Can't get rid of Mods. Help.

On 23.3.2017 at 2:53 AM, Belierdeblue said:

I can't play with my friend due to the mods saying thier workshop number instead of the actual mod. Also I can't delete them. I have tried going into the files and deleting them but they won't go away. Anyone know any suggestions?

I also had this problem recently at a pc from a friend who had windows 10.
A mod was updated and instead of updateting the mod, the folder was partly deleted (folder bwith 0Byte).

Windows 10 was blocking everything in the programs folder and was also preventing to delete/update any mods.

The solution is to righclick on your dont starve folder and change the authorization for your user account. Even if you are admin, you have to give you the rights by adding checkmarks there. (google for an explanation how to do it in your language).

But my friend was still not able to delete the mods, cause the folders with 0Byte were corrupted.
The only solutin was to boot windows in "save mode" to delete those folders.

After doing these two steps everything was fine.

edit:
an easy way to get into save mode it:

To get in save mode you can create a new txt file, paste this in it:
shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00
and rename the file to eg. "safety mode.bat" (so remove the ending "txt" and rename it to "bat").
Then execute it. this will bring you to save mode, where you can delete those files. Then just restart to get to normal mode again.

Edited by Serpens

23 minutes ago, RedHairedHero said:

You should actually go into Steam and unsubscribe from the mods you want to remove instead of deleting the folder. If you don't unsubscribe every time you launch the game it will re-download the mods you're subscribed to.

in case it is the problem with windows 10 I described above, also unsubsribing a mod won't help. The folder is undeletable.

But of course unsubscribing is the normal way how it should work, if windows does not block you.

Edited by Serpens

23 hours ago, Belierdeblue said:

I can't play with my friend due to the mods saying thier workshop number instead of the actual mod. Also I can't delete them. I have tried going into the files and deleting them but they won't go away. Anyone know any suggestions?

Please try to help PeterA to solve the issue, since I have no windows 10 to test.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/dont-starve-together/windows-10-blocking-mod-updatedelete-corrupting-folders-r4259/?do=findComment&comment=7315

Edited by Serpens

Does anyone know the fix around this? I feel like I'm having to boot in safe mode every other day just to delete these non-updating mod folders...kinda sucks....

But u know what doesn't suck?? WHOEVER FOUND OUT THIS FIX!!! Yeah still pretty happy that someone found a fix to the 'how to delete this folder my computer denied, I, the ADMIN, all rights to..." Thanks man :)

11 hours ago, jenndizzlef0shizzle said:

Does anyone know the fix around this? I feel like I'm having to boot in safe mode every other day just to delete these non-updating mod folders...kinda sucks....

But u know what doesn't suck?? WHOEVER FOUND OUT THIS FIX!!! Yeah still pretty happy that someone found a fix to the 'how to delete this folder my computer denied, I, the ADMIN, all rights to..." Thanks man :)

I had it only once and i simply unsubscribed the mod deleted the folder manuall and resubbed worked for me perfectly. On Windows 10 Klei is mention that u should run Steam as Admin. I didnt had this bug yet again but thats how it worked for me without any problems but im using windows 7 tho.

Edited by Deathlord Avon

Anyone found a permanent solution?
I friend of mine always have to delete mods in safe mode (and delete mods) to update any mods...

steam does not start automatically (this was suggested somewhere) and he already set up all the folder rights he was able to find. But problem is there are like 3 different right menus with alot of different "users", 5 times himself and all in all it is just a big mess.
So it would help alot if someone knows exactly "make this and that setting there".

Edited by Serpens

On 3/22/2017 at 8:53 PM, Belierdeblue said:

hello there, i had this problem as well and what i did was unsubscribe from all the mods then uninstall steam itself to get rid of any file that might be corrupting the mods. when i reinstalled steam and installed the game again then subscribed to the mods they showed up working! hope this helps anyone else who has this problem.