Batteries Now Useless? Game Unplayable?

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

There's an easy way to avoid you supercomputer overheating. Build an algae terrarium next to it. Deconstruct when complete and filled with water. Deconstruct the water bottle. Don't mop the floor. Dirt cheap and easy watercooling.

Can you please explain to me how you keep your dupes from then immediately using that water FOR the supercomputer. Because I've tried that several times now, and every damn time, they take it right back off the floor and put it in the computer.

P.S. The idea that we're supposed to put electrical things in a pool/puddle of water to keep them from instantly overheating (despite surrounding temps being freezing) is kinda ... silly. Surely this can't be intentional? I mean, having certain things REQUIRE water for cooling (like dupes have to deliver it or something) would be fine because that's realistic (water-cooled cpu anyone? lol), but electrical things IN water? C'mon now lol.

(And yes, before people holler, I realize some electrical components can be submerged in water and all that jazz; I'm speaking generally :p)

12 minutes ago, Keyimin said:

P.S. The idea that we're supposed to put electrical things in a pool/puddle of water to keep them from instantly overheating (despite surrounding temps being freezing) is kinda ... silly. Surely this can't be intentional? I mean, having certain things REQUIRE water for cooling (like dupes have to deliver it or something) would be fine because that's realistic (water-cooled cpu anyone? lol), but electrical things IN water? C'mon now lol.

(And yes, before people holler, I realize some electrical components can be submerged in water and all that jazz; I'm speaking generally :p)

I could see a tech upgrade where you can connect various machines with a liquid input and output to create just that, a water cooled system or if the situation calls a water heating system.

1 hour ago, TopSloth said:

I could see a tech upgrade where you can connect various machines with a liquid input and output to create just that, a water cooled system or if the situation calls a water heating system.

See, now that would make perfect sense and be pretty "cool" (or hot ;D).

5 hours ago, scientas said:

My game was only at cycle 5. No super computer or large battery yet. I guess I will restart and build my power grid underwater next time. I tried planting wheezewort, pressuring rooms, basically everything suggested in this thread. Nothing worked. First truly game-breaking thing I've experienced. If I can't run basic logical power then the game has become unplayable to me. I had three dupes die within the first 7 days after three straight 200+ run throughs where I just ran out of things to do. That's not good progression.

No need to have power grid under water. I never had any overheating and never cooled anything with water until later in game. Maybe you need to open your base more.
I tried starting new game on current version, played as usual and no issue (except my PC had full hard disk), wanted to record first 10 cycles but after 6-7 my HD was completely full...

https://youtu.be/VkRJFfcQrh4

Maybe you started in previous version 211197 where was oxylite bug?

• Fixed bug where Oxylite was emitting much less oxygen than it was in previous builds

13 minutes ago, scientas said:

I restarted my game and now have an instant food shortage because game started with no rations in the storage bin. SMH.

Or your version is somehow corrupted...

5 hours ago, Keyimin said:

Can you please explain to me how you keep your dupes from then immediately using that water FOR the supercomputer. Because I've tried that several times now, and every damn time, they take it right back off the floor and put it in the computer.

you can't, and the water also evaporates or otherwise dissipates in some way eventually. just get your first tier piping and pump some water there, put a drain outlet right over it and have this flow back to a reservoir

2 minutes ago, solounomas said:

you can't, and the water also evaporates or otherwise dissipates in some way eventually. just get your first tier piping and pump some water there, put a drain outlet right over it and have this flow back to a reservoir

I know how to drip water onto things, but ty :D

I was inquiring specifically about Saturnus' proposed "easy" solution.

23 hours ago, Argelle said:

Just what I was wondering for my new base (days 5-6). If I understand your post heckubis, it's a good move to seal the base with pneumatic doors left and right, at every corridors? (even if it cost a bit of copper when you're not rich of). Related to this : any rock wall will keep the pressure or some are porous?

not every corridor just where its needed.  the crops need a minimum pressure and isn't hard to maintain but if your overall usage of air in the base is high  without doors to keep their air in their area the plants will stifle. having an oxidizer in the room with them even if your dupes are not regularly going in  to it will keep the plants pressurized .

but in the early expansion stage 1-10 the expansion of the base itself reduces air pressure as your adding more room for the same gas. each tile you dig up is a vacuum that will take its share of the air pressure you had as your digging. so slowing expansion to your oxygen supplies will help maintain overall pressure in your base

Seems random to me.  My current game had the mush maker overheating in about 2 cycles if you can believe that.  That and the constant breaking of everything now (including wires) has most of my dupes running repair duty all day.  I'm sure it will be tweaked some more.

23 minutes ago, tehMugwump said:

Seems random to me.  My current game had the mush maker overheating in about 2 cycles if you can believe that.  That and the constant breaking of everything now (including wires) has most of my dupes running repair duty all day.  I'm sure it will be tweaked some more.

Yeah my dupes are constantly repairing as well. Heaven forbid water touches regular tile anywhere.

21 hours ago, bzgzd said:

No need to have power grid under water. I never had any overheating and never cooled anything with water until later in game. Maybe you need to open your base more.

Maybe you started in previous version 211197 where was oxylite bug?

• Fixed bug where Oxylite was emitting much less oxygen than it was in previous builds

Or your version is somehow corrupted...

Definitely have current version. It's funny that two of potential solutions are that my base is too open or that my base isn't open enough. Seems like there isn't much leeway...

Think I got most everything fixed, just have the "hydrogen pump/gas filter doesn't pump or connect bug" now.

you can have a garden not attached to your base in a separate biome. I'm growing my reeds in a swamp and I usually grow my blossoms in nearby ice biomes. but this one was perfect for a fridge and ac so I had to build all that in there. my kitchen is heated by almost overheating batteries but they are stable in temp for the kitchen itself. for electrical not every thing needs to be running on the same circuit.

and remember thin atmosphere heats up very, very quickly

5 hours ago, scientas said:

Yeah my dupes are constantly repairing as well. Heaven forbid water touches regular tile anywhere.

not just that, the damage events are clearly broken atm. I got newly built tiles immediately breaking from water damage before ever getting anywhere near any liquid, or even powered machines. fortunately this is still pretty rare

5 hours ago, solounomas said:

not just that, the damage events are clearly broken atm. I got newly built tiles immediately breaking from water damage before ever getting anywhere near any liquid, or even powered machines. fortunately this is still pretty rare

I had a new tile not be recognized as valid because of repair so I couldn't build a cot on a brand new surface. I think the repair mechanic should go unless something actually breaks.

Archived