[TIPS] How to spice up your survival

I see so many advanced players share their best  tips on how to make your DST experience worse more exciting, so how about we share some of them here?

I'd like to see fun or challenging or stupid stuff you can do in DST to get you out of your comfort zone and go wiiiiild~

Like adopt 4 smallbirds and raise them into adulthood, don't eat meatballs, be neighbors with Dragonfly type of thing.

I know a lot of you don't go on Reddit, but the /r/dontstarve sub has been doing little challenge competitions to drive activity in the sub.

This time, the "advanced" group has a challenge where you try to survive a 75 day winter right from the start and make as visually pleasing a base as possible while you're at it. I think that's something that'll spice up an advanced player's game. It's seperated into DS and DST, of course.

I'll link the post and the rules here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dontstarve/comments/5zy1y6/second_rdontstarve_base_building_competition/

Edit: Oh! I have a few challenges of my own.

The first tier challenge is "No Firepit". You must survive an entire year without making a firepit or endothermic firepit.

The second tier challenge is "No Campfires Too". You must survive an entire year without either a campfire or endothermic fire. It's possible! But hard!

One of the most fun things I did when first playing DST was going on a public server kind of late in autumn and then lived totally nomadic during the winter when everyone else had left. I traveled the world with Glommer as my sidekick, scavenging meat where I could, raiding deserted bases and looking for walrus camps, which were literally in the last  unexplored map branch. On the last day of winter I got the tam and tusk.

Just now, Luckcu13 said:

This time, the "advanced" group has a challenge where you try to survive a 75 day winter right from the start and make as visually pleasing a base as possible while you're at it. I think that's something that'll spice up an advanced player's game. It's seperated into DS and DST, of course.

I used to do this back in DS alone, made communities and suburbs inhabited by pig and rabbit men with farm towns, cities and set pieces, mazes, etc... good times... good times ;v;

Base in swamp

Play Wes or a character your not good with (maxwell would also fit this role if you don't want to go full ham)

Do a no resurface challenge after getting base supplies

Only use weak weapons
kill all bosses
no crockpot
stuff like that

If wanting to try playing with difficulty mods -  Kindling Fire - fire  and even rope production becomes no laughing matter with the right settings there. Cannibalisim - for the bleed when injured and slipping into shock (fall asleep, whilst still bleeding out) if you using poor medical items and Thirst, (In a sort of Beta - we are still working on it to make feature complete / squash bugs) for dehydration. 

Oh and of course there is always - Hard Mode which I haven't tried yet admittedly my gf rages enough already when I add difficulty mods. 

Fun times.

I actually just did this, (regular ds) start world war 3

grabed three small rock lobsters

a herd of pengulls 

a pig king village (was actually moved with deconstruction staff)

2 spider dens (one turned into a spider queen prefight so 1)

a tree guard 

abigal

and deerclops

in a swamp

i was going to take record it but who knew, it lagged and in order to start it I had to attack everything so I died, and I thought I still had a touchstone left (I didn't)

I'm intrigued on the 75-day winter one...I like the idea of a long but not _infinite_ winter.  I'm already used to the 40-day variety myself (by accident) so COULD I go almost as long again after that?  Hmmm...  (Problem with decorating the base up during winter is you can't _see_ whatever nice flooring you put down under the snow!  I've actually told new players:  "It's actually fancier-looking than it looks right now.  Wait until spring."  : P  I mean, you can see everything ELSE, sure, but a lot of my decorating involves stealing fancy flooring with a pitchfork...)

And the no campfire of any kind for a year...?  Tell me more.  You can't _cool off_ by lighting a tree with a torch!  Are you allowed to have a crockpot?  Living in the caves without one doesn't work out well--poisonous mushrooms and monster meat aren't much fun unless you cook them into meatballs.

My own spicing up? 

Well, there's the one I do all the time nowdays:  Randomise the seasons!  And do not, repeat, DO.  NOT. use the season clock mod, Combined Status, or anything else that tells you stuff ahead of time.  The idea is to be taken by _surprise_ the first year, and then continue to deal with whatever hand you got dealt in future years.  You can get anything from your favourite season lasting forever to not existing at all, from the longest year possible (180 days!) to the shortest.  You can have all four seasons or only one (the lowest I've gotten so far is two).  Try it sometime--it's fun!  :D 

Oh, and if you wanna keep track of what the planet is gonna do next? Don't use mods--just plant birch trees nearby and watch your character for shivering or sweating.  That's it!  Also, _don't leave nitre on the ground while mining_, make sure you always have some grass on you, and make a winter garment way earlier than you think you might need it.  Trust me.  You'll find yourself paying close attention to the lighting and basing your next decisions off of what the leaves on the trees are doing--the same way animals know when to build a thicker nest or whatever.  And that's one of the things I love about it!

Then there's the No Science Machine challenge which is old as dirt, aka the "We Don't Need No Education" challenge as I called it for funsies (no, you may NOT play as Wickerbottom), and the March of Civilization, which is still "in beta".  I haven't finished it myself yet, as I keep switching off to my other servers every now and then.  : P  You spend the first (normal length) year as a "hunter-gatherer", for starters.

...Notorious

Capt is it possible to randomize seasons and also have long seasons set at same time? Also does random seasons randomize each successive year randomly or does it fall into a sustained pattern? 

Something I have been thinking of trying to get a mod going for eventually  is the occasional Solar Eclipse so that you have a full 24 hour period of darkness. I haven't really thought through all the mechanics on it yet tho.

I mostly challenge myself by playing Wes on public servers (usually the Klei official ones) and setting myself a goal to fulfill.  The goal isn't important per se and they're usually fairly simple things like:  "ride into camp on a beefalo in the first week and drop an alch and bird-cage", "put up sci machine and crock-pot and firepit at the portal", "at every intersection something -- a sci machine, a crock-pot, a fire-pit, bird-cage, traps-n-racks ... just ... something", "base underground to explore using the caves for quicker surface transport and put up signage to the by-ways", or even "scatter bee-boxes around the world near roads".  I usually avoid "RP a mime", because I'm chatty.

The point of the goal isn't to be particularly difficult, it's to give me something to work towards before I inevitably die, at which point I log out.  I enjoy a risky play-style and inevitably I get Wes killed by doing something fun and dumb -- because that's the game I like or because RL just intervened -- so what I'm really up to is seeing if I can achieve my goals before I die.

Most often these days I don't try for a specific goal, I just see what comes up and how many of the various goals I can do.  Mostly my point is to make the other player's lives more fun -- or at least "funny".

Archived