Showcase for tidy bases

42 minutes ago, CutChemist said:

Thank you, I used body armor to drop the pieces more precise and just kept realigning if it looked off.

Thank you :) The spiky things I think you're referring to are the glass statues from Antlion. They currently decorate my sanity station. MY map is set to huge, currently im using almost all the PK decidious.

tSJYSa3.jpg

Thanks!

Antlion is still pretty unknown to me. I will research a bit.. (:

5 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

I hope we'll see some more images of creative base design here! C'mon, folks: share!

Agreed! Share!

On 3/26/2017 at 10:10 PM, disies said:

I don't turn off anything. I have two toothtrap fields and also as Wickerbottom my "on tentacles" with me. If I hear them I get rid of my backpack and run forward. And because I hate surprises I have always 2 meals in my inventory, resources for campfires/torches and a lot of other junk. Up until now everything went well. If I decide to venture out I mostly go after a hound wave attacked me/and or the seasonal boss has been defeated. This way I make sure that nothing disturbs me. It needs a little planning but it keeps me save from too much action. :D

Heheh.  Although I have never had the time, patience or planning ability to make one of these beautiful, decorated, symmetrical megabases (SO JEALOUS) a _lot_ of the way I just naturally play all the time is...surprisingly similar to this!  Toothtrap fields, ditch backpack for armour, always, always, ALWAYS have torch/campfire _and_ food materials on me, and when it gets up to the higher numbers of days, I don't go out on a longer exploring/foraging trip until right AFTER the hounds have come, 'cos otherwise I know I'll get interrupted and caught out without my nice traps.

Except for the On Tentacles part ('cos I usually tend to play as Willow or Wigfrid) it's almost _weird_ how similar our playstyles are. : P

(Where's a picture of MY base to add to this thread?  It's not symmetrical and nice, that's where it is.  Heh.)

...Notorious

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Heheh.  Although I have never had the time, patience or planning ability to make one of these beautiful, decorated, symmetrical megabases (SO JEALOUS) a _lot_ of the way I just naturally play all the time is...surprisingly similar to this!  Toothtrap fields, ditch backpack for armour, always, always, ALWAYS have torch/campfire _and_ food materials on me, and when it gets up to the higher numbers of days, I don't go out on a longer exploring/foraging trip until right AFTER the hounds have come, 'cos otherwise I know I'll get interrupted and caught out without my nice traps.

Except for the On Tentacles part ('cos I usually tend to play as Willow or Wigfrid) it's almost _weird_ how similar our playstyles are. : P

(Where's a picture of MY base to add to this thread?  It's not symmetrical and nice, that's where it is.  Heh.)

...Notorious

Is it tidy at least? If so maybe you'll get inspiration from this thread which was actually my intention. Before my Wicker world I never bothered to try to make anything a bit pretty, so I'm also still new to this. I wrote it somewhere that I already planned some new projects and I'm excited to get started already (might take until the weekend though -_-)..

Do you also carry a lot of junk with you because you think you might need it one time but that rarely happens? Often I look at my inventory and keep thinking what I could dismiss but nope, I need all of it.. :3

Yep. That's pretty much it.  I'm a bit of a hoarder.  : P  Comes from starting in singleplayer Don't Starve, I guess--kinda got into crotchety bachelor habits even though I didn't even actually play it all THAT long compared to my time in DST.  Heh. 

...alTHOUGH, considering I play with random seasons and also get newbies joining even when it's nasty out, it might not be all that useless.  I cannot TELL you the number of times I've whipped together a thermal stone for somebody who joined at winter--because I carry rocks!--or gave someone a spare umbrella I had around for the rain. 

And that time it suddenly went BANG! straight from a very short winter to..._summer_?!  Well, instead of everything just burning down/overheating--after moment of shock and panic to yell "WHAT?!" in all caps, of course--I took the grass and nitre I already had on me to make a small endothermic fire so everyone could cool off their thermal stones, researched and made the firepit, mined the _full-sized_ mini-glaciers that were still around and found out we had JUST enough gears in the chest to make a fling-o-matic.

Sometimes over-prepared is just...prepared. :D

As for my base...I TRY to keep it tidy. But there always ends up being _some_thing on the floor at some point because I run out of chest space or just get frazzled and forget.  I also don't use the geometric placement mod, which can drive some people batty...

...Notorious

I was inspired by KittyDub and Mezukie. This is what we are working on with <default> on the public server The Taste of Canadian Lumber:

20170329010306_1.jpg20170329015731_1.jpg20170329015742_1.jpg20170329015753_1.jpg20170329015803_1.jpg20170329015813_1.jpg20170329015822_1.jpg20170329010306_1.jpg

The server has Festive Pack, 8TopHat and Configurable Marble Shrubs on. All by <default>. We'd like to hear ideas what to put there, because as far as sustainability is concerned, we are fine (it is a second main base, another is more for farmers, near the antlion desert and the savannah, neighbouring two igloos).

WEeeell, I don't often happen to take really good shots of my bases that show the whole thing, but here's one to give you an idea:

christmasstarving3.png

...or part of it anyway.  This was, I believe, from "Starving in a Winter Wonderland".  Notice how the chests are nicely kind of lined up and there's a couple of signs (somebody made a sign for just Bernie  : P)...but there are random water-balloons on the floor.

But they're _lined-up_ water ballons!  (snerk)

Next, my longest-running base by far:

onefootinthegrave.png

Camp One-Foot-in-The-Grave!  With its signature floor-farms and floor-bushes.  : P  Most of the flooring was stolen with a pitchfork, heh.  Used to look a little more symmetrical when there was a tent in that big open space; I keep forgetting to make a new one.  This is not, of course, the _whole_ base--there's a grass field/tree forest, tooth-trap pile, and berry bushes/bee-boxes area nearby.

And last but not least (part of) the one from the March of Civilization server:

starvania.png

The Grand and Glorious City-State of Starvania!  ;)  This is mainly the outside part, but it does show off the nicely lined-up drying racks...and where my farms WOULD be lined up if I didn't want to leave the burned Gobbler Shrine where it is because it looks awesome.  And gasp!  Actual _decoration_!  With marble statues!

(Also the stagehand.  Followed me home from a late-night foraging session by lighter-light YEARS ago and has been living here ever since.  : P)

But this picture was mainly taken, of course, to show the evil satanic circle Venn diagram made by my fling-o-matics.  XD

And, that's how I do bases.  Basically I need somebody else with me to help plan things out while I'm just worrying about whether or not we have the stuff to _live_, who can decorate while I'm out foraging or whatever.  'Cos if it's down to just me--and it usually is--I end up with a homey, uneven mess of random stuff near the firepit that causes me to have to put the fling-o-matic in the wrong place, and everything just kind of ends up where I had room for it at the time.  : P

(I kinda play the Sims the same way:  "You want decoration? You've got wallpaper with patterns on it, shut up!")

...Notorious

On 3/27/2017 at 9:23 AM, CutChemist said:

Work so far, those rook walls were for a spider pen but the spiders kept escaping when I got off screen :thinking:, I have alot of pig villages cause the PK needs a large following :p, one of them is for killing the Goose exclusively.

why is your pointer is shifted to the right of actual mouse position

also, op, you can place mini signs right at chests spot (geo placement helps) so you can turn camera and see signs from any angle

1 hour ago, asdrub43l said:

This is a game i'm hosting. I had played in big camps before but had never built my own after 1500 hours of dst. 3 regular players, and other buddies come whenever they can.

A lot is to be reworked, so i'm not showing everything

http://imgur.com/a/g86VU

love those cornucopias at your storage room, i bet most of players doesn't even know what that "gross horn" means although it's a common knowledge. damn, lost at zoo, it's super awesome.

another edit: lost second time at swastika beeboxes

@Arlesienne nice statue! haha! I love all the skeletons and cobblestone always looks so pretty with grass turf and flowers <3

@CaptainChaotica hey! thanks for showing your base! It is tidier than I thought! Well done : D

@asdrub43l impressive work! I already planned some kind of a farmer pig's plot for my world. Nice to see that someone already built something like this. I like your bee queen hat place, love those moon rock walls. Very nice touch at your mushroom planters. Works very well with the skeletons and the cave turf. Also your zoo is very interesting. I love how you put down the related turf to your creatures. Your moonrock farm is incredible! Nice work

Thanks for showing!

5 hours ago, brbrmensch said:

also, op, you can place mini signs right at chests spot (geo placement helps) so you can turn camera and see signs from any angle

I know. The signs block the chests though and I look seeing the skins a bit better.

I'm gonna post a few pictures here. I started a new server a few days ago with Winter Feast enabled and I'm not very far yet, my whole main area is a mess right now so I won't be showing that to anyone :p I'll just show the parts that are sort of done [for now] I guess. 

20170330044636_1.jpg 

20170330045624_1.jpg 

Your bases are always so pretty!  Even when they glitch--I'm also oddly fond of the one with the "swimming pool".  XD

(Seriously, I could NOT do this level of planning ahead...! and also, I'm terrified that if I did anything like that last picture, it would all immdiately burst into flames.  Oldschool Willow + tons of grass + tons of twigs + WOODEN walls/gates = no.)

Although, Camp One-Foot-in-the-Grave has grass geckos now too!  I was just de-withering some grass last summer and suddenly POINK! and I actually got to see the change happen. They're all now wandering around the base in random directions, which suits me fine--it's now winter (you know what winters on THAT server are like!), and I can scare them whenever I need more grass.  : P

...I hope none of them wander close enough to the large cemetery only a couple of screens away to get killed off by all the ghosts that'll pop out during the full moon.  Camp One-Foot-in-the-Grave was named that for a _reason_, after all...

...Notorious

On 3/25/2017 at 4:15 PM, Rellimarual said:

Wicker seems like exactly the right character to build/maintain this kind of base!

Wickerbottom is my favourite character to use when it comes to creating beautiful bases.

... The high sanity always helps, because making something appealing to the eye never fails to induce insanity.

1 hour ago, Rellimarual said:

@Kittydub what's up with your geckos? How did you get them isolated into the side pens and how do you get the grass out with no gates?

I hammered two side fences, chased them in (Took me a while, not recommended :P) and when three finally got in there, I used the panflute to close them off. And I don't take that grass out for now, I just don't want new gekko's to spawn basically. I have more than 40 grass planted, so it should be fine for now. 

I see. In the solo game I host on my laptop, I find that if too many cut grass accumulate in the gecko pen I will get serious lag around the base. Lag around an elaborate base has been a problem even on the dedicated server I rent from Citadel, and I'm not entirely sure how to avoid it if that's even possible. 

2 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

I see. In the solo game I host on my laptop, I find that if too many cut grass accumulate in the gecko pen I will get serious lag around the base. Lag around an elaborate base has been a problem even on the dedicated server I rent from Citadel, and I'm not entirely sure how to avoid it if that's even possible. 

Even in a solo game? That's good to know, thanks :/ I have plenty of room there to expand so I'll be working on that next I guess. 

Archived