Showcase for tidy bases

4 hours ago, disies said:

@xxVERSUSxy Nice! I see this is one of your older worlds. Do you have several bases around your map? I love this. Returning to a base you haven't seen in a while. It makes me feel saver. 

:wilson_love:

This server is not too old; started it as a new personal one on 1st of this month after nixing my previous 2 in the "Stuff 'n' Things" series. Said print screen is from the core of my main caves base that I intend, with the help of 2 friends, to make kind of mega-base-like. There is one more functional mini right at the entrance/sinkhole leading to Sunken Forest main - designed to kill bats and hounds; another mini at Oasis for fishing trinkets, and another one close to Queen Bee (plus all that tentacle trap for killing it). When I'll be content with their functional design and aesthetics will surely post their respective snap shots. I also plan 3 more cave minis - 1 close to some Slurtle Mounds, 1 at Splumonkey Pods (farming them with Bunnymen), and last one in Atrium biome. But yeah, main cave base is the soothing one :)

1 hour ago, Rellimarual said:

How do you deal with being near slurtles? They can be so annoying when they come after minerals in your chest and inventory, and they take so long to kite.

In my case, with mentioned mini beside Slurtle Mounds, we simply kill them all the time spent there. I pen them just in case with the sticks pen type (and I'm not sure if they attack that pen as we don't let them idle and, when leaving, area is paused) but mostly we go there to kill them. I don't find kiting Slurtles/Snurtles particularly problematic regarding time as I'm having more fun hitting them when they begin to 'laugh' after a failed bite tentative (don't know why they do that in case of failed retaliation but is even more funny "smacking the grin out of their faces") to pay attention how long it takes. Thinking at those sweet Shelmet and Snurtle Shell Armor rewards is good enough a distraction in relation to the time all that process implies. Plus we won't have chests there. When we fully based (main) beside Slurtle Mounds indeed snails were going for chests, but we killed them constantly as well and penned their mounds - again I'll test if they attack fences/walls if left to their devices (or maybe someone already did so and may post here about snail behavior in that case).

I thought i'd contribute to this topic by showing my base design.

This is the entrance to my base, guarded by the all watchful eye.20170621031303_1.jpg

This is my storage area.20170621031313_1.jpg

The bedroom and wardrobe area with all clothing items and resources.20170621031321_1.jpg

The burning heart of the base.20170621031331_1.jpg

The workshop area.20170621031344_1.jpg

The artifact room.20170621031354_1.jpg

The kitchen areas.20170621031413_1.jpg20170621031421_1.jpg

The various farm areas.20170621031447_1.jpg20170621031458_1.jpg20170621031511_1.jpg20170621031531_1.jpg20170621031541_1.jpg20170621031548_1.jpg20170621031603_1.jpg

The beefalo training pen.

20170621031653_1.jpg

The pig village.

20170621031755_1.jpg

And finally, the maxwell shrine.20170621031732_1.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the base design. I almost lost the world once due to some error in the game that deleted the files. It got restored somehow but lost my original character wolfgang.

On 6/20/2017 at 6:45 AM, Rellimarual said:

How do you deal with being near slurtles?

On 6/20/2017 at 8:33 AM, xxVERSUSxy said:

When we fully based (main) beside Slurtle Mounds indeed snails were going for chests, but we killed them constantly as well and penned their mounds - again I'll test if they attack fences/walls if left to their devices (or maybe someone already did so and may post here about snail behavior in that case).

Yea, my usual course is to put a small fence around the chest area. Haven't seen them attack fences; they just kinda slither along the sides.

why nobody uses cave turfs?

only one who used it so far was furiousbr

----------------

DST Academy - Group Server 

main base - oasis

20170625004616_1.jpg

bee area (made by me xD no geoplacement used as you can see)

20170625031404_1.jpg

trap area:

1 spot for normal fire-pit, 1 spot for tools and 1 in the middle for endothermic fire

20170625031801_1.jpg

spider/bunny farm:

spiders usually come out at night, so you should place them on the edge of the map

you can also use this area to kill spawning giants (deerclops and bearger)

20170625031837_1.jpg

4 hours ago, Arash70 said:

why nobody uses cave turfs?

Mildly put I for one find them kinda.. disagreeable (except Cave Rock Turf one). All revolve around slime-fungus concepts, moldy or otherwise ...excremental (fun fact: guano is basically bat poop). They may look ..."mmmokay" as color scheme goes but.. the *carrion* implications :rolleyes:

Because most cave turfs have either defined patterns or messy textures, making them harder to work with in a heavily coordinated/symmetrical base, or one following specific paths and patterns (especially if it isn't planned from the beginning).

Today I realized that building a rectangle base is the best option, you may ask why?

because you can place 4 flingomatics around the base, and easily maintain it during summer,

I've also learned that I should place trees on flingomatics' circular edges densely so I can 1-stop/delay hound attacks 2-build berry bush farms much easier

20170702223904_1.jpg

if you build it carefully, it will pretty much look like this:

screenshot.png

14 hours ago, Arash70 said:

Today I realized that building a rectangle base is the best option, you may ask why?

because you can place 4 flingomatics around the base, and easily maintain it during summer,

I used to do that, but minus the trees (Heck, that looks a lot like one of my old bases). But now I like to just base in the Antlion desert and call it a day.

7 hours ago, Arash70 said:

@Sinister

well it depends on the world generation

in the game I'm playing right now, this base is in the exact centre, and Oasis is ~5 biomes away from the center!

Yeah, good point. It does tend to be far out of the way. I've just gotten lucky and had some good wormhole spawns that lead from the oasis to somewhere more interesting.

Archived