So I'm a fan of bee-boxes.  It's not so much efficiency, as I usually play in the first Fall they're rarely a great answer.  I just like making them.

Back in the day there used to be a thing where if you put flowers for the bee-boxes too close to one another the bees would only visit some of the flowers.  This stopped you from dropping six in a tiny area -- like you sometimes see in pig villages.  The result of this is that I scatter my flower-fields over a fairly big area -- though I still keep them on one side of the bee-boxes.

I could go test this, and I probably will when I get a chance to play again, but -- for now:  Does anyone know if this is still true?  (I assume it is.)  If it's still true has anyone tested how far apart -- or how close -- one can put flowers?

I'm constantly finding that on a public server the flower-fields I build for my bee-boxes vanish as new players randomly pick them.  This happens despite me releasing some free-roaming bees to propagate them, and despite putting up signs saying "Please don't pick the flowers, the bees need them."  I am wondering about the required spacing of flowers for bee-boxes because I'm thinking maybe a good answer is to pack them as densely as possible and then wall the entire flower-field in.  Bees can fly right over a fully-enclosed wall blocking off an area -- they'll go around one not fully enclosed to find the entrance -- so by walling it off entirely I'd be keeping players out and bees would simply ignore the wall entirely.

Of course a griefer could still hammer or burn the wall -- I'm far too cheap to make stone walls, straw or wood at best I'm afraid, sorry.  But it would at least stop people doing it without thinking about it as you pass by -- which is how I think most new players treat flowers.

Archived