How does heat conducts in the game?

Let's say I put 1000g of ice at a temperature of -10.6C in a Compactor, according to the Specific Heat Capacity of ice: 2.05(J/g)/K, does this mean to turn the ice into water, it will need 1000 * 10 * 2.05 = 20500J of energy?

But, how does conductivity comes into play, will it be different if I put the ice on the floor instead of in the compactor?

Or, is it like this: if the ice is in the Compactor, they will only conduct heat with the compactor.

And if it's on the floor, it will conduct heat with what's surrounding it, like the floor and building all have effects? or only the air?

The problem is, your ice on the flore will start thermal conductivity with gases above it or with liquids in the same tile where ice is and gase or liquid will start thermal conductivity with neighboring tiles etc and every second tier themperature will be changed so to calculate even 9 tiles over time you'll need to use differential of a function with is take some time, probably alot of time.

So, let's say we have 1000 kg of ICE -10,6C, and we will drop it into water 1000kg +21,2C, so

ICE 1000 kg Specific heat capacity: 2.05, Thermal conductivity: 2.18, Themp -10,6C

Water  1000kg Specific heat capacity: 4.18, Thermal conductivity 0.61, Themp +21,2

ICE heat capacity = 1000*2,05=2050 (got misstake here - made edit, now all fine)

Water heat capacity = 1000*4,18=4180

Let's see in %:

4180+2005=6230(100%), so for ICE 2050/6185=0,3291(32,91%) for water 4180/6230=0.6709(67,09%) it's tier haet capacity in %.

Now Themperature and heat capacity should be multiplied to understand what themperature will be when themperature Ice and water became same:

ICE: -10,6*0,3291=-3,49

Water: 21,2*0,6709=14,22

Now not sure about this word, you say fold? -3,49+14,22= +10,73C will be when ICE and water got same themperature, after unlimited period of time.

But how long it will take - I don't know, and this is a problem! I don't know how to calculate THIS!

I found this! 1J=1W/s help! Some one! How to calculate it!

Is this right calculation? Tell me!

Thermal conductivity of ICE and water let's multiplie them 2.18*0,61=1,3298 W/meter

1000kg = 1000000g, so for water 1000000g*4,18J/g=4180000J and ICE 1000000g*2.05J/g=2050000J,

Not sure about your english words, is it FOLD? 4180000+2050000=6230000J

63200000J= 63200000 W/s let's say tile = 1 meter ok? or not ok? hehehe, if it's not so IDK what to do we have to remuve meters some how.

63200000W/s / 1,3298W/m (If we think 1 tile is 1 meter so W/m=W/1=W, ok? or it's pointless, so ok? right?) = 4684915 seconds

How many seconds in one cycle? 600? so it's like 7808 cycles and we will gain same themperature, CRAZY... tell me what you think

37 minutes ago, Nativel said:

Hehehe, it is, but flatland with 1 meter width)))

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, the "m" in (W/m)K troubled me for a while too, but I think you are right man, 1 tile for 1 ton of water, so the length of a tile is 1 meter.

The rest of your wonderful calculation really helped, thanks again.

So, you are saying an object is interacting thermally with other neighboring 8 tiles and the 1 tile it sits on, so total of 9 tile comes in to play, are you sure about this, man?

ps: English is not my native language neither, so can't help you with the words, but I understand you just fine, so don't worry about it.

1 hour ago, Nativel said:

I found this! 1J=1W/s help! Some one! How to calculate it!

Is this right calculation? Tell me!

Thermal conductivity of ICE and water let's multiplie them 2.18*0,61=1,3298 W/meter

1000kg = 1000000g, so for water 1000000g*4,18J/g=4180000J and ICE 1000000g*2.05J/g=2050000J,

Not sure about your english words, is it FOLD? 4180000+2050000=6230000J

63200000J= 63200000 W/s let's say tile = 1 meter ok? or not ok? hehehe, if it's not so IDK what to do we have to remuve meters some how.

63200000W/s / 1,3298W/m (If we think 1 tile is 1 meter so W/m=W/1=W, ok? or it's pointless, so ok? right?) = 4684915 seconds

How many seconds in one cycle? 600? so it's like 7808 cycles and we will gain same themperature, CRAZY... tell me what you think

you mean they will become the same temperature after 7808 cycles? that's an impossible number... that's insane... :)../.

hold your hourses ,i think you have gone horribly wrong. it should be 1 Watt = 1 Joules per second.

And also heat transfer should only count the material with the lowest thermal conductivity (from THIS!), just like filling a basin with a bottle and the other way round.

using nativel's value

1 hour ago, Nativel said:

ICE 1000 kg Specific heat capacity: 2.05, Thermal conductivity: 2.18, Themp -10C

Water  1000kg Specific heat capacity: 4.18, Thermal conductivity 0.61, Themp +21C

in order to melt 1000kg ice (assume it melts at 0 C, you need ...

2.05x1000x10 = 20500joules  

(Specific heat capacity = J/[kg*Teperature change] )

Now to the thermal conductivity~

the lower thermal conductivity in this case is water which is 0.61 k and in the thermal conduction equation :

Q    =     k*A*[Temperature difference]       

t                                 d

i assume 'A' which is the cross section area and 'd' in this game is 1.

thus t  =   20500j / (0.61 x 31)

and it should melt at 1080.8 sec or 1.8 cycle...

so i went on and do some testing for different area of contact with those values above (water 294.1 k, ice 263.1k)

YQEOfSe.png

and found out the my calculation is wrong : x
previously someone tested that the heat is transfered 1 cell to the side so there is a maximum of 4 surface that can transfer heat.

What i found there is that the ice that mad been dig behave like ice tile with 1 side facing the water, 

a tile melts at 2.4 C while debris melts exactly at -0.6

thought latent heat of melting at works here :confused:

so results, Debris : 500kg melts at 4.5 cycle, 1000kg melts at 9.8 cycle

Tile   :   4 surface = 4.2cycle, 3surface = 4.5, 2 surface = 5.8 and 1 surface = around 12 cycle.

what the hell is going on.

1 hour ago, angryliu said:

English is not my native language neither, so can't help you with the words, but I understand you just fine, so don't worry about it.

I'm russian.

1 hour ago, angryliu said:

So, you are saying an object is interacting thermally with other neighboring 8 tiles and the 1 tile it sits on, so total of 9 tile comes in to play, are you sure about this, man?

It's for gas yes! 8 tiles for gas or 4, not sure about might be it's 4 tiles for gas, hmmm I've to to my tests, because I'm not sure about Diagonal cells, but for ICE, it's 1 tile above it if it's gas, and the same tile if there where your ICE is you have liquid, like water. But for GAS it will be 8 tiles I suppose yes, or 4 tiles, because gas fly, but again some times gas go down and can start conductivity with objects on surface, on flore, like ICE and 7 or 3 tiles of gases around that gas. I'll do tests and we will see it

35 minutes ago, Nativel said:

I'm russian.

It's for gas yes! 8 tiles for gas or 4, not sure about might be it's 4 tiles for gas, hmmm I've to to my tests, because I'm not sure about Diagonal cells, but for ICE, it's 1 tile above it if it's gas, and the same tile if there where your ICE is you have liquid, like water. But for GAS it will be 8 tiles I suppose yes, or 4 tiles, because gas fly, but again some times gas go down and can start conductivity with objects on surface, on flore, like ICE and 7 or 3 tiles of gases around that gas. I'll do tests and we will see it

OK, I'm Chinese.

OK, got it. I'm testing something as well, I'll be in touch. Good luck.

Natival your brilliant and do your absolute best to express yourself clearly...I have been abusing English my entire life and your using it better than me.. English is like math. Once you know the formula errors are apparent and are easily overlooked.

yes I agree with the one meter thing in Canada we use the metric system and volumes of liquids and solids can be referenced I'm similar ways

1 kg of liquid is 1 litre without assuming any more into a 3 dimensional reality that the game dose not have.

1l =1000ml 1ml=1cm 

Heckubis, mate, I thank you.

Ok guys, it's looks like test between materials is over. But it was small test, think I should do more tests, something bigger, with wide area. 
And I was very surprised, so you really have to see it, look:

Sorry for my accent, hehehe

1 minute ago, heckubis said:

I use water heating and cooling because the air heat transfer rates . its not perfect but has loads of energy free advantages and dupes don't mind standing in clean water

hehehe, right. So I'll do test with wide area of oxygen then.

I figured the smaller room allowed for the top of the rising air to still have more thermal energy allowing it to disperse evenly. I'm thinking half the height may have a larger column or a thermal cloud that builds up at the top

Yep, it's something like 90% of thermal energy goes up, and 5% to side out. And one more think at the end of test, we can see that heat go slightly more on left side.
I saw it before, with gases, carbon dioxide goes down in oxygen, but it's goes slightly on right side, I suppose we have centr of the mass in this game and it's in bottom-bottom slightly right side. So cold and heavy wight gases will go bottom-bottom-slightly right and heated and light weight gases go upper-upper-slightly left.

Archived