe and the tale o' three cats (a promising item that is way too expensive for the damage it deals). 

4. I honestly think the hibearnation vest is fine the way it; it's the top tier winter item which is very rewarding if a player can cut the cord with backpacks. The insulated pack can be useful for mapping out the caves early on, but it becomes available too late to really fulfill this potential. It's somewhat useful for collecting spores, but I'd like to see it become even more specialised. Completely halting the spoilage of seeds (and maybe even spores) is one idea that I've had for it before. That and letting it reduce the spoilage of crops even more than the ice box. Basically make it synergise well with farms, and make them both more competitive as a result. What I'd really like to see out of bearger is something like a carpet crafted out of his fur, or even just the tufts. This doesn't really need to having any function other than being an extra late game aesthetic option. All other giants have drops that are continually useful, whereas bearger caps out after all the players get their hibearnation vests/insulated packs (if they even want them).

7 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

Just making tentacles not emerge when Bee Queen is present could get rid of that exploit to some extent. I mean, she is flying and all. Same for grumble bees of course. The wall tactic... I guess the grumble bees could stop following wall patterns when aggroed?

But why? Nobody's forcing you to cheese the Bee Queen, all this would do is completely lock solo players out of bundling wraps.

1 hour ago, JellyUltra said:

But why? Nobody's forcing you to cheese the Bee Queen, all this would do is completely lock solo players out of bundling wraps.

What? How? You have other mobs like pigs and bunnies always at your service. In any case, that would simply be a step towards changing the boss. Grumble bee amount mechanics could be tuned later as well in any case.

• Developer

For #1, the loot table was not modified and I add the key after the loot had been generated, so its just very very bad luck. I'll take a look at the loot generation though and see what I can do. (I might even do another pass on the ornate chests too)

6 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

For #1, the loot table was not modified and I add the key after the loot had been generated, so its just very very bad luck. I'll take a look at the loot generation though and see what I can do. (I might even do another pass on the ornate chests too)

Well i guess i was just really unlucky. I killed him again yesterday and got 11 thulecite + Key so it's good. Thanks for the feedback Scott!

Ps. Also thanks for making statues renewable! Big Big Plus!

Archived